Windows 10: installing a system image onto a new device

Discus and support installing a system image onto a new device in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Win10 pro is my OS system image available Am I required to purchase a Win10 pro system on my new computer or is any Win10 system appropriate to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlbertD Loggy, Apr 8, 2020.

1. installing a system image onto a new device

Win10 pro is my OS

system image available

Am I required to purchase a Win10 pro system on my new computer or is any Win10 system appropriate to use the system image backup?

:)

AlbertD Loggy, Apr 8, 2020

2. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Apr 8, 2020
  3. System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Apr 8, 2020
  4. installing a system image onto a new device

System Image Problem

Bill,

Could you elaborate on the Nick's Data? I've already done a Sys Img to G: drive.
    What is a Belarc Advisor audit?

Rebooting now to see if drives stay the same.

--
    Nick

caddman6425, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

installing a system image onto a new device

1. installing a system image onto a new device - Similar Threads - installing system image

2. Restoring files with a system image on a new device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring files with a system image on a new device: Hello. I had to send off my device to be repaired by the manufacture and before I did I made a system image. Long story short they messed up and had to send me a new laptop instead of my original device.Now however I realise that because it's a different device, all be it the...
  3. Restoring files with a system image on a new device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring files with a system image on a new device: Hello. I had to send off my device to be repaired by the manufacture and before I did I made a system image. Long story short they messed up and had to send me a new laptop instead of my original device.Now however I realise that because it's a different device, all be it the...
  4. Restoring files with a system image on a new device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installing Windows10 onto new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows10 onto new SSD: I recently built a new PC, and used the SSD from my prior build in this one so I had Windows and didn't lose any files. I have another PC fully built, but no operation system installed on the brand new SSD for it. Do I NEED to download the ISO files onto a USB Drive and...
  6. Clean install of windows onto a new drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install of windows onto a new drive: How can I do a clean install of windows but change it to a new drive? submitted by /u/Starzz_1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jbisvz/clean_install_of_windows_onto_a_new_drive/
  7. Installing new windows 10 onto a new computer

Installing new windows 10 onto a new computer: i just finished building a pc and im trying to install windows 10 but my product key is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-new-windows-10-onto-a-new-computer/cd131f2a-54dd-41b7-a1b7-72f7bffd7914
  8. Install system image on new hard drive

Install system image on new hard drive: My hard drive was failing so I decided to create a system image to use on new hard drive. Every thing went well until I tried to load system image on new hard drive. Error message informed me that Win 10 uses UEFI, but my Win 7 used MBR. I upgraded my system from 7 to 10...
  9. New to Macrium: System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    New to Macrium: System Image: My setup: 256 GB SSD holding the C drive "Local Disc C" which includes my Programs among other usual files, 190 GB free of 223 GB. I have my Personal Folders (Documents, Pictures etc., Downloads, Searches etc.) on a 2 TB internal rotational drive D. Therefore these folders on...
  10. How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer

How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer: Can I install a vhdx image backup file from an old computer (win 10) onto a new one? I no longer have access to the old computer. From my internet reading it would appear that virtualization might be invovled and I've managed to install a virtual machine on the new...