Windows 10: Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen

Discus and support Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have installed Windows 10 and then my laptop tried to install AMD display drivers. But rebooting the laptop resulted in a black screen. I performed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Brooke Grant, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen

I have installed Windows 10 and then my laptop tried to install AMD display drivers. But rebooting the laptop resulted in a black screen. I performed some troubleshooting steps like deleting Windows automatic updates and updating graphic card drivers. But I still get the black screen. I use Radeon r9 270 gpu, intel i5-4670k cpu. My system is Windows 10 64 bit.

:)

Brooke Grant, Apr 13, 2019
  2. Mala_S Win User

AMD drivers causing computer to black screen without a cursor

Hello krise1,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

What is the make and model of the PC?

Generally, this issue is caused by incompatible devices. It can also occur due to connection problem with your display, display adapter driver update or due to issues with recent updates or installations. Kindly follow the below
    suggestions and check if it helps.

Method 1: Boot into Safe Mode.

If you are unable to boot to the desktop due to black screen, I recommend you to get into safe mode through WinRE. Wherein, safe mode starts Windows in a basic state using limited set of files and drivers. For more information,
    you may refer the article on
    Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    and refer to the suggestions provided under ‘From a black or blank screen’.

Method 2: Update the Graphics drivers.

If the latest edition of driver is causing the issue, you may revert to the previous edition and check if the issue persists. To do that,

• Right click on the Start menu and select
      Device Manager.
    • Locate to Display adapters in Device Manager and expand it.
    • Right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    • Select Driver tab and hit on
      Roll Back Driver
      option.

Else, you can uninstall the latest drivers from the device manager and re-install the old drivers from

AMD Radeon R9 270 Drivers
    website.

Additional Information: You may also refer to the article on

Troubleshoot black screen errors
    for further information.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Apr 13, 2019
  3. Niru Win User
    AMD Radeon 6970 drivers cause black screen

I have a AMD Radgeon 6970 graphics card and my computer will frequently black screen, i.e. Nothing is getting sent to my monitor and everything is frozen. Similar to this question and issue: AMD Radeon GPU driver installation cause black screen
    This issue does not occur in safe mode. and the computer seems to work fine. There are no hardware events that I see coming out of the gpu, monitor, or processor. The only events I can see are adminstrative events for DCOM 1084 for ShellHWDetection and BITS detection. Is there anywhere I am missing to look for errors for this black screen issue?

Relevant computer info is:
    OS - Windows 10 64 Bit - This is a fresh install created recently download from Microsoft media creation tool.
    MoBo - https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS_IV_GENEZ/
    Processor - i5-2500k
    Graphics card - AMD Radeon 6970 - Driver version: 15.200.1055.0

4. krise1 Win User

Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen

AMD drivers causing computer to black screen without a cursor

I'm having an issue installing AMD display drivers on a new windows 10 Operating System. After installing Windows 10, connecting to the internet, and checking for updates my computer will black screen withouta cursor when it tries to install AMD display
    drivers. Rebooting the computer results in a black screen on boot similar to the one when the driver attempted to update. In order to fix this I've used the windows system restore to get back to windows. Afterthis I tried delaying Windows automatic updates
    and installed the up to date drivers for my graphics card, a Radeon r9 270, off of the amd website. At first the update appears to go well, but when it hits 40% progress results in a black screen without a cursor.After that attempt to solve the problem failed,
    I tried switching the cable connecting my monitor to the gpu out with another one, but that also resulted in a black screen when attempting to install the amd drivers. At this point I have no idea what to do.

My specs include:

intel i5-4670k cpu

Radeon r9 270 gpu

corsair 400W psu

Windows 10 64 bit OS

500GB SSD

krise1, Apr 13, 2019
Thema:

Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen

1. Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen - Similar Threads - Installing AMD drivers

2. [Windows 11] Black screen installing optional amd driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Windows 11] Black screen installing optional amd driver: Hi,I saw today an optional windows update, an update for amd driver. So i install it, but my screen is black, it past 5 minutes, i can see the red pc is working, and i can hear cpu vents, what should i do?...
  3. AMD Driver Causing Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AMD Driver Causing Blue Screen: Hello everyone,My AMD driver is causing repeated system failures =blue screens.Hardware: ASUS Zephyrus G14GA401IICPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS with Radeon Graphics 2900 Mhz, 8 cores This issue started occuring after having updated to Windows 11. Whenever I use Windows browse the...
  4. AMD Driver Causing Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AMD Driver Causing Blue Screen: Hello everyone,My AMD driver is causing repeated system failures =blue screens.Hardware: ASUS Zephyrus G14GA401IICPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS with Radeon Graphics 2900 Mhz, 8 cores This issue started occuring after having updated to Windows 11. Whenever I use Windows browse the...
  5. Black screen after AMD driver install.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after AMD driver install.: I recently did a clean Windows install on my old machine. I literally installed only Battlefield 4, Eset and Chrome. I noticed that Windows update also automatically installed AMD Radeon Drivers. After a few days i started seeing some glitches while playing BF4. One day the...
  6. Black screen after installing newest AMD drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after installing newest AMD drivers: After installing the newest AMD drivers through Windows Update or through the AMD website, the BIOS loads fine but it won't load Windows and shows a black screen, if I reset it a few times it tells me something is preventing Windows from starting and end up reinstalling...
  7. Black screen with cursor when installing AMD drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor when installing AMD drivers: Hello i have an AMD A8 7410 with Radeon R5 M430 whenever i try to install amd drivers after reset my screen goes black with cursor i tried uninstalling drivers with AMD cleanup utility but atill my screen goes black with cursor when i open my AMD 19.5.1 setup the problem...
  8. AMD drivers causing computer to black screen without a cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD drivers causing computer to black screen without a cursor: I'm having an issue installing AMD display drivers on a new windows 10 Operating System. After installing Windows 10, connecting to the internet, and checking for updates my computer will black screen without a cursor when it tries to install AMD display drivers. Rebooting...
  9. Black screen when installing AMD video drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen when installing AMD video drivers: I have a new i5 system with a fresh install of Windows 10x64 and a good old AMD 7870 graphics card. I have been using AMD Crimson drivers 16.3.2 for Win10x64. No overclocking. The system has worked flawlessly the last six weeks. A couple of days ago I had my first crash, when...
  10. Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver: When installing the AMD display diver my screen becomes black. My computer does do anything and I have to manually turn it off and turn it on again. When this happens and my computer boots up again the driver is not installed. I ran DDU before I tried installing the driver....