Windows 10: Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated

Discus and support Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello there,I installed Windows in a QEMU VM using DISM and BCDBOOT to speed up the process, and now I have noticed that it is already activated,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by lorhof1, May 18, 2022.

1. lorhof1 Win User

Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated

Hello there,I installed Windows in a QEMU VM using DISM and BCDBOOT to speed up the process, and now I have noticed that it is already activated, despite me never typing in an activation key. As this is a VM, it seems like there can't be a key in the mainboard, and my host also has no windows license in the mainboard.I was wondering how this can be possible.

:)

lorhof1, May 18, 2022
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

Hi there
    If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough to do.

1) ensure the disk is not mounted on the Host

2) edit the Windows xml definition file in the libvirt/qemu directory (virsh edit or whatever you use to edit xml files)
    and add the disk definition. File is in /etc/libvirt/qemu and the name is the name of your Windows VM.
    </disk>
    <disk type="block" device="disk">
    <driver name="qemu" type="raw"/>
    <source dev="/dev/sdg"/> <======= whatever the device is on your system -- lsblk will show devices
    <target dev="vda" bus="virtio"/> (for 2nd virtio device then replace vda by vdb etc )
    # <address type="pci" domain="0x0000" bus="0x06" slot="0x00" function="0x0"/> this line is generated when the VM is booted so you don't enter this one
    </disk>

3) if device hasn't been partitioned or whatever in windows then use in the Windows VMwindows as admin diskpart -> list disk ->select disk nn ->clean ->convert gpt ->create partition primary ->format fs=ntfs quick ->list vol ->selct vol xx ->assign

then exit

Now it's available as native NTFS drive (the GPT step is optional but I prefer using gpt drives)

on the Host you can see now the disk (after powering off the VM is indeed NTFS).

You will need to dedicate a whole disk for this though as a partition isn't a block device.

In this case the windows ntfs data is on /dev/sdg2 and it can be plugged in to any windows system.

Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated [​IMG]

This is useful when you need to capture things like WIM image, take system backup , copy large bits of data from the VM - where a USB stick is not large enough etc etc and want to use it on other Windows physical machines - saves defining large virtual disks and the other Windows machines you want to use the data on might not be "network acessible".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 18, 2022
  3. W1zzard Win User
    qemu-kvm

i'm missing some kind of free gui based management thing for qemu-kvm that lets me do common VM tasks

W1zzard, May 18, 2022
  4. Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 18, 2022
Thema:

Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated

1. Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated - Similar Threads - Installed QEMU system

2. Is my installation already activated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my installation already activated?: I downloaded the media creation tool to upgrade my PC to windows 10. When i opened it, it went straight to download instead of telling me to activate. I don't wanna activate after installing windows 10, so what do i do?I heard that you could link your activation to your...
  3. Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated: Hello there,I installed Windows in a QEMU VM using DISM and BCDBOOT to speed up the process, and now I have noticed that it is already activated, despite me never typing in an activation key. As this is a VM, it seems like there can't be a key in the mainboard, and my host...
  4. Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed Windows in a QEMU VM, system is already activated: Hello there,I installed Windows in a QEMU VM using DISM and BCDBOOT to speed up the process, and now I have noticed that it is already activated, despite me never typing in an activation key. As this is a VM, it seems like there can't be a key in the mainboard, and my host...
  5. Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P): Hi there Easy now. Pre-reqs : 1) Bootable version of Macrium Free (use create stand alone recoverable media) on USB and Macrium Free installed in the VM. (It's easier this way). 2) A copy of a running version of Windows\System32\DriverStore from a physical Windows system --...
  6. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  7. Windows activation in KVM/qemu virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation in KVM/qemu virtual machine: Hello, I have a problem with the activation of Win10 Pro. I have a digital license win7 upgrade in 2015 or something like that... I reinstalled my virtual machine with some new tweaks etc. the problem is now that I cannot activate Windows anymore with my Microsoft account...
  8. Copying QEMU VM's to new machine(s) don't require re-activation

Copying QEMU VM's to new machine(s) don't require re-activation: Hi folks one of the advantages of using KVM/QEMU's paravirtualisation drivers is that apart from the CPU Windows thinks it's running on an identical machine irrespective of the actual hardware so won't ask you to re-activate again (Office also doesn't ask for activation...
  9. W10 VM Bridged networking QEMU/KVM (External Switch)

W10 VM Bridged networking QEMU/KVM (External Switch): Hi folks Really SIMPLE way of getting Bridged networking to work in QEMU KVM for proper VM access to rest of your LAN -- equivalent to external switch in HYPER-V Note you need to do this after re-boot from host each time --you can set a script etc for permanence but as I...
  10. Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge: Hi folks For those running Windows VM's on Linux Hosts and want to try the Linux Hypervisor (VMWare and VBOX will run concurrently so you don't even need to power off any running Windows VM's) with decent networking you need to set up a network Bridge (roughly analogous to...