Windows 10: Installing Flash opens Chrome instead of default browser

Discus and support Installing Flash opens Chrome instead of default browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; On now 3 of my 4 computers, when I install/update Flash Player, Chrome opens up instead of or in addition to my default browser. (I have Edge set as my... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by WildcatRay, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Installing Flash opens Chrome instead of default browser

On now 3 of my 4 computers, when I install/update Flash Player, Chrome opens up instead of or in addition to my default browser. (I have Edge set as my default.)

Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior? Shouldn't the install process only open the default browser regardless?

FYI: Because I have 4 computers, I download the installation files to a OneDrive folder, copy the files to the desktop on each computer and then run them from there. I download Flash for Opera and Chromium and for Firefox as I have Firefox, Opera and Vivaldi installed on my computers.

:)

WildcatRay, Oct 21, 2017

2. Can I make Cortana use the default browser (Chrome)?

Right now my default browser is Chrome but Cortana continues to open Edge instead. Is there a way to use the default browser with Chrome? If not I will have to not use Cortana.

MikeCleveland787, Oct 21, 2017
  3. Camiee Win User
    Can I make Cortana use the default browser (Chrome)?

No you can't. Cortana is integrated with Edge browser.

Camiee, Oct 21, 2017
  4. Installing Flash opens Chrome instead of default browser

Hi WildcatRay. Welcome to the Tenforums @WildcatRay

If you are on V1703 or V1709 go Start => Settings => Apps => Defaults apps. Scroll to the bottom of right hand side and click on "Set default by app".

Scroll down to Microsoft Edge, click on it and the Manage.

Are any associations set to Chrome?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 21, 2017
  5. Edge is and always has been set as my default. That's why I am asking my question, because the installation program evidently is not respecting that setting.

WildcatRay, Oct 21, 2017
  6. Did you check settings?

Caledon Ken, Oct 22, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    The installation program probably wants to install the NPAPI or PPAPI plug-in for Firefox or Chrome, respectively.
    Flash for Edge or IE is updated from within Windows.

Edwin, Oct 22, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Installing Flash opens Chrome instead of default browser

I use IE, Edge and Firefox, with IE as default browser. Edge/IE of course get Flash through Windows Update but periodically I have to install Flash for Firefox. I can confirm that the expected behaviour of the Flash installer is, on completion, to open your default browser at a page saying...
    This is just an advert, not a necessary step in the install, but it is labelled as 'Step 3 of 3'. Steps 1 and 2 were seen in Firefox, the browser I started the install from, as the first two steps in installing/updating Flash. The install requires the browser to be restarted to be complete, so it opens the 'Step 3' page itself in the default browser. It has always amused me that it opens IE and not the Firefox I was installing it for.

I don't have Chrome, so can't test the behaviour described, but I have never seen anything other than my default browser open. I've just tested reinstalling Flash in Firefox, only IE opened on completion.

9. Thanks for your inputs.

I have been experiencing this anomaly on 2 of 4 and now 3 of 4 computers. I install Flash for Firefox and only the default browser (Edge) opens after I click on the Finish button of the install program.

Obviously, it is when I install Flash for Opera and Chromium that Chrome then opens along with Edge after clicking on Finish.. In fact, this anomaly dates back to Windows 7 and reoccurred in spite of my doing a clean install of Windows 10 on the 2 computers that have exhibited this the longest.

FYI: I installed Windows 10 Pro a year after Windows 10's initial release or at the end of the 1 year free upgrade period. And, no, I am not dealing with upgraded Windows. As I said just above, I did clean installs of Windows 10 later on after the upgrades. In fact, I did in-place installs of Windows 10 later on after first doing upgrades on all 4 computers.

WildcatRay, Oct 22, 2017
  10. Welcome to The Forum WildcatRay. I have had Slimjet 15 installed along with Firefox 57 Beta 10 and only my default browser opens, which is Firefox.

Josey Wales, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Installing Flash opens Chrome instead of default browser

1. Installing Flash opens Chrome instead of default browser - Similar Threads - Installing Flash opens

2. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  3. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  4. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    google chrome as default browser: I have been using Google Chrome as my default browser forever, however now the last few days every time I click on the icon to launch it, it won't open. I have tried everything! I have uninstalled and reinstalled it at least 6x and still nothing has worked.Is or has anyone...
  5. News and Interests pages open in Edge, but Chrome is default browser

in Windows 10 Support
    News and Interests pages open in Edge, but Chrome is default browser: Is there anyway to make the news pages in the news and interests panel on the taskbar open in my default browser (chrome) instead of edge? I'm running windows 10 home 20H2 64-bit. Thanks :) 181182
  6. Google Chrome NOT Really Default Browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome NOT Really Default Browser.: I have Google Chrome set as my Default Browser. However, if I goto Control Panel => Security and Maintenance => Change Security and Maintenance Settings, and click the How does Security and Maintenance check for problems? link, Microsoft Edge opens. Has it got ANYTHING to do...
  7. Browser edge, chrome.. adds the pdf to download again instead of opening.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browser edge, chrome.. adds the pdf to download again instead of opening.: Whenever I try to open any pdf from my computernot the web in a browser, be it edge, edge dev or chrome it starts downloading pdf again and saves it in downloads folder. When I would open it again it would start downloading again and overwrite the previously downloaded...
  8. set chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    set chrome as default browser: how to set chrome as default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-chrome-as-default-browser/620d5e83-ab61-4586-93dc-eb5244b96387
  9. setting chrome as default browser in registry

in Browsers and Email
    setting chrome as default browser in registry: I have nothing against Internet Explorer but at work I need to be using google chrome because of it extensions. thing is, my workplace has a group policy on all office computer so that every time a computer is restarted - Internet Explorer is set to be the default browser....
  10. Chrome default browser problem & not updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome default browser problem & not updating: I've had this problem ever since I installed Windows 10 many months ago. Chrome is set as the default browser. If I open it and pin it to the task bar, after a while it'll start opening a new instance of Chrome (it takes up an additional slot on the task bar as shown below)....