Windows 10: Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

Discus and support Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I installed a windows 10 on a 250gig ssd. Everything worked fine and windows did its thing. I restarted the comp a few times and no issues. Decided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Traviscrooks ii, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

So I installed a windows 10 on a 250gig ssd. Everything worked fine and windows did its thing. I restarted the comp a few times and no issues. Decided to take out the old intel hdd from the Dell but after I did. It doesn't load from the ssd. I hit f12 to go into boot and changed the 250gig to primary but it will not boot. Once I put the old hdd back in though it boots just fine from the ssd. Please help.

:)

Traviscrooks ii, Jun 3, 2023

2. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.

I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.

To install on the new SSD, would I unplug the WD 1 T HDD and install the new SSD drive on the MB and then install Win 10 on the SSD.

After the above, I assume I then reconnect The WD 1 T HDD. With the OS on the New SSD, will the apps and programs that are on the WD HDD operate or will I have to reinstall them on the new SSD As well how do I delete Win 10 from the HDD - do I simply delete the files or delete the partitions or just don’t bother. The WD HDD a was not even close to being full and was bought for faster access.

Any suggestions on how to get the new SSD to work properly and windows off the old WD HDD so it does not interfere with the new SSD would be appreciated.

Inthefairway, Jun 3, 2023
  3. Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD

Installed a new SSD, so my PC now has two drives. Have been running Windows 10 on the old HDD. I want to install Windows 10 on the new SSD. Using the Windows ISO DVD I made there is no choice where to install WIndows 10. I am not sure how to remove Windows
    10 from the old HDD and install it on the SSD to speed up boot.

I read where you cannot remove Windows 10 from the original HDD. Not sure if that is true.

ChuckDeVries, Jun 3, 2023
  4. ThomasAnt Win User

Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

error 0x800f0922 after new install on a new ssd .keeping the old HDD also on the same pc

Thank you for your reply Palcouk. The issue is not with the booting. I did a clean windows install on my new ssd . the boot from the ssd works fine. I get this error when trying to update windows ---error 0x800f0922.

Also while I am working on replacing my hdd with a new SSD i need help on installing ms office from my old HDD. how do i install ms office from my old HDD to the new SSD?

thanks once again,

Thomas A

ThomasAnt, Jun 3, 2023
Thema:

Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

1. Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart. - Similar Threads - Installed ssd removed

2. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted: HP Compaq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-os-on-new-ssd-after-old-hdd-got/e65c28bd-dc05-4cfa-aced-1579cbe32039
  3. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted: HP Compaq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-os-on-new-ssd-after-old-hdd-got/e65c28bd-dc05-4cfa-aced-1579cbe32039
  4. New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...: Hello, I have the same problem as JamesWesthead1 told about under this link:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hdd-with-new-windows-installation-wont-work/963c5a00-908e-43ae-86ab-8f040cf07e43I hope that DaveM121 will help me too!I would like to know...
  5. New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...: Hello, I have the same problem as JamesWesthead1 told about under this link:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hdd-with-new-windows-installation-wont-work/963c5a00-908e-43ae-86ab-8f040cf07e43I hope that DaveM121 will help me too!I would like to know...
  6. New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.: So I installed a windows 10 on a 250gig ssd. Everything worked fine and windows did its thing. I restarted the comp a few times and no issues. Decided to take out the old intel hdd from the Dell but after I did. It doesn't load from the ssd. I hit f12 to go into boot and...
  8. Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.

Installed windows on new ssd and removed old hdd but won't boot after install and restart.: So I installed a windows 10 on a 250gig ssd. Everything worked fine and windows did its thing. I restarted the comp a few times and no issues. Decided to take out the old intel hdd from the Dell but after I did. It doesn't load from the ssd. I hit f12 to go into boot and...
  9. New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation

New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation: Hello, I got a pre-built PC with windows 10 like 4 yers ago and have changed multiple parts on it except the HDD. This HDD had was old an making noses and had to get a new HDD because my my PC wouldn't boot on the old one. So I was able to get the USB windows installer and...
  10. PC won't boot after installing new SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC won't boot after installing new SSD: Hi, I just bought and installed a new SSD on my PC previously had an SSD and HD. But when I tried to boot the PC, it showed a message "reboot and select proper boot device... Press a key". I was able to boot the PC using windows boot manager. But the booting process is...