Windows 10: Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder

Discus and support Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I successfully downloaded an Intel Graphics Update from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which automatically went into the "download file," as a long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Alan515, May 24, 2020.

1. Alan515 Win User

Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder

I successfully downloaded an Intel Graphics Update from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which automatically went into the "download file," as a long string of letters and numbers, which at the end says.cab, and has it the same size listed as was shown in the Microsoft Update Catalog.

From there I am stuck, and I do not know what to do next.

Can this Download, as it exists in the "download file," be installed in a Windows 10 PRO 64 bit system as it is now in the "download file?"

If so how?

I do not know what a .cab file is, and I am a "medium experienced" user.

If you use the new EDGE browser to find this update, it has two listings that are neither Intel or Microsoft sites so I am afraid to use them.

Can the Microsoft Update Catalog downloaded version be installed? If it can will you help me do it?

Thank you for your assistance.

:)

Alan515, May 24, 2020

2. How do I install a .cab file downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog?

Hmm, you have probably .inf registered to some unpacker.

Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder [​IMG]

Anyway, can you identify the device by ID using Device manager for Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP ?
    Search for "pci\ven_8086&dev_8c3a" and then install it via device manager manually?

Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder [​IMG]

TairikuOkami, May 24, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    How do I install a .cab file downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog?

I took the full name from your post #1 and downloaded it. I get a somewhat different file name, more similar to your post #3 name.

Try that full file name instead of the one you posted. I'm not clear on where you got the two different names.

f14tomcat, May 24, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder

How do I install a .cab file downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog?

I downloaded that, and put it on a VM to test. I'm getting exactly what you are.

Error in DISM log seems to indicate it's a file within the .cab it cannot find, not the .cab itself. That catalog file may be corrupt.

The error from the DISM log, several like this.

Code:

f14tomcat, May 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Installing .cab download from the Microsoft Update Catalog, which went into the Download Folder - Similar Threads - Installing cab download

2. Run Windows Update using an update downloaded from microsoft *.cab file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run Windows Update using an update downloaded from microsoft *.cab file?: Run Windows Update using an update downloaded from microsoft *.cab file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-windows-update-using-an-update-downloaded-from/f2e89c0f-b139-438d-a318-af2a42eb5d89
  3. Run Windows Update using an update downloaded from microsoft *.cab file?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Run Windows Update using an update downloaded from microsoft *.cab file?: Run Windows Update using an update downloaded from microsoft *.cab file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-windows-update-using-an-update-downloaded-from/f2e89c0f-b139-438d-a318-af2a42eb5d89
  4. Run Windows Update using an update downloaded from microsoft *.cab file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 11 update KB5021255 does not download or install from cataloge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update KB5021255 does not download or install from cataloge: My PC has been fine with updates until the end of 2022. It is now refusing to go past 5% downloaded in updates and with the msu from the catalogue, it isn't going past a fifth for the install on the progress bar.I have tried to resolve this myself by doing some of the usual...
  6. Installing an update from the Microsoft Update Catalog, when it goes to the download folder...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing an update from the Microsoft Update Catalog, when it goes to the download folder...: I wanted to download and install Intel Graphics Update 20.19.15.5107 because HP Support Assistant said to, but the download from the HP website kept failing. The HP download sites seem to be all messed up. Then I used the "new EDGE" to search for this update. It was listed,...
  7. How do I install a .cab file downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I install a .cab file downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog?: My H81 chipset is not on the list in this post. Windows Update MiniTool shows "pci\ven_8086&dev_8c3a" and "11.7.0.1040". I have downloaded the following from Microsoft Update Catalog. Intel - System - 7/18/2017 12:00:00 AM - 11.7.0.1040 Windows 10 and later drivers Drivers...
  8. installing drivers from the update catalog (cab files format)

installing drivers from the update catalog (cab files format): hi Microsoft: I installed two drivers I downloaded from the update catalog. They are in cab format. I extracted the two files and it created two folders. I opened both and when I saw files that states, setup information under type, I right clicked on it and clicked on...
  9. How to install a new driver downloaded from Microsoft Update catalog ?

How to install a new driver downloaded from Microsoft Update catalog ?: As I encounter problems with my Lan driver Realtek and Windows 10 Pro 64, somone on the forum said me to download the last version from Microsoft update catalog which seems the good one. So I downloaded the driver but it is a .cab file. When I unpacked the files I obtain...
  10. Download and Install Windows Update from Microsoft Update Catalog

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Download and Install Windows Update from Microsoft Update Catalog: How to: Download and Install Windows Update from Microsoft Update Catalog [img] Information Most users obtain Windows Updates automatically through the Windows Update Service (aka WUS). Sometimes, however, an update may fail to download or install properly. At other...