Windows 10: Installing a large hard disk

Discus and support Installing a large hard disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! If this has been asked before, please point me to the relevant thread. A friend of mine recently bought a hard disk 8TB and he did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by spapakons, Feb 19, 2017.

1. spapakons Win User

Installing a large hard disk

Hello!

If this has been asked before, please point me to the relevant thread. A friend of mine recently bought a hard disk 8TB and he did not manage to install it correctly. Unfortunately I live far from him and I will have the chance to visit him at weekend. Before that, I would like to ask, can such a disk be installed in any modern system? He has an MSI s1151 chipset Z270 motherboard, so I guess there is no compatibility issues. Is there any setting he should do in BIOS/UEFI firmware for such large disk? What about the power requirements? He has a modular 850W PSU, so again I guess he should be OK, as long as he connects the power cable to the correct socket on the PSU. I saw his desktop with TeamViewer and the disk is reported as unknown disk in Device Manager and as 0 capacity in Disk Management. I'm sure he did something wrong with the cables, but I cannot tell until I visit him. Anything else I should know? Yes, I know that I have to initialize it as GPT in order to make a single 8TB partition. Anything more?

Thank you in advance!

:)

spapakons, Feb 19, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Feb 19, 2017
  3. Removal of "System Volume Information" ,"Windows,~bt"& "$Recycle.bin"

How large are these folders?

These files do not occupy memory. The occupy disk space on your hard drive.

Gerry C J Cornell, Feb 19, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

It seems this may not be straight forward other post have reported the disks won't work on some systems as they can't handle above 4 TB.

Samuria, Feb 19, 2017
  5. spapakons Win User
    Yes, but the hardware was bought last week and the motherboard is an MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon s1151 with Z270 chipset, so this should be compatible, I'll see in MSI site to confirm it. Unless there is any setting in BIOS that must be done for such large disk. I am not familiar with disks over 2TB, so I cannot tell.

spapakons, Feb 20, 2017
  6. dwarfer66 Win User
    I have a Gigabyte Z77 mobo and a Seagate 8TB working fine in my pc running win 10.

dwarfer66, Feb 20, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    I cannot see this being a problem on this newer hardware.

pparks1, Feb 20, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The easiest thing to do is install MiniTool Partition Wizard free. In Partition Wizard, right click on the drive, select Initialize GPT. Then create as many partitions as you want on it and assign a drive letter to each partition. It sounds like the disk is physically connected OK, it just needs to be partitioned and formatted.

The physical connection is easy - one data cable between the drive and a SATA port on the motherboard and a standard SATA power connection. The connections are keyed so they can only be connected to the correct ports and in the proper direction. The SATA port needs to be enabled in UEFI - but if the user did not go into UEFI setup and disable the SATA port, it should be enabled by default. Unless you are using RAID (which it does not sound like), the SATA ports should also be set for AHCI and not IDE.

Many people will say you don't need Partition Wizard and just do it in Windows, and you can, but using Partition Wizard will make it easier for a less experienced user to do.

This is the data connector that will go between the hard drive and the SATA port on the motherboard:

Installing a large hard disk [​IMG]

This is the power connector from the PSU:

Installing a large hard disk [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Feb 20, 2017
  9. spapakons Win User
    Well he told me that now the disk is seen in Windows. I connected with TeamViewer but got an error while trying to initialize it as GPT. I am not sure if the mode is set to IDE or AHCI. It could be that. But if it is set to IDE and he has installed Windows, is it possible to switch to AHCI? Thanks.

spapakons, Feb 20, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't think IDE v. AHCI mode will affect anything other than performance. To go from IDE to AHCI mode, you FIRST boot Windows into safe mode, uninstall the IDE controller under disk controllers in Device manager. Then shut down the computer completely. Go into UEFI/BIOS setup the next restart, change to AHCI. Boot Windows again into safe mode (which Windows 10 will do automatically). Then change it to boot into normal mode and reboot.

NavyLCDR, Feb 20, 2017
  11. spapakons Win User
    Thanks for the info. But I'm afraid my friend has done some damage to the disk. Since I won't be seeing him until the weekend I advised him to go the computer back to the store and ask the Service to connect and format the disk for him. If he did anything wrong and damaged the disk, he will say nothing and hopefully they will replace it under Warranty. I know this is not very honest, but there is no easy way to find out and the Provider might actually replace it for the shop too. I work as RMA Technician and I have sent many such disks without visible damage and got replaced under Warranty. Unless the disk has some burnt or other visible damage, of course. Let's see what the store Service will say...

spapakons, Feb 20, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's really dang hard to damage a SATA hard drive when installing it, except for a big static discharge. If it's defective, 90% chance he received it that way.

NavyLCDR, Feb 20, 2017
  13. spapakons Win User

Well the PSU is modular and there is a big chance that he connected the SATA power cable to the wrong socket on the PSU, so he damaged the disk. But in such case it wouldn't be detected on Disk Management... That's weird... I also told him to replace the SATA data cable just in case, he told me he did. He is a novice, so I don't completely trust him. I'm sure it is something simple, but I cannot visit him during the week, so he has to go to the store Service and pay...

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing a large hard disk - Similar Threads - Installing large hard

2. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.: I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a...
  3. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.: I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a...
  4. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive: when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive should i copy both of them at same time or one at a time???????? thnx in advance 176705
  6. Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk: Okay - bit of a 'noob' question here, hope folks can help. My desktop machine (5 y.o.) is getting an upgrade. I would like to follow the suggestions that have been made of fitting a SSD for boot, Win 10 and program installation and using my large 5TB 3.5-inch hard disk...
  7. Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk: Okay - bit of a 'noob' question here, hope folks can help. My desktop machine (5 y.o.) is getting an upgrade. I would like to follow the suggestions that have been made of fitting a SSD for boot, Win 10 and program installation and using my large 5TB 3.5-inch hard disk...
  8. Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD: Hi looking for some advice, I have a laptop and the HD is painfully slow so I have decided to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Now the existing hard drive is a 1TB drive but for what I need the laptop for I have opted for a much smaller SSD drive (I have plenty of Network...
  9. Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk: Dear Sir My hard disk is corrupted. How will I install windows in another hard disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-corrupted-need-to-install-windows-in/87253f42-3d08-4508-9f58-b1e9fc928311
  10. Find large *folders* on hard disks

in Windows 10 Support
    Find large *folders* on hard disks: My hard disk is full. I need to empty some space. I'm trying to locate the large folders I can empty. However there seems no good way to locate these folders in windows. Trying to search via Win Explorer Search option: "size:gigantic kind:=folder", simply doesn't work. It...