Windows 10: Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

Discus and support Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I would like to use my external drive for installing apps. Does it matter how the disk is formatted? Currently it is formatted as exFAT. When I try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DougSluggoSmith, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

Hi,I would like to use my external drive for installing apps. Does it matter how the disk is formatted? Currently it is formatted as exFAT. When I try to move my Spotify app to the external drive, I get an error "This app is not supported on the target drive's filesystem."I have changed my "save new apps" to my external d: drive, but nothing seems to be getting installed there.

:)

DougSluggoSmith, Apr 7, 2022

2. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Apr 7, 2022
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Apr 7, 2022
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Apr 7, 2022
Thema:

Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

1. Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use? - Similar Threads - Installing apps external

2. How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to format external hdd which has ubuntu installed ?: I have ubuntu installed in my external hdd but windows is unable to read it not showing in thic pc. I used the tool provided in the answer to a similar question:...
  3. Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?: Hi,I would like to use my external drive for installing apps. Does it matter how the disk is formatted? Currently it is formatted as exFAT. When I try to move my Spotify app to the external drive, I get an error "This app is not supported on the target drive's filesystem."I...
  4. Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing apps on external drive - which disk format to use?: Hi,I would like to use my external drive for installing apps. Does it matter how the disk is formatted? Currently it is formatted as exFAT. When I try to move my Spotify app to the external drive, I get an error "This app is not supported on the target drive's filesystem."I...
  5. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  6. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  7. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Why is there used space on a newly formatted external disk?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is there used space on a newly formatted external disk?: I newly formatted an external disk which had suddenly presented a problem that was not allowing me to access it either as a standard user or with an administrator account. The disk formatting was done from an administrator account using Windows Disk Management and default...
  9. Format External hard disk drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format External hard disk drive.: I have external hard disk drive which was prepared as a mini windows 10. I am trying to format from disk management and Command prompt. receiving below errors: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile,...
  10. Which format for an external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Which format for an external drive: I just bought a Seagate portable USB hard drive. It was supplied formatted as an ex-FAT drive. I changed this to NTFS. What's the 'best' format to use for external drives for Windows 10 use only? 139483