Windows 10: Installing a new copy of windows 10 over an old one

Discus and support Installing a new copy of windows 10 over an old one in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought an old laptop running Windows 10. I also bought a new copy of Windows 10. Can I just go ahead and install it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NancyDL, Apr 19, 2019.

1. NancyDL Win User

Installing a new copy of windows 10 over an old one

I bought an old laptop running Windows 10. I also bought a new copy of Windows 10. Can I just go ahead and install it?

:)

NancyDL, Apr 19, 2019
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Apr 19, 2019
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Apr 19, 2019
  4. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Installing a new copy of windows 10 over an old one :)

dhdude, Apr 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Installing a new copy of windows 10 over an old one - Similar Threads - Installing copy old

2. Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.: I have Win10 home version. Monday suddenly all of my Office 365 suite programs stopped functioning. All other non-MS programs work fine. Quick Books, Adobe, Riolink cameras, Remote PC, all have worked fine for years, still function without issue other than any inteface with...
  3. Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.: I have Win10 home version. Monday suddenly all of my Office 365 suite programs stopped functioning. All other non-MS programs work fine. Quick Books, Adobe, Riolink cameras, Remote PC, all have worked fine for years, still function without issue other than any inteface with...
  4. Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can I use old installation USB to install new copy of windows?

Can I use old installation USB to install new copy of windows?: I built a new PC and ordered a DVD copy of Windows 10 by mistake as the new build does not have a optical drive. I have a windows install flash drive from a previous build. Can I use that and simply enter the product key that came with the disk to activate?Thank you!...
  6. If I copy over registry files, do I delete the old ones?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I copy over registry files, do I delete the old ones?: I want to copy over registry files from my old laptop because they contain save files for a game. I've already installed the game on the new laptop, so it already has its own folder and registry files. If I want to copy over the files from my old laptop now, do I have to...
  7. If I copy over registry files, do I delete the old ones?

If I copy over registry files, do I delete the old ones?: I want to copy over registry files from my old laptop because they contain save files for a game. I've already installed the game on the new laptop, so it already has its own folder and registry files. If I want to copy over the files from my old laptop now, do I have to...
  8. If I copy over registry files, do I delete the old ones?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Install windows 10 over old windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows 10 over old windows: So my partners computer keeps rebooting with the blue screen of death we have tried wiping the hard drive it's still doing it. We took the computer to an IT guy we know and he said we have to reinstall windows 10. How do we do this when the computer boots for all of 5 minutes...
  10. I had my windows copied over to my new SSD and now I can't delete the old one

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I had my windows copied over to my new SSD and now I can't delete the old one: I went to a computer shop to have my windows copied over to my new SSD card and I saw that one of my drives still has windows on it, even though I'm not using it anymore but it won't let me delete all the files, there's still a few left, it says that I don't have permission...