Windows 10: Installing home network printer is causing a delay opening Wordpad

Discus and support Installing home network printer is causing a delay opening Wordpad in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; First of all, I'll just mention that I'm using Windows 10 2004 (build 19041), I don't recall seeing this issue in 1909 and previous versions of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fluidzreddit, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Installing home network printer is causing a delay opening Wordpad

First of all, I'll just mention that I'm using Windows 10 2004 (build 19041), I don't recall seeing this issue in 1909 and previous versions of Windows 10.

I opened wordpad today and found it was taking longer than usual to open. It didn't matter if I was opening a blank document or a saved document, the mouse cursor would spin and there was a long delay, sometimes as long as 5-10 seconds. Wordpad was opening, it was in the process list, but it wasn't appearing on screen.

Trying to find the cause of the issue, after I opened wordpad (with it still not on screen), I opened task manager, details, right clicked wordpad.exe, clicked "analyse wait chain" and found that spoolsv was in the wait chain list. I googled spoolsv and it mentioned print spooler service.

I have an Epson wf 2750 printer added to windows, connected via the home network (Asus ac87u router). Strangely I found the delay opening wordpad happened when the printer was turned off. When I turned the printer on wordpad was opening much faster, almost without any delay at all. Printer off = delay opening wordpad, Printer on = much less of a delay. Yeah this confused me too.

I have since removed the printer from Windows, by right clicking the printer in Printers & Scanners, and found wordpad is opening normally again.

Just to see If the issue had been solved, I re-added the printer to windows 10, letting windows install its own driver, and found the issue was there still and is reproducible. When the printer is turned off (but still added to windows) there is sometimes a long delay opening wordpad

Video of the issue -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhzE_TzD_O0

TLDR : If you find wordpad is opening very slowly then the issue could be related to your printer (possibly only via network) being added to windows. The printer doesn't even need to be turned on, yet there may be a delay opening wordpad.

submitted by /u/fluidzreddit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/fluidzreddit, Jul 1, 2020
  2. Boatvan Win User

Did our Epson printer get hacked?

Another question, is this on a home network or a work network? The steps @eidairaman1 listed are always a good first step. If this is on a work network you manage, I'd be much more concerned than the home one. It is possible someone is screwing with you, but malware could also be the culprit.

Boatvan, Jul 1, 2020
  3. Windows 10 networked printers not showing in Devices and Printers

New Windows 10 - not an upgrade. I have installed 3 networked printers. If I go to Devices and Printers, they are not listed. Some local printers are listed: Fax, Microsoft Print to PDF, Send to OneNote 2016.

However, if I open Wordpad and select print, I can choose the network printers and I'm able to print to the printer. If I look under Print Queues in Device Manager, the local printers are listed.

In the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers, the networked printers are listed.
    Any way to get them to show in the Devices and Printers applet?

Cardinal_Biggles, Jul 1, 2020
  4. LdeG Win User

Installing home network printer is causing a delay opening Wordpad

Printers Not Showing in WordPad & Notepad [SOLVED]

I have just found that WordPad does not currently find my Brother network printer, even though I can print from my browser and word processor. I haven't printed from WordPad for a while, but I have printed from Notepad recently, possibly not since the Fall
    update, which I installed (after many retries) 1 Dec 2017.

Neither WordPad nor NotePad shows an option for the Brother, just the PDF printer and the XPS Document Writer, and the Find Printer button shows the network computers but not the network printer. The network printer shows up in the Network area of File Explorer,
    and in the devices area of Control Panel, and, as stated, shows up and prints from other programs.

I have tried updating the driver, and Windows reports that the driver is latest available, which I expected, since the printer has automatic updating available.

Edit with solution:

I ran the Printer troubleshooter, and it said that the problem might be fixed by setting the printer to Default, and did that. After closing and restarting Notepad and WordPad, both the Brother and the Fax, which also had not appeared previously, were in the
    printer lists. I checked on the Printers & Scanners page in Settings, and found that "Let Windows Manage My Default Printer" was set, and turned it off. "Print to PDF" had been default previously, because I had used it last. It then occurred to me that that
    might have been the problem, and reset the default to the Print to PDF. Sure enough, Notepad and Wordpad then did not show Fax and the Brother printer on the printer list. This is bad behavior, IMHO.

LdeG, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

Installing home network printer is causing a delay opening Wordpad

1. Installing home network printer is causing a delay opening Wordpad - Similar Threads - Installing home network

2. Why is Wordpad slow to open if network access is available.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Wordpad slow to open if network access is available.: Running Windows 11. Problem: I have small Wordpad doc which opens instantaneously when I have no network connection. When connected, I have to watch a swirling circle for over 30 seconds before I can access the Wordpad doc. Happens each time I close and open the doc. Not a...
  3. Why is Wordpad slow to open if network access is available.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Wordpad slow to open if network access is available.: Running Windows 11. Problem: I have small Wordpad doc which opens instantaneously when I have no network connection. When connected, I have to watch a swirling circle for over 30 seconds before I can access the Wordpad doc. Happens each time I close and open the doc. Not a...
  4. Network Printer Installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Printer Installation: Error operation could not be completed 0x00000709 when installing a network printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-printer-installation/bba266ae-0c80-48a8-9ca7-91d6bd6f9172
  5. Network Printer Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Printer Installation: Error operation could not be completed 0x00000709 when installing a network printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-printer-installation/bba266ae-0c80-48a8-9ca7-91d6bd6f9172
  6. Network Printer Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Home network printer is causing a delay opening Wordpad

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Home network printer is causing a delay opening Wordpad: First of all, I'll just mention that I'm using Windows 10 2004 (build 19041), I don't recall seeing this issue in 1909 and previous versions of Windows 10. I opened wordpad today and found it was taking longer than usual to open. It didn't matter if I was opening a blank...
  8. Network printer installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network printer installation: I have a strange problem with a couple of laptops in a network of some 30 machines. We have recently had a couple of Lexmark networked colour laser printers installed and all machines have successfully had the new printers installed - with the exception of two laptops....
  9. Edge not opening Printer or Router Menus on local home network

in Browsers and Email
    Edge not opening Printer or Router Menus on local home network: My setup is ASUS Router for Home with 4 computers. Not sure when this happened but since using Windows 10 Ver 1809 (OS Build 17763.253) I Can connect to the ASUS router main menu by Name in Edge, but not using its IP address of 192.168.50.1. Also now clicking on My HP Laser...
  10. Win 10 Home 1803 can't install printer drivers for network printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Home 1803 can't install printer drivers for network printer: So, the subject pretty much sums up the issue, I have a new Lenovo laptop that won't install a network printer. (Ricoh AP3800C) Yes, it's an old printer that is end of Life from Ricoh, but they released drivers that are still working for every other Win 10 machine I have, and...