Windows 10: Installing 9879 did not pick up installed software

Discus and support Installing 9879 did not pick up installed software in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just installed Window 10 build 9879 on my Win 8.1 laptop. Things seemed to go well except that the programs in Program Files (X86) and Program Files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JJG10, Nov 17, 2014.

1. JJG10 Win User

Installing 9879 did not pick up installed software

I just installed Window 10 build 9879 on my Win 8.1 laptop. Things seemed to go well except that the programs in Program Files (X86) and Program Files in the 8.1 folders did not appear in their 9879 folders. Missing were all of Office 2010 programs as well as Quicken. The Desktop Shortcuts to them appeared but of course the wouldn't open the non-existent programs.

I really don't want to reinstall Office and the others. Should I have expected them to be picked up by 9879? Is there a way around this?

Thank you very much.

:)

JJG10, Nov 17, 2014

2. How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10

Good to see the Build Number on the download page. That, in itself, is an improvement.

Now to see if 9879 will install over updated 9860. It failed on 11/25/14.

Rocket_Scientist, Nov 17, 2014
  3. How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10

Successfully updated from 9860 to 9879 on 12/01/14. Don't know why it worked this time, since Win10 has not been booted since the failure on 11/25/14.

BTW, after the failure, it automatically reverted back to 9860.

Rocket_Scientist, Nov 17, 2014
  4. Edwin New Member

You should NOT have expected them to be picked up by the new OS.
    The only way around that is to re-install the programs, unfortunately.

EDIT:
    Somewhere in the process you may or may not have seen a prompt similar to this one:

Installing 9879 did not pick up installed software [​IMG]

however, I hope you backed up your Windows 8.1 OS!

Edwin, Nov 17, 2014
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you very,very much, Edwin. I thought that might be the case!

Yes, I have Paragon backups going way back to where I first installed Win 7 *Smile

JJG10, Nov 17, 2014
  6. I would want to know how programs function in the TP.

gregrocker, Nov 21, 2014
  7. caperjack Win User
    as would be expected with a preview install of windows .[that one day next year will stop working ]I would think

caperjack, Nov 22, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

I have to say I very strongly disagree with responses you have got, they are not valid.

To quote Edwin's words, slightly changing them: You SHOULD have expected them to be picked up. Fortunately, there's no need to reinstall programs if the in-place upgrade is done correctly.

Expecting that to happen is to admit not to know how in-place upgrade works. Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to Windows 10 Technical Preview are supported in-place upgrade scenarios.

When an in-place upgrade from either Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to any build of Windows 10 Technical Preview is done correctly, all your installed apps and programs are still there after the upgrade (subject to app / program being compatible with Windows 10).

Just to get screenshots, I did now two in-place upgrade installs, one from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Build 9879, the other from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Build 9879. Both the same start situation, only few apps installed but enough to show in-place upgrade really works (VLC Player, Office 2013 Professional Plus, Google Chrome, Adobe Reader). Start situation in both in-place upgrades in this screenshot from Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10 Build 9879 upgrade install started and clearly stating that it will keep my settings, files and apps:

Second screenshot is 8.1 Pro after it was in-place upgraded to 10 Build 9879, same apps to start with as I had in Windows 7 Upgrade to Build 9879 in first screenshot:

Office 2013 (#1), Chrome (#2), Adobe Reader (#3) and VLC Player (#4) from Windows 8.1 Pro still there, seconds after Build 9879 in-place upgrade had finished. Both my 9879 in-place upgrade installs work perfectly, all apps installed before the upgrade working perfectly also after the upgrade.

How did you upgrade? Did you start the upgrade install by launching the Build 9879 installer from Windows 8.1 desktop, or did you boot the Windows 8.1 laptop with Windows 10 Build 9879 install media?

Tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ows-7-8-a.html

9. I did an in place upgrade from 8.1 to 10TP on my Surface Pro by running the setup from the .iso. It picked up all my software just fine and put it in the menu but not in the start screen part of the start button (if that makes sense).

I would have expected no less for an upgrade.

On my desktop, I used a bootable USB stick and put a virgin W10 on a partition. In that one, I told it to pick up on the Surface Pro's backup and it has all the app names of 'modern apps', but they aren't installed. I don't think it picked up the desktop applications though. I had to manually install those as I remember. Again as I had expected.

lparsons21, Nov 23, 2014
  10. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you Kari.

I did the upgrade by running setup in the iso from the the Desktop.

JJG10, Nov 23, 2014
  11. This thread was interesting, i did not realise an upgrade option was available even though the option is in the setup process.
    i shall continue with new installs however.Until I Know how much the final O/S is going to cost and release date, I will continue just experimenting with the duel system.
    I will keep myself updated with these upgrade Threads.

Regards Topper.

toppergraph, Nov 23, 2014
  12. To confirm what Kari has already said, I also did an in-place upgrade from win8.1 to win10TP -- and everything was carried over, all the apps, all the data. I only had to reinstall one thing -- but it's not officially supported in Win8, either, so I expected to have to do that one reinstallation.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing 9879 did not pick up installed software - Similar Threads - Installing 9879 did

2. Why Did Defender not pick up this Trojen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Did Defender not pick up this Trojen?: One of my Users had a Trojen on their Computer: Trojan:HTML/Phish.BBU!MTBThis was installed at 4:16pm This was only picked up at 6:59pm when a scan was run.we have real time protection turned on so this should've been picked up instantly, We would like to understand as to WHY...
  3. Why Did Defender not pick up this Trojen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Did Defender not pick up this Trojen?: One of my Users had a Trojen on their Computer: Trojan:HTML/Phish.BBU!MTBThis was installed at 4:16pm This was only picked up at 6:59pm when a scan was run.we have real time protection turned on so this should've been picked up instantly, We would like to understand as to WHY...
  4. Why Did Defender not pick up this Trojen?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. software not installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    software not installing: windows 10 not insrtallng pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/software-not-installing/7b09c145-4ae8-409c-8293-c3361697b53e
  6. software installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    software installation: I have just bought a CD of MS office 2016, trying to install it on my laptop but problem is ,set up file or installer is not working.When I click on the setup file windows defender says malware of virus exist ,so it can't be open.Now what can I do?...
  7. Pre-set up software install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pre-set up software install?: Hello, I have a new hp 15 laptop and I am tryin to find out if I can install a program before it goes through the initial windows setup? 135077
  8. Installing software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Installing software: Could you explain me why UAC enables a program to be installed on my computer, even if I answer 'no' when it asks me 'Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your PC?'. I don’t want my son can install programs without my permission, but if this issue persists he...
  9. Windows 10 Will upgrade from 9879 or clean install.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Will upgrade from 9879 or clean install.: Hello, I am not able to use any public build after 9879. If I upgrade it installs reboots then install drivers reboots try's to boot then reverts. If I do a clean install it will install and reboot then asks for users preferences or slandered. either one fails I think it...
  10. build 9879 clean install with duel boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    build 9879 clean install with duel boot.: HI all, I have a partitioned drive running win 7 and win 10tp. I am just downloading 9879 build iso to perform a clean install. i have read on the forums that this build is causing duel boot problems and trashing the win7 (which is my primary boot O/S)partition. the...