Windows 10: Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage.

Discus and support Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As said in the title, I am trying to install a new version of windows 10 onto my SSD but want to use my existing HDD as a storage drive. My HDD is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MatthewKosowan, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage.

As said in the title, I am trying to install a new version of windows 10 onto my SSD but want to use my existing HDD as a storage drive. My HDD is currently running windows but I have been having troubles recently so I decided to buy a new copy using windows 10 pro but want windows 10 home. I want to keep the files and programs that are currently on my HDD but use the SSD as my boot drive, and maybe download games there as well as some CAD programs like AutoCAD, Revit, and Civil3D. There is more than enough space on my SSD for both windows and the data from my HDD. I have never done this before so I'm looking for some guidance on how to do this. I am most concerned about being able to easily run all of my programs without having to manually redownload each one, as well as having access to all my files. Any help is appreciated.

:)

MatthewKosowan, Mar 10, 2021
  2. brify Win User

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Hi

I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage (I have 1TB cloud storage with 365) and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred
    any data from my old pc yet.

I now wish to setup the pc to have the operating system and program files on the SSD as they are currently and all my Files/Pictures/Music etc on the HDD but I am unsure of the correct procedures and order in which to carry them out. I also want to
    continue using OneDrive for backup and file access from other devices.

I am aware of the following:

• The OneDrive folder is currently on the SSD and is backing up the default Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I wish to move this folder to the HDD but I am not when to do this, looking at the steps below, to prevent any sync issues
    • I know I can move my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to the HDD by changing the location of these from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD), leaving the User/Username folder on C:
    • I have also noticed that in Settings/System/Storage I can 'change the location where new content is saved' for these folders, what is the difference between this and moving the location of the folders as detailed above.

Can anyone advise on the best/correct method of setting my system up going forward?

Thanks

brify, Mar 10, 2021
  3. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Mar 10, 2021
  4. Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage.

Fresh Install of Windows 10 Home in new SSD

I have this Dell N4010 Laptop that I want to upgrade with an SSD and use the existing HDD as Data drive. I have an original windows of digital license.

Please suggest how I can install a fresh copy of the windows in my new SSD with the existing license. And please suggest how to activate the new installation of Windows.

Fahim.Anwar, Mar 10, 2021
Thema:

Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage.

1. Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage. - Similar Threads - Installing version SSD

2. How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?: My Dell laptop is running very slow due to HDD that's why I have decided to install a SSD to boot my windows and other applications. But now I have problems with installation of windows in SSD. Please help me with this installation process ....
  3. How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?: My Dell laptop is running very slow due to HDD that's why I have decided to install a SSD to boot my windows and other applications. But now I have problems with installation of windows in SSD. Please help me with this installation process ....
  4. How to clean install windows in SSD & use a HDD as for storage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Installing Windows 10 from USB onto an new SSD, while keeping old HDD for Storage on a...

Installing Windows 10 from USB onto an new SSD, while keeping old HDD for Storage on a...: I bought a new SSD and I want to install Windows 10 Home Same OS as on the current HDD on it.I want to keep my current HDD which has Windows 10 installed as a storage drive. The system has a UEFI BIOS and Secure Boot enabled.I've already created the Windows 10 USB...
  6. How to Put OS on new SSD while keeping existing HDD for existing games

How to Put OS on new SSD while keeping existing HDD for existing games: Hi there, I've recently bought a new SSD for the purpose of moving my Windows 10 OS onto it from my existing HDD. I plan on using SSD for the OS and keep my current HDD to hold all my existing games and other files. I have been trying to find ways to do so but there doesn't...
  7. Adding SSD As New Boot/Primary Drive While HDD Is Used For Storage In Laptop.

Adding SSD As New Boot/Primary Drive While HDD Is Used For Storage In Laptop.: How do I make an SSD NVMePCIe M.2 as your new boot drive while not getting rid of my HDD. I want to use my HDD for storage but do not want to format it or anything I want to keep it in my laptop and just have the important stuff like windows windows 10, steam, and a few other...
  8. Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.: Hi, I'm thinking about updating my 2 years old laptop from HDD to SSD. Since my HDD is still in working condition, I plan to use it as an external HDD. I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home on my laptop.Is it possible for me to transfer it to the new SSD while upgrading?...
  9. How to use SSD for OS and HDD as storage???

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use SSD for OS and HDD as storage???: I am currently running the newest version of windows 10 and I have an SSD for my OS only and a HDD as storage. And every time I install a program it defaults to install on the SSD. I have changed the storage settings in windows so that apps and so on go will to the HDD but...
  10. Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage

Installing Windows 10 on a brand new laptop with SSD and HDD storage: I bought a new laptop that has an HDD and an SSD, the laptop has no Windows pre installed (it's free DOS) and I want to install Windows 10 on it. My question is, how to install the windows on the SSD and not the HDD? I mean, on the screen that shows "where do you want to...