Windows 10: Installer unable to write to registry

Discus and support Installer unable to write to registry in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm trying to install an older version of MYOB accounting software, which I was previously able to install on Win7 Pro by running the installer in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rusty04, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Rusty04 Win User

Installer unable to write to registry

I'm trying to install an older version of MYOB accounting software, which I was previously able to install on Win7 Pro by running the installer in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode, using an account with administrator privileges.

I'm running Win10 Pro 64b with UAC turned off, using an account with administrator rights, running the installer in XP SP3 mode with administrator rights & I get the following error.

Installer unable to write to registry [​IMG]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

:)

Rusty04, Jul 20, 2016

2. Programs Unable to Write to Registry After Win 10 Pro Windows Update

I apologize for my late reply.

We are utilizing a domain network, but the same behavior is demonstrated on both domain-joined and standalone systems as well.

We have a remote order-entry application called Poet, as well as our phone server database management application that are experiencing these issues.

The only way that we can get the program to run correctly is to run as administrator. Otherwise, the program states that it cannot modify the registry. Both programs store their connection information in the registry. Both worked perfectly before the update. Now,
    neither one shows any connection information in their properties dialog. When you try to add the information, an error is generated stating that the program cannot write to the registry.

I have tried giving Users full control permissions on the registry keys. That had no effect. I have also tried to lower UAC to its least restrictive setting and disabled Windows Defender. Both of those had no effect either. I'm assuming that Internet Explorer's
    Internet Options will not have an effect on the applications either, but that is the next step that I will take to try to resolve this. I will also try reinstalling the programs, although that seems like it should not be necessary.

Something obviously changed with this update that changes the way programs are allowed to access the registry. These specific programs may exhibit some behavior that is tripping some form of internal security that did not exist before.

TheKidzKid, Jul 20, 2016
  3. Programs Unable to Write to Registry After Win 10 Pro Windows Update

Hey All-

Yesterday, my computer automatically updated Windows 10 to build 10586 ( I'm not sure if this was the 1511 update or something else ). Since then, I have a few programs that will only work if I run them as Administrator. The programs are unable to write
    information to the registry. Is there any way to work around this? Is there something I have to disable in order to get it to function like it did a few days ago? What changed with this Windows update that caused this? We use Windows in a business environment
    and cannot make everyone an administrator just so they can run their programs. Your help is much appreciated.

TheKidzKid, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Installer unable to write to registry

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 20, 2016
  5. Rusty04 Win User
    Hi John,

I looked at upgrading, but the current version fit's my needs (does all that I need it to do) & couldn't justify the cost for new "bells & whistles" that I won't use.

Rusty04, Jul 20, 2016
  6. AmericanPharaoh, Jul 20, 2016
  7. Rusty04 Win User
    Solved... Did a clean install of Win7 Pro, installed MYOB 11, then upgraded to Win10 Pro & all works fine.

A fine example of Microsloth making Windows more secure & unusable for users & forcing them into expensive upgrdes

Rusty04, Jul 29, 2016
  8. Installer unable to write to registry

We can consider this issue closed.

AmericanPharaoh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Installer unable to write to registry

1. Installer unable to write to registry - Similar Threads - Installer unable write

2. Unable to remove write protection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to remove write protection: I'm not able to delete some files in my pc. They're actually in my phone and I'm not able to see them even if I "enable show hidden files" in my phone.So I plugged in the USB cable, went to my phone downloads, and then tried to delete it. But it shows unable to delete because...
  3. Unable to remove write protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove write protection: I'm not able to delete some files in my pc. They're actually in my phone and I'm not able to see them even if I "enable show hidden files" in my phone.So I plugged in the USB cable, went to my phone downloads, and then tried to delete it. But it shows unable to delete because...
  4. How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?: So changing registry strings is a pretty common tool around here and something ive done pretty comfortably for a long time. Messing with registry permissions goes above my head and is quite a bit more risky. AFAIK with my limited knowledge ACL's and the like is quite a bit...
  5. Cannot write to Registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot write to Registry: I have a program that needs to make entries in HKCU Software VB and VBA Program Settings. It is unable to. I am the Administrator. How can I get access to the Registry? Thanks, Murray...
  6. Due to registry corruption - unable to remove and install mcafee

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Due to registry corruption - unable to remove and install mcafee: I am running windows 10. I purchased mcafee antivirus, however am unable to install it. Mcafee support told, windows registry got corrupt as old version of mcafee couldn't be removed successfully. The key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MCAFEE couldn't be deleted manually or by...
  7. "registry" process permanently writes to disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "registry" process permanently writes to disk: I noticed for some time, that I have a process called "Registry" in Task Manager which randomly uses 0.1-1% CPU usage. I dont have this process running on my Desktop or tablet, just my laptop. I opened MS Process Monitor, filtered the name and disk usage and this showed up:...
  8. Unable to write on HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to write on HDD?: I have Recently upgraded to Window 10 and transferred my computer to a new case. I used this opportunity to get a new SSD and HDD. My plan was to Have only windows 10 on my SSD and use the HDD as storage and for software that has frequent updates. Windows 10 recognizes...
  9. "Unable to write to this location" error

in Windows 10 Support
    "Unable to write to this location" error: Hi I have been using Kodak Imaging (last provided by MS with windows XP) successfully on every operating system since XP. The program files are saved in Programs (x86), the ocx files are registered using the command prompt and hey presto, it works fine. On windows 10 too...
  10. Cant Edit or Write to Registry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant Edit or Write to Registry: I have been working with windows 10 X64 PRO for a little bit now. I can still not figure out why my scripts (.vbs) or .exe that I push to or use on my domain machines will not edit or create keys in the registry. The only way i can do it is to full kill UAC then reboot then...