Windows 10: Installing/Booting from external SSD

Discus and support Installing/Booting from external SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Dear All, sorry for this noob question, but I couldn’t find any good up to date sources and my last information is that it is problematic: Is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/redditshreddit112, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Installing/Booting from external SSD

Dear All,

sorry for this noob question, but I couldn’t find any good up to date sources and my last information is that it is problematic:

Is it possible/easy to install and boot Windows10 from an external SSD connected to USB-C? If yes, are there any down-takes? And Good tutorials on how to do it?

Thanks!!

submitted by /u/redditshreddit112
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/redditshreddit112, Jan 6, 2021

2. Windows 10 Installation not Working. (SSD not booting afterwards)

Hi Bradley,

Not being able to boot Windows 10 from an SSD could be caused by system files that got corrupted during the installation or the boot priority of your computer needs to be altered. To resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any error messages that showed up when you attempted to boot Windows 10 from the SSD?
    • Have you tried to configure your BIOS to UEFI mode instead of AHCI?
    • Are you using an internal SSD or an external SSD?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 did you install on the SSD?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jan 6, 2021
  3. After Installing an SSD my computer won't boot unless I disconnect my external drive

Hi Richard,

We'd like to request for additional details about the boot issue while the SSD is installed on your PC. Please answer the following:

• What is the make and model of your SSD?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you tried the SSD on a different PC and experience no issue?
    • Are you getting an error code or message?
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 6, 2021
  4. jake Win User

Installing/Booting from external SSD

From Ubuntu, Installing Windows 10 on an external SSD

I've followed every post about this subject, but I feel like most breeze over details, so maybe I have a few misconceptions:

Steps to Problem:

1. Downloading the ISO file here: Scarica Windows 10
    2. Format external SSD to be NTFS
    3. Install ISO onto external SSD using mkusb
    4. Boot onto external SSD produces the windows 10 installation screen, but when I get past the language screen I get: "windows 10 A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk driver"

Question:

• Do I need to install windows on a bootable USB instead of the SSD? How then can I demand the USB installation installs onto the SSD and not the main hard drive (which has Ubuntu)
    • This error is usually seen for Windows 7 (missing usb3.0 drivers, but Windows10 comes with them, corrupted ISO, but I'm fairly sure the ISO is good)

I'm a bit lost as how to accomplish this. Some help in this regard would be swell. I have a laptop with Ubuntu (an internal SSD), and a blank external SSD (With the official Windows 10 ISO and an official product key), and want to get Windows on the external drive.

jake, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

Installing/Booting from external SSD

1. Installing/Booting from external SSD - Similar Threads - Installing Booting external

2. New ssd clone boots from external enclosure but not when installed internally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New ssd clone boots from external enclosure but not when installed internally: I cloned my SSD twice now once using arconis true image for wd, and once using a dual bay external enclosure with offline cloning feature. Both times I have the same result. My laptop can boot if it is left in the external enclosure, however when transferred internally to my...
  3. New ssd clone boots from external enclosure but not when installed internally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New ssd clone boots from external enclosure but not when installed internally: I cloned my SSD twice now once using arconis true image for wd, and once using a dual bay external enclosure with offline cloning feature. Both times I have the same result. My laptop can boot if it is left in the external enclosure, however when transferred internally to my...
  4. New ssd clone boots from external enclosure but not when installed internally

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting from an external nvme ssd: So i have a nvme m2 usb drive that i have Ubuntu on, and have successfully booted into on windows on my main computer.However i need to do it on my laptop and this seems to be a problem. I don't know why but i just cant seem to. I disabled secure boot, i tried it through usbc...
  6. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from an external nvme ssd: So i have a nvme m2 usb drive that i have Ubuntu on, and have successfully booted into on windows on my main computer.However i need to do it on my laptop and this seems to be a problem. I don't know why but i just cant seem to. I disabled secure boot, i tried it through usbc...
  7. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Not being able to boot from an external SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not being able to boot from an external SSD: I extracted the M.2 SATA SSD from my desktop computer at work, in order for me to be able to work at home from that system. And inserted it into a SSD adaptor and then into my laptop, then booted the windows from the SSD and everything was fine (2 times). Arrived home and...
  9. No SSD boot from external SATA 3 controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No SSD boot from external SATA 3 controller: Hello, Nice place here *Smile My problem is as follows: I have a flawless AHCI installation of Windows 10 Home on Samsung 850 EVO SSD plugged to SATA 2 native port/controller at my motherboard Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (GeForce 9400 chipset, F4 BIOS). Everything works just...
  10. Dual Boot on external SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot on external SSD?: Hi guys, I'm currently running Windows 7 (Bootcamp, MBP 2012) and planning to buy a new MSI laptop running Win 10. I would like to ask if it's possible to clone my old Windows 7 to an external SSD and run it as a Dual Boot on the new laptop? I'm working in music...