Windows 10: Installing a Different Edition of Windows

Discus and support Installing a Different Edition of Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It should have auto detected and used the OEM key. I went back over what was posted and I think I see why it wasn't now. Core Connected I do believe is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Krimstix, May 25, 2016.

1. Installing a Different Edition of Windows

It should have auto detected and used the OEM key. I went back over what was posted and I think I see why it wasn't now. Core Connected I do believe is the "With Bing" edition. That has its own set of keys separate form even the SL edition. I'm not sure what install media you use with that? My first guess would have been the Home SL but obviously that didn't work. The regular 10 home/pro ISO would be my next guess? I'll have to do some searching to try and sort that out. If you read through the showkey thread you might get some answers? https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html

alphanumeric, May 25, 2016
  2. alphanumeric, May 25, 2016
  3. Forgot to mention, using a key you found on the internet will likely let you install, but will almost certainly fail activation. Microsoft searches for those leaked keys and blacklists them.

4. Krimstix Win User

Installing a Different Edition of Windows

Krimstix, May 25, 2016
  5. You did better than I did, I didn't know there was a with Big SL and a with Bing. I thought they were both the same version? So Home SL is the correct one. Why your key wasn't auto detected and used though, I have no idea? One thing to double check though. Make sure when you run the Media creation Tool, that you do a download and then run it. If you have one saved from earlier, it can download an old build of Windows 10. The earlier builds will not use Windows 7 or 8 keys. It was latter on that Microsoft added that functionality. Other than that, all I can suggest is to click skip when asked for a key, then try entering it after the install is done. Use the one showkey found in the BIOS. OEM Key

6. Krimstix Win User
    Oh well. Let me just install this one and see what happens. I'll be in touch.

Edit: Used the OEM key earlier. Didn't work. Also let me risk this one guess. I think it will be safe to use the keys from Google. The source said that only use it when the installer asks a key but it wouldn't activate windows. My guess is that when Windows connected to the internet to activate it will use the OEM Key.

Krimstix, May 25, 2016
  7. alphanumeric, May 25, 2016
  8. Krimstix Win User

Yeah I've already downloaded from the tool. Just having second thoughts earlier but in the middle of the installation process now.

Krimstix, May 25, 2016
  9. Ok, just wanted to make sure, good luck.

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Once you have Windows 10 Home Single Language Edition installed, run showkey plus from this forum:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

The bottom product key, "OEM Key" will be the product key stored in bios. Then go to settings, updates and security, activation tab (on the left). Click change product key. Enter the product key that showkey plus shows from bios.

Any idea what language windows this computer came with to begin with? We have not yet figured out if Single Language Edition product keys are only good for the original language, or good for any language.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2016
  11. Krimstix Win User
    Now there's a thought. Bad news though. Tried to use the OEM Key and it still won't activate 10 Home SL. Media Creation Tool only provides these options.

Installing a Different Edition of Windows [​IMG]

In Activation Settings:

Oh well. Don't know what those mean. In the meantime, I'm going to sleep. I would try clean installing Windows 10 Home SL though and see what happens. Or maybe try those other editions of Windows 10. I'll keep you posted.

Krimstix, May 25, 2016
  12. "unable to reach your companies activation service" means to me that its still trying to activate by KMS? Did you wipe the previous install? I think there was a fix for that, but I have no idea what thread it was posted in? Or how to search for it?

13. Installing a Different Edition of Windows

Try this go to settings > Update & Security > Activation > Change product Key and enter this key, BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT Reboot, then go back and do it again but enter your OEM key. That key I posted is the generic Home SL key. It won't activate without the PC having a digital entitlement but it might switch out of KMS and back to the Microsoft activation servers. Then your key might work, crosses fingers.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    From Command Prompt (admin) run:

Slmgr /upk
    Slmgr /ipk BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT

Then go to the activation screen and change the product key to the OEM product key in bios.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2016
  15. Krimstix Win User
    Hello guys. I tried what you told me. Uninstalled the product key then installed the generic one. This happens:

Krimstix, May 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Installing a Different Edition of Windows - Similar Threads - Installing Different Edition

2. difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions: Hello,I'm looking to determine what is difference between Consumer and Business edition of the Windows 10 22H2 ISO on the Visual Studio Subscription downloads and keys page: I did not find the answer from a Micrsoft source any Microsoft page or third-party site. Don't send me...
  3. difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions: Hello,I'm looking to determine what is difference between Consumer and Business edition of the Windows 10 22H2 ISO on the Visual Studio Subscription downloads and keys page: I did not find the answer from a Micrsoft source any Microsoft page or third-party site. Don't send me...
  4. difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?!: Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-difference-in-performance-between/309d928f-8bb0-4d57-8851-f12d69543bbf
  6. Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?!: Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-difference-in-performance-between/309d928f-8bb0-4d57-8851-f12d69543bbf
  7. Replace “3D Edit” With a Different App?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replace “3D Edit” With a Different App?: I deleted paint and paint 3d. I use paint.net (and very occasionally gimp). Is there a way so that if I click 3d edit it opens the photo in paint.net? Thanks! submitted by /u/Aredditorandahalf [link] [comments]...
  8. Installing different Windows 10 edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing different Windows 10 edition: I have Windows 10 Pro N installed on my computer, i have not activated it because i don't have a licence key and i want to install either the Home or Pro edition, but when i'm trying to reinstall with the Media Creation Tool it just wants to install the Pro N version again....
  9. Minecraft Windows 10 Edition on different devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Windows 10 Edition on different devices: I downloaded Minecraft Windows 10 Edition on my desktop and I am now trying to download it on a laptop. I've read that I need to just sign into the same Microsoft account on the store and it will automatically re-install, but it's just telling me to buy it again even though...
  10. Can I install windows with the same edition but difference language ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I install windows with the same edition but difference language ?: *Smile As the topic said above,Can I install windows 10 with the same edition but difference language ? 11632