Windows 10: installed wrong version of windows, do i need to do a clean install again?

Discus and support installed wrong version of windows, do i need to do a clean install again? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; hey! i helped a friend whos ssd died (totally fucked by windows update, wont even come up in bios) anyways he bought a new ssd and we installed it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Kasotic, Sep 13, 2020.

1. installed wrong version of windows, do i need to do a clean install again?

hey! i helped a friend whos ssd died (totally fucked by windows update, wont even come up in bios) anyways he bought a new ssd and we installed it and windows yesterday, and during the activation process it came up that his key is for win 10 home, not win 10 home n, can this be fixed without doing a total clean install?

submitted by /u/Kasotic
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Kasotic, Sep 13, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 13, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 13, 2020
  4. installed wrong version of windows, do i need to do a clean install again?

No More Clean-Installs for Vista Upgrades

When users were upgrading to Windows XP, the procedure was that users could simply insert their old Windows 98 or Windows 2000 CD at the appropriate time during a clean install without the need for the old OS to be installed at the time. However, Microsoft has decided to change this for Vista, and now requires a fully installed and activated version of your old OS already on the machine. This comes as an attempt to prevent illegal use of upgrade CDs, but could be inconvenient and time consuming when the time comes to reinstall. The new procedure for a reinstall is as follows:
    • Install your old copy of Windows XP
    • Activate it either online or over the phone
    • Install Vista
    Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

installed wrong version of windows, do i need to do a clean install again?

1. installed wrong version of windows, do i need to do a clean install again? - Similar Threads - installed wrong version

2. Do I need to re-install Windows again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to re-install Windows again?: Hi everyone, I am pretty new to using Windows 11 and am finding my feet, so please forgive me if my question sounds stupid! I had a BSOD that happened nearly a month ago and was an unspecified error. I did a hardware scan which found no errors and I re-installed Windows and...
  3. Do I need to re-install Windows again?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need to re-install Windows again?: Hi everyone, I am pretty new to using Windows 11 and am finding my feet, so please forgive me if my question sounds stupid! I had a BSOD that happened nearly a month ago and was an unspecified error. I did a hardware scan which found no errors and I re-installed Windows and...
  4. Clean install of Windows failed. What am I doing wrong?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install of Windows failed. What am I doing wrong?: Further to my earlier question whether to clone or do a clean install after replacing the HDD in a laptop with a SSD I thought I'd post this follow up question to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.I decided to go with a clean install and I installed the SSD into the...
  5. Clean install of Windows failed. What am I doing wrong?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install of Windows failed. What am I doing wrong?: Further to my earlier question whether to clone or do a clean install after replacing the HDD in a laptop with a SSD I thought I'd post this follow up question to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.I decided to go with a clean install and I installed the SSD into the...
  6. Clean install of Windows failed. What am I doing wrong?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How do I clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I clean install?: I'm planning to do a factory reset. but recently I got few recommendations that I should do a clean install instead. What is better? Factory reset or clean install?If so, how do I clean install?...
  8. Windows 10 wrong version after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 wrong version after clean install: Hello, my Alienware came with Windows 10 Home x64 installed, then I did upgrade to Pro I have the purchase confirmation email. I got a new m.2 NVMe SSD HDD, no more and did a clean install but the usb tool didn't gave me any option to install Windows 10 Pro. So, when the...
  9. Do I need to convert MBR to GPT to do a clean install?

Do I need to convert MBR to GPT to do a clean install?: Hi, I have some tech knowledge, but not an expert! I can disassemble/remove parts from my laptop with proper instruction, etc. I have an odd situation. I have an Alienware17 that I currently cannot boot. It originally came with Win7Pro, then I did the free Win10 upgrade....
  10. Doing a clean install?

Doing a clean install?: Then your old OS will still be legal. Why not partition your hard drive and keep your old OS in case of problems? When I had a shop build my Win 7 desktop, I paid a little extra to have them install my legal copy of XP on a small partition. It ran some old software that...