Windows 10: Installing HP Laserjet 4 printer with Windows 10

Discus and support Installing HP Laserjet 4 printer with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been using my HP Laserjet 4 for many, many years and it's still working. I still have a couple of cartridges to use. I can't seem to print from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GaStew, Feb 4, 2020.

1. GaStew Win User

Installing HP Laserjet 4 printer with Windows 10

I have been using my HP Laserjet 4 for many, many years and it's still working. I still have a couple of cartridges to use.

I can't seem to print from my new Windows 10 laptop to this printer.

I understand the driver may no longer be available.

If the HP4 works on the old Windows 7 computer, can I simply copy the driver from the old computer to the new computer? If yes, how do I locate the folder on the old computer? Once I've copied the folder to the new computer, what procedures would I follow from there to install the driver? Thank you.

:)

GaStew, Feb 4, 2020
  2. keithjr Win User

Windows 10 Driver for HP LaserJet 4

I tried this after doing a clean install of Windows 10. The list of printers that comes up does not include the Laserjet 4 plus which is the printer I am trying to connect via usb. How do I get that to come up?

keithjr, Feb 4, 2020
  3. CountMike Win User

There's a line missing in that guide.

Installing HP Laserjet 4 printer with Windows 10 [​IMG]

The printer I want is not listed

Clicking on it will bring you to port selection

than

Than it should download all possible drivers from which you can choose. I already di that so can't show you further procedure but here it is on mine.

CountMike, Feb 4, 2020
  4. ahowardaz Win User

for those who have a HP (Hewlett Packard) Laserjet 4 or Laserjet 5M I finally found how to connect up the computer to these great printers when OS is Windows 10. Follow step-by-step. This really works!! I love my old printer:

Win 7 with Win 10, and as others have reported the drivers for my older printer did not load.
    Although it is a HP Laserjet 4 plus, that appars to be not so important, other than the fact that the original cable has been replaced with one with a USB connector for my more modern laptop.

After struggling and Googling for far too much time, here is what worked very well.

--press teh Windows icon in the lower left corner
    --select "settings"
    --select "devices"
    --select "add printers & scanners"
    --select "add a printer"
    -- it probably will scan and deliver a message like "printer ----- isn't listed"
    --click on that message
    --scroll down to "add a local printer"
    --accept "use existing port" then scroll down and select USB001(virtual port for USB)
    --it is possible that if you are using the original cable that the default LPT1 is the correct choice.
    --that will lead to the same list of printer drivers that you would have had with Win 7 (my understanding, or misunderstanding, is that when Win 10 loaded it retained the Win 7 printer drivers, but did not make them particularly accessible.
    --select your printer
    --print a test page
    --all done
    --you may need to make that your default printer

ahowardaz, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Installing HP Laserjet 4 printer with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Installing Laserjet printer

2. Need old printer drivers for HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need old printer drivers for HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer: My Windows 10 crashed and had to reinstall windows 10 as well as all other software. The Windows 10 which crashed did not crash because of the printer driver or printer, however when I reinstalled Windows 10 and other software, Windows does not have the printer drivers for HP...
  3. Need old printer drivers for HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need old printer drivers for HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer: My Windows 10 crashed and had to reinstall windows 10 as well as all other software. The Windows 10 which crashed did not crash because of the printer driver or printer, however when I reinstalled Windows 10 and other software, Windows does not have the printer drivers for HP...
  4. Need old printer drivers for HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. HP laserjet 1012 printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laserjet 1012 printer: I purchased a new desktop, a Dell Inspiron 3910 with Windows 10 or 11. I can't seem to get my "old" printer to work with it. It shows up in my device settings but won't print a test page. I'm unable to locate drivers for it on Dell's website. Is my printer simply too old for...
  6. HP laserjet 1012 printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laserjet 1012 printer: I purchased a new desktop, a Dell Inspiron 3910 with Windows 10 or 11. I can't seem to get my "old" printer to work with it. It shows up in my device settings but won't print a test page. I'm unable to locate drivers for it on Dell's website. Is my printer simply too old for...
  7. HP 3390 LaserJet printer

HP 3390 LaserJet printer: I have a problem with my HP 3390 laserjet printer. I connected it to my new Surface laptop but cannot use it. Can you help me with this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-3390-laserjet-printer/a74a2323-12a2-4215-9d0a-5152cc121e18
  8. Windows 10 Not Detecting HP LaserJet Older Printer

Windows 10 Not Detecting HP LaserJet Older Printer: I tried everything to fix this and all the suggestions but all did not work until I discovered this. This fixed my issue and I was able to get my driverless printer for Windows 10 to work. I hope this helps you as well. I appreciate the suggestions and wanted to share this as...
  9. HP Laserjet 4 and HP Laserjet 5M Windows 10 connection instructions

HP Laserjet 4 and HP Laserjet 5M Windows 10 connection instructions: Follow these instructions to connect your HP Laserjet 4 and Laserjet 5M printers to your computer if you are running Windows 10. --press the Windows icon in the lower left corner --select "settings" --select "devices" --select "add printers & scanners" --select "add...
  10. Windows 10 Driver for HP LaserJet 4

Windows 10 Driver for HP LaserJet 4: I am trying to figure out where to get this driver for my HP LaserJet 4 printer. Worked fine in windows 7 but for some reason now it created an error #123. Through troubleshooting it said spooler had previous print job pending. Killed that restarted the spooler, then...