Windows 10: Installed windows to and booted to a new drive and lost access to everything, except the...

Discus and support Installed windows to and booted to a new drive and lost access to everything, except the... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So this is a bit of a situation I've got myself into, and I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find any help. So I had my windows installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Drift12345, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Installed windows to and booted to a new drive and lost access to everything, except the...

So this is a bit of a situation I've got myself into, and I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find any help.

So I had my windows installed onto an SSD along with some games and most of my files on a hard drive, and I also had an unused SSD as well that was empty.

Today I did a windows update where halfway through it stopped and the computer restarted and went into some sort of repair/troubleshooting state. I tried every option including uninstalling windows updates and trying to reset my pc to reinstall windows to no avail. I looked up some of the popular solutions around this and none of them worked. So I was stuck, my windows wouldn't work and there was no way forward.

So I got windows 10 onto a USB and used that, but I quickly ran into another problem: when it asked me to select a disk/partition to install windows onto, none of them worked. After researching, it seems my only option was to reformat a drive into the correct option, but obviously I didn't want to do that and lose all of the stuff on my drives because I had no backup or system restore point.

So I followed the instructions but on my unused SSD and installed windows onto there.

So now here I am and it's basically as if I factory reset my PC. The thing is though, my other hard drive and SSD are still there with all my files intact, including my old user and even the presumably corrupted windows files, but I can seemingly only boot now through my unused SSD. I used to log in with a password but now I log in with some microsoft pin, and I have no quick access to all my old files and programs. Plus, my other SSD is faster which is why Windows was on it in the first place.

So how do I get my old windows back? If I try and use the reset my pc option, it only reinstalls windows on this current SSD, not my other one. I've googled how to reinstall windows on another drive but the only options I can find entail an empty or new drive. I just want to go back to booting from my other SSD and having access to my files again.

I believe I'm using just the basic windows 10. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

:)

Drift12345, Jan 24, 2021
  2. GSG-9 Win User

Lost the Seagate...

The drive seems to be completely dead, my computer will not boot if I have it connected...to the windows cd or the new installation on the F1 drive (which is the boot drive now by the way)

Thanks for the above article, im booting into Vista: U 64 right now, I cant follow those steps if the drive is in, it will lock up before it gets that far or if its not a cold boot the drive does not appear on the list.

GSG-9, Jan 24, 2021
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 24, 2021
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Installed windows to and booted to a new drive and lost access to everything, except the...

cant install windows 8 on my cruciall ssd drive

Yeah, that was going to be my next suggestion. You can actually access the command prompt from inside the Windows installer, then run DiskPart and do a Clean command on the drive.

newtekie1, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Installed windows to and booted to a new drive and lost access to everything, except the...

1. Installed windows to and booted to a new drive and lost access to everything, except the... - Similar Threads - Installed booted drive

2. Lost everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost everything: Restarted my computer and it wiped out everything is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-everything/b99b4f59-196a-4216-955b-69e1750bf039
  3. Lost everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost everything: Restarted my computer and it wiped out everything is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-everything/b99b4f59-196a-4216-955b-69e1750bf039
  4. Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install: Hi, I inherited a computer from a friend. It had Windows 10 on it but an older HDD and older components, maybe 2010-2012ish. As far as i can tell they work fine. The OS and HDD is just real sluggish. So I got a 1TB SSD and attempted to install it to be the boot drive. I...
  5. Lost everything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost everything: Hey there, am hoping for some help, I realize this is probably an impossible ask, but nevertheless here I am. About a 2 months ago, my wife’s computer went into an endless loop of ‘diagnosing pc’. After numerous phone calls with Microsoft and endless troubleshooting attempts...
  6. Lost everything

Lost everything: I turned on my computer and it automatically updated my browser from Edge to Chromium Edge. It deleted all of my favorites and saved passwords to important websites that I visit often. How do I get them back?...
  7. Lost access to everything but google chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost access to everything but google chrome: I'm using a SuperSonic tablet running windows 10 that my college gave me but now I cant run anything but Google Chrome. I try to open settings but nothing happens, I try to open Control Panel but it tells me I lack the permissions to access, file manager does the same thing...
  8. Lost Everything on Windows 10 Install

Lost Everything on Windows 10 Install: how can I retrieve my lost data and art work. I have tried everything. thanks 13426
  9. lost everything

in Windows 10 Support
    lost everything: Turned pc on and bang lost everything.win ten was asking for me to buy. security license said expired. 10 manager said buy. what the heck happened? 4912
  10. Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied"

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied": I'm having a serious issue here with my external USB 3.0 HDD enclosures. They used to work fine with Windows 7. Now with Windows 10 I fought all last week trying to get Windows 10 to see the enclosures. I have no idea what happened but suddenly Window 10 was able to see the...