Windows 10: installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data

Discus and support installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My daughter installed windows 10 onto WD MyBook essential ext harddrive to update from windows 7 on her PC. she downloaded the update from microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Afici0nad0, Jan 15, 2020.

1. installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data

My daughter installed windows 10 onto WD MyBook essential ext harddrive to update from windows 7 on her PC.

she downloaded the update from microsoft site.

it appears all her saved files and backups were overwritten.

is there a way to uninstall and restore her files?

Thanks

BC

:)

Afici0nad0, Jan 15, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jan 15, 2020
  3. GSG-9 Win User
    Lost the Seagate...

The drive seems to be completely dead, my computer will not boot if I have it connected...to the windows cd or the new installation on the F1 drive (which is the boot drive now by the way)

Thanks for the above article, im booting into Vista: U 64 right now, I cant follow those steps if the drive is in, it will lock up before it gets that far or if its not a cold boot the drive does not appear on the list.

GSG-9, Jan 15, 2020
  4. installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data

little cat, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data

1. installed Windows10 to Ext drive - lost data - Similar Threads - installed Windows10 Ext

2. One drive local data lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One drive local data lost: Good dayI lost all my local data Photos, documents, etc. after deleting one drive from my PCI ran multiple recovery tools and had no successI just need to albums recoveredPlease HELP!...
  3. One drive local data lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive local data lost: Good dayI lost all my local data Photos, documents, etc. after deleting one drive from my PCI ran multiple recovery tools and had no successI just need to albums recoveredPlease HELP!...
  4. Drive D data lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive D data lost: Hello there, about month ago I installed Win11 and lost my data from drive D. went to Best buy the installed Win 10 and were not able to recover data. Please find me a best solution. there was my studying file some much important files. please any solution windows????...
  5. Drive D data lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive D data lost: Hello there, about month ago I installed Win11 and lost my data from drive D. went to Best buy the installed Win 10 and were not able to recover data. Please find me a best solution. there was my studying file some much important files. please any solution windows????...
  6. Lost 68 of data on hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost 68 of data on hard drive: Can anyone help me on this issue? I suddenly lost 68 gb of data. Multiple folders and files dissappeared. Randomly. There is no clue. Some subfolders can still be there, while others are completely gone with all the content in it... submitted by /u/MrMelomaan [link]...
  7. Seagate Ext Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate Ext Drive: Just got one...I can't format it? No Einstein here, but I figure out everything......this is cra cra AF....or I may have puffed the magic dragon too much. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/seagate-ext-drive/b63aa0cf-519d-489c-9261-4fded7fd3819
  8. Lost E: data drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost E: data drive: I have a laptop with dual drives, an SSD that runs the windows and other programs, and a data drive for my data. Recently the data drive became "unavailable" and a big blue questionmark appears above it in file explorer. Tried restoring windows 10 on the laptop but its...
  9. lost data on flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lost data on flash drive: I have lost one entire file on a USB flash drive using Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-data-on-flash-drive/87eeedea-4200-4683-8b6b-f986f31522a8"
  10. Drive dissappeared - all data lost?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive dissappeared - all data lost?: Hi all, I’d like to ask for your help. I was moving about 1.5 TB of data from an external drive to an internal drive (secondary, non-system hard drive), left the PC for a few hours and when I came back the moving process was paused at 0 kB/s speed and the internal...