Windows 10: Installing a used hard drive that has a previous version of Windows (7) on it to a new...

Discus and support Installing a used hard drive that has a previous version of Windows (7) on it to a new... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a SATA hard drive (1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12) which was the C: drive in a Windows 7 PC that crashed. It was accidentally powered off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BEW_MN, Mar 29, 2019.

1. BEW_MN Win User

Installing a used hard drive that has a previous version of Windows (7) on it to a new...

I have a SATA hard drive (1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12) which was the C: drive in a Windows 7 PC that crashed. It was accidentally powered off during the boot up process and the Windows system files got corrupted. After that the PC would attempt to boot normally but never complete the start up process.

I believe the data stored on the drive was unaffected by the Windows problem and I would like to recover some of it if possible. I think I could access the data on the old drive if I installed it as supplemental storage on my new Windows 10 PC which also has a 1 TB SATA drive. Obviously, I need to make sure that the computer continues to boot from Windows 10 on the new PC so that I can access and delete the corrupted Windows files from the newly-installed-but-used hard drive.

Is it possible to install the old hard drive in the new PC while ensuring that the new PC continues to boot from it's own Windows 10 files and does not attempt to boot from the corrupted Windows 7 files?

Thanks in advance.

:)

BEW_MN, Mar 29, 2019

2. Problems installing new hard drive

Hello,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 29, 2019
  3. How to install Windows 7 on a 4TB hard drive? UEFI?

Solution 1: Buy a new motherboard that is UEFI compatible. I assume once I buy the UEFI compatible motherboard, Windows 7 install will automatically let the software install on the 4TB hard drive?

Solution 2: Buy a Solid State Drive and run Windows 7 on that without buying a new motherboard and decided to use the 4 TB drive as storage.

supadupa64, Mar 29, 2019
  4. Installing a used hard drive that has a previous version of Windows (7) on it to a new...

little cat, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

Installing a used hard drive that has a previous version of Windows (7) on it to a new...

1. Installing a used hard drive that has a previous version of Windows (7) on it to a new... - Similar Threads - Installing used hard

2. INSTALLING WINDOWS IN A NEW HARD DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INSTALLING WINDOWS IN A NEW HARD DRIVE: Hi, I just got a new hard drive for my Dell XPS 8500, the old one crashed and I tried everything with no results I think the drive is not spinning. I got the same Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD 2TB, already plugged in and run an ePSA diagnostics, and it already showed in my PC...
  3. installing windows on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing windows on new hard drive: my old hard drive got fried with a power surge. got a replacement hard drive, got a USB for installation, but it won't install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-windows-on-new-hard-drive/29b67674-63e4-4db0-b671-4324d96b31be
  4. Trying to install Windows on new hard drive using USB.....

Trying to install Windows on new hard drive using USB.....: I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5755. I'm currently at "where do you want to install Windows?" Drive 0 Unallocated Space Drive 1 Partition 1: ESD-USB When I click on the latter it reads, "Windows can't be installed on drive 1 partition 1. Show details...
  5. installing Windows on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing Windows on new hard drive: The hard drive on my computer crashed. I have a new hard drive but I don't know how to install Windows 10 on it once I put it in as it will have no OS. I had windows 10 on drive that crashed. How can I get windows 10 on new drive without having to buy Windows 10 again. Have...
  6. Installing Windows to a new hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows to a new hard drive.: To cut a long story short, the hard drive in my old PC died. Fortunately, I was in the process of building a new one, so I have the parts at my house, except a case, as I'm getting one from a friend. However, that hard drive is the one that had Windows installed on it, and...
  7. new hard drive has win7

new hard drive has win7: My old laptop has a new hard drive in which I had installed win7. This was a few months before getting notified about the termination of updates to win7. laptops. Anyways what I want to know is if installing win10 software on my laptop would be better than buying a laptop...
  8. installing previously purchased (and installed) game on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installing previously purchased (and installed) game on new hard drive: Just wondering if it's possible to reinstall a previously purchased game onto a new hard drive, as the game i previously installed i can no longer access due to having to replace old hard drive due to error / failure. Or would you have to purchase the game again? Thanks...
  9. new hard drive has windows installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    new hard drive has windows installed: I have factory installed widows10, on brand new hard drive. nothing else on disk. what is next step? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hard-drive-has-windows-installed/fed6ecb6-7451-4a47-9fb8-85ad4e34bb6a
  10. Partition hard drive to install Windows 7

Partition hard drive to install Windows 7: Hello all, I've already upgraded to Windows 10 on my desktop PC, and there were no issues with the upgrade. However, I work from home and my work has informed me that they won't accept Windows 10, they will only accept 7 or 8.1 as their operating system (they also only...