Windows 10: Installing application software on win10 using old distribution disks????

Discus and support Installing application software on win10 using old distribution disks???? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a win7 installation that uses a lot of old applications software; some just that: eg, word, and others are apps for a piece of hardware eg... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Davidk03, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Davidk03 Win User

Installing application software on win10 using old distribution disks????

I have a win7 installation that uses a lot of old applications software; some just that: eg, word, and others are apps for a piece of hardware eg driver and scanner for a printer. The oldest is office 2000 - new when windows Me was the current OS; and the youngest is a multi-function printer - new 11+ years ago when Vista was king. But they are all functional, used regularly and do what I want of them.

The problem involving old distribution disks arose when I tried an upgrade to win10:

- first, a migration in-place: all the old apps and printer worked fine after the up-grade, but the migration was a bust because some of the recent apps 1-3 years old used re-distributables that were incompatible with win10.

- the 2nd attempt was clean install, and here I quickly found that installing the printer failed: using the original distribution disks, it seemed run until a connection to the printer was requested and repeatedly a cable connection could not be identified.

So, it seems that the old software runs OK on win10, but getting it installed on a clean upgrade from distribution disks is an issue.

The question:

Can software on a distribution diskbe installed in compatibility mode? for example: insert disk in tray, close, open explorer, locate the setup.exe program on the disk, open it's properties and set compatibility to say winXP, OK exit properties panel and then execute? Would that compatibility setting still 'take' because the program is on a CD?

:)

Davidk03, Jun 19, 2020
  2. Ed P. Win User

Win10 People App Distribution List

I have been unable to create a usable entry for a distribution list containing multiple e-mails in the Win10 people app on my PC. I can create and save an entry but it is unavailable when I try to use it in the mail app. Is it possible to do this and,
    if so, how?

Ed P., Jun 19, 2020
  3. distribution lists

What are the Third Party Apps you would suggest? Would they work with Outlook App on an Android?

I'm looking to set up distribution lists on my cell phone.

thinkingal, Jun 19, 2020
  4. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Installing application software on win10 using old distribution disks???? - Similar Threads - Installing application software

2. What is this SCCM distribution error "This software is not applicable to your device"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is this SCCM distribution error "This software is not applicable to your device"?: Hello Community, I have an application from College Board called Bluebook.exe that I cannot install successfully via SCCM App-Deploy Toolkit to a managed student device that is locked down for user from being able to run Powershell or even view Local AppData folders. It was...
  3. What is this SCCM distribution error "This software is not applicable to your device"?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is this SCCM distribution error "This software is not applicable to your device"?: Hello Community, I have an application from College Board called Bluebook.exe that I cannot install successfully via SCCM App-Deploy Toolkit to a managed student device that is locked down for user from being able to run Powershell or even view Local AppData folders. It was...
  4. What is this SCCM distribution error "This software is not applicable to your device"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. software distribution file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    software distribution file: i recently got a new lap top windows 11 homei seem to be missing some updatesi have been able to change the catroot to catroot.bak as suggestedbut when i try to change the softwaredistribution file i am not ablein command prompt i get a error in red saying the file or folder...
  6. software distribution file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    software distribution file: i recently got a new lap top windows 11 homei seem to be missing some updatesi have been able to change the catroot to catroot.bak as suggestedbut when i try to change the softwaredistribution file i am not ablein command prompt i get a error in red saying the file or folder...
  7. Installing old software using the original installation disk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing old software using the original installation disk: For months I thought that Procomm Plus 4.8 would not install under Windows 10. I tried using various different compatibility settings, to no avail. Finally, I tried installing it using the original CD. It installed perfectly on a 64-bit system, with no compatibility...
  8. Software Distribution folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Software Distribution folder: I wanted to know whether should I have to worry about contents of file location -> Software Distribution/Download cause I am seeing that after successful installation of Windows 10 updates.. The downloaded update files are soon removed after some time! Is this something new...
  9. Windows software distribution folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows software distribution folder: Hello, Recently I have cleared the space in SSD by clearing almost 10gb from windows software distribution folder. I cleared by pausing all the updates. All my question is will there be any problem?? I typed this is run command: C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution...
  10. Install old printer software to Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install old printer software to Win10: I use a Samsung SCX-4100 printer, that I plugged in to my laptop running Windows 10. But I cannot install Samsung SCX-4100 Series software because it is too old. How can I install it or where can I find newer software to enable my printer?...