Windows 10: Installing 2nd copy of Win 10 into free space on hard drive

Discus and support Installing 2nd copy of Win 10 into free space on hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Actually it's an SSD. How can I be positively sure that I'm doing a fresh install of Win 10 into free space on my SSD, and not wipe out an existing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, Jul 18, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

Installing 2nd copy of Win 10 into free space on hard drive

Actually it's an SSD.

How can I be positively sure that I'm doing a fresh install of Win 10 into free space on my SSD, and not wipe out an existing Win 10 install. I want to have two copies of Win 10 on my system.

I have an unused Win 8.1 license so I wnat to install a second copy of Win 10 on my system. I have cleared out free space. I started the install process, but I stopped right away. I want to be absolutely, positively, 100% sure that I would do the install into that free space and not wipe out my existing Win 10 install.

With Win 7, I could tell the installer where I wanted the installer to put the new Windows partition. Can I do the same with Windows 10?

:)

2. MeSo2 Win User

Backup did not complete successfully because a shadow copy could not be created. Free up disk space on the drive that you are backing up by deleting unnecessary files and then try again.

This is the error I am getting trying to run a backup in Win 10 pro (1607):

Backup did not complete successfully because a shadow copy could not be created. Free up disk space on the drive that you are backing up by deleting unnecessary files and then try again.

The destination hard drive is an internal hard drive with over 2 time the amount of free hard drive space.

In System I find the error: The server {...} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

MeSo2, Jul 18, 2016
  3. tomski2 Win User
    copy hard drive1 with windows 10, paste onto new hard drive (as back up), clean install on hard drive1

hi

i would like to make a copy of everything on my hard drive to have a back up and do a clean install of windows 10.

issue 1

do i have to clone or can i just copy the os c drive onto another hard drive? i do not want to have a compressed file, i would like to have a copy in order to search for any files/programs i may have missed/not saved on a flash drive.

issue 2

my pc was windows 8, upgraded to windows 8.1 then 10 (free). can i do a clean install with just windows 10? or do i have to factory reset and upgrade to windows 10 (free version).

issue 3

do i have to do anything with bios?

issue 4

i have 228gb used space and 692 gb free space and plan to copy the hard drive onto a 350gb, will that work?

tomski2, Jul 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Format the free space as an NTFS partition. Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. Select the custom install option. Point the Windows installer to the blank NTFS partition you made and click next to install to that partition. It will set up dual booting for you.

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  5. I also highly recommend labeling your partitions, too. It always helps me keep track, in the event letters change due to the boot process.

DeaconFrost, Jul 18, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    2nd that. Mine are labeled:

Lenovo Desktop: Lenovo_C, Lenovo_D, Lenovo_E, etc.
    Laptop: Laptop_C, Laptop_D
    Web server: HP_C, HP_D, HP_E, etc.

Never in doubt this way.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    If pc was upgraded to windows 10 originally, op will have a digital licence in which case the second version will activate automatically and OP will not need to enter the key (but strictly may not comply with EULA).

Reading between lines, OP wants to upgrade an 8.1 key before end of free period, and if that is the reason, this may not have the desired effect.

OP could enter the 8.1 key in the second instance but as far as I know, you do not get a second digital licence?

If original install of windows 10 was product key based, then entering 8.1 key would would create a digital licence.

We need clarity on

1) how windows 10 was installed originally?

2) why OP is trying to dual boot?

cereberus, Jul 19, 2016
  8. TrustMe Win User

The only reason I can see using the Windows 8.1 key is if it were a retail key. Then you would be able to move the key (license) to a different computer.

TrustMe, Jul 19, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Sure -that is probably why but if original 10 install is already an upgrade, using 8.1 key will not help as the pc will already have a digital licence unless the digital licence is also bound to the 8.1 key as well (which I have never heard of).

People often think upgrading converts an old key to a 10 key. That is not how it works.

cereberus, Jul 19, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Scenario:

The OP had a computer with Windows 7/8/8.1 pre-installed from the factory. He upgraded that to Windows 10. Now the OP wants to install a second copy of Windows 10 for whatever reason he wants - it doesn't matter. He has an unused Windows 8.1 license/product key. Is the OP not entitled to run two upgrades to Windows 10? The first based on the license of the pre-installed Windows that came with the computer, and the second based on the license of the additional Windows 8.1 license/product key?

Yes, both copies of Windows 10 on that computer will say "Activated with a digital entitlement." And yes, both copies of Windows 10 may very well be activated with the same digital entitlement. But that isn't the OP's problem or concern. Microsoft takes him to court and he shows the judge/jury the original Windows license that came with the computer and he shows them the second external license/product key. Two licenses for Windows = rights to have two copies of Windows installed.

Remember, Microsoft considers a partition to be a separate device. The OP can have two devices running on the same computer. So, therefore, Microsoft is obligated to upgrade both of those devices for free to Windows 10 before July 29th. Partition 1 with the OEM Windows that came with the computer and partition 2 with the Windows from the external license/product key. If Microsoft did not make provisions for keeping those two digital entitlements for Windows 10 seperate from each other - that is not the OPs problem or concern.

NavyLCDR, Jul 19, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Sure assuming his intent was to do as above, but a lot of people think doing this "upgrades" the old key, giving a new W10 key which we know is not the case. Just seeking clarity on OP's intent.

Of course, I could be wrong and you can get two digital licences - I bet that would confuse the new Redstone activation troubleshooter :-D!

cereberus, Jul 20, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I can see your point. When the OP stated "I have an unused Windows 8.1 license," since he was specific enough to say unused I would assume he knows that a license for Windows 7/8/8.1 is "used" when it is upgraded to Windows 10 - for as long as the Windows 10 is installed.

NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  13. x509 Win User

NavyLCDR has pretty much described my situation. The system is a Lenovo Laptop, Win 7 pre-installed. I have a spare Win 8.1 key from the Microsoft Partners program. My company used to be in that program. I never did install Win 8 ...

Why two copies of Windows? So I can test out "trialware" and the like while not cluttering my main Windows partition with all kinds of digital detritus. I like a stable system. *Smile

14. Ztruker Win User
    Use a Virtual Machine for testing, much better than dual booting I think. I use Oracle VirtualBox for this as well as installing and testing the latest Insider Preview of Windows 10.

Ztruker, Jul 20, 2016
  15. x509 Win User
    I just want to save SOLVED! I know the quote is from an early part of this thread, but I also want to say that it's a real timesaver going straight to Win 10, instead of having to install win 8.1 and then doing the upgrade.

Thema:

1. Installing 2nd copy of Win 10 into free space on hard drive - Similar Threads - Installing 2nd copy

2. How to free more hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to free more hard drive space?: When I use sfc scan, disk cleanup, delete windows update log and app cache, run storage sense by clearing temporary files using storage setting and flush dns cache then i restart my pc, the storage won't low down a bit. I already transfer my genshin impact game files to other...
  3. 2nd hard drive not showing win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2nd hard drive not showing win 10: I'm trying to take a sata hard drive (with existing data) from an older win 10 machine and add it as a second drive on newer win 10 machine (also sata). First time I've done it. I've watched YT videos on how to configure the 2nd drive but it's based on the 2nd drive showing...
  4. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  5. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Support
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  6. Freeing up space on hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Freeing up space on hard drive.: Hi , I need too free up space on my hard drive. Seems other users account for 154 gb I have no other users. In manage my account it only gives me the option to add family friends. How do I delete the other users and free up space? Any help will be appreciated ta...
  7. "Free up space" Hard drive option difficulty

"Free up space" Hard drive option difficulty: Attempted to use the "free up space" option in my storage and its stuck saying "Purging: Compress your OS drive" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space-hard-drive-option-difficulty/d7a902d2-7089-4e17-a2fa-e8b970c1db9e"
  8. Portable hard drive not enough free space.

Portable hard drive not enough free space.: I have a 1.5 TB back up portable hard that only has 355 GB of Free Space. It has only 2 system images from C drive (with 147 GB of used space). I have made several system images in the past on this hard drive and deleted most of them over time. 1. How can only 2 system...
  9. Hard drive showing wrong free space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Hard drive showing wrong free space in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Imagine a situation when your a disk in your system is showing high space utilization while you haven’t installed many applications. Upon checking the actual volume occupied by the apps inside the drive, you realize that they aren’t occupying a [...] This...
  10. Finding the free space on a hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding the free space on a hard drive: Is there any application that comes with Windows 10, that will show the hard-drive storage usage and free space? I do not mean an application that will show usage and free space for each partition (disk). Such data is rather inconvenient, when one wants to know how much is...