Windows 10: Installing KB4517389 causes critical error when accessing the Start Menu

Discus and support Installing KB4517389 causes critical error when accessing the Start Menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Installed KB4517389 and I get a Critical Error message every time I try to access the Start Menu. (see below) Operating System: Win10 Home, version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by O. Berkeley, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Installing KB4517389 causes critical error when accessing the Start Menu

Installed KB4517389 and I get a Critical Error message every time I try to access the Start Menu. (see below)

Operating System: Win10 Home, version 1903, installed 6/4/19.

1. If I uninstall this update, the problem goes away.

2. I tried reinstalling this update, but the same problem occurs.

3. Even in Safe Mode with this update installed, the Start Menu won't work.

4. I've even tried temporarily disabling my antivirus to see if there was some sort of incompatibility. It makes no difference.

For the moment, I have uninstalled KB4517389, but this is not a good thing to do.

Installing KB4517389 causes critical error when accessing the Start Menu c0c4b997-693b-4886-b9da-dc9d4093c785?upload=true.png

:)

O. Berkeley, Oct 8, 2019

2. Critical Error with Start Menu

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• What is the exact error message are you getting?

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by Ravinath P on October 5, 2015 and check if it helps.

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 8, 2019
  3. Critical error message on Start Menu

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

There may be many reason for this Critical error. I would suggest you to go to the below link and try the steps provided by
    Ravinath P and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Oct 8, 2019
  4. Installing KB4517389 causes critical error when accessing the Start Menu

Windows 10 start menu critical error

Hi Darcey,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

• Which are the four steps that you have tried?

As the issue still persist, I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue still persists.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Also refer this link:

Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

Installing KB4517389 causes critical error when accessing the Start Menu

1. Installing KB4517389 causes critical error when accessing the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Installing KB4517389 causes

2. Critical Error - Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error - Start Menu: Hi, I've encountered a critical error "Your Start menu isn't working..." How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-start-menu/96f57669-ca31-4b24-bb04-23afa30c285c
  3. Critical error start menu

Critical error start menu: Start menu not working, cannot access settings or edge, after running update 2004 2020 I only get a black screen with shortcuts but none work & every fix I've tried from what I am able to do has failed. Can't even run repair disc or get recovery to use an earlier date, I need...
  4. KB4517389 and the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KB4517389 and the Start Menu: The latest KB (KB4522355) fixed 95% of the start menu issues that I had been having on 1903. However, one subset of our computers has a new-ish and different issue with the start menu beginning with KB4517389. These computers are a Windows 7 -> Upgraded to Windows 10 1809 ->...
  5. Start Menu showing Critical Error after installing KB4517389 update

Start Menu showing Critical Error after installing KB4517389 update: This is still happening. Why is this still happening? Why can't someone at microsoft pull this defective update and post this as a known issue on the KB's support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517389/windows-10-update-kb4517389 [ATTACH]...
  6. Critical Error when clicking on Start Menu after installing KB4517389

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Critical Error when clicking on Start Menu after installing KB4517389: KB4517389 (OS Build 18362.418) 09th Oct 2019: This caused exactly the same issues as KB4524147 issue: .Apart from the ongoing issue that recent updates prevented search facility so had to uninstall them, with this update not only did search not work but unable to open...
  7. Start Menu showing Critical Error after installing KB4517389 update

Start Menu showing Critical Error after installing KB4517389 update: KB4524147 originally caused a critical error when using Start Menu AND it prevented my printer from printing. The latter was because of some mess up with the print spooler. I uninstalled KB4524147 and BOTH problems disappeared. This morning, I updated with KB4517389. The...
  8. KB4517389 causes Critical Error when using Start Menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    KB4517389 causes Critical Error when using Start Menu: KB4524147 originally caused a critical error when using Start Menu AND it prevented my printer from printing. The latter was because of some mess up with the print spooler. I uninstalled KB4524147 and BOTH problems disappeared. This morning, I updated with KB4517389. The...
  9. start menu - critical error

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu - critical error: When I got home from work today I turned on my computer. When I click on the start button I get a pop up now: CRITICAL ERROR Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it for you the next time you log on. The only option is a button that says sign out now. I hit it...
  10. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    critical error start menu: Hi, hoping this is correct section, (moved from BSOD,crashes) I wish to reopen thread on this subject as the last time I looked it was closed in June 2016. Lately I keep getting a critical error when I try to access start menu. I have followed Brinks tutorial on subject, but...
Tags: