Windows 10: Installing KB4592438, KB4586853 results in "Missing operating system"

Discus and support Installing KB4592438, KB4586853 results in "Missing operating system" in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Dear reader, 28 December last, I tried installing KB4592438 (2020-12) on my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.572 64-bit.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jaap Verhage, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Installing KB4592438, KB4586853 results in "Missing operating system"

Dear reader,

28 December last, I tried installing KB4592438 (2020-12) on my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.572 64-bit. The PC has an almost new Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB SSD; I bought it last November. The install seemed to run fine, but after restarting the PC, I got the message "Missing operating system" and had to restore Windows with a recent system backup. I only had that backup made because I encountered this problem once before with another update some time ago: the 20H2 feature update. In that case, I was finally able to install the update successfully by doing an in-place upgrade with the Media Creation Tool. I tried that 28 December as well, but the tool, after getting everything ready, only offered me a clean install; the option to keep apps and files was greyed out. A kind person in the Microsoft Community (answers.microsoft.com) told me that this was a bug in the Media Creation Tool and that it could be fixed with KB4586853. So I downloaded that and installed it; unfortunately, at restarting, it led to the same error: "Missing operating system". Most updates install without a glitch on the laptop, but now and again, something goes wrong. This is now the third update where that happens.

The disk is an MBR disk with three partitions: C:, the boot partition; a recovery partition; a D: partition where I keep my data; and a bit of unallocated space to keep the SSD happy. C: only contains Windows and programs. The recovery partition works; I've booted into it and it seems fine. I would prefer storing all data on a separate disk, but since there's no room for that in the laptop, I use the next best thing, a separate partition, D:, for that purpose. FDISK, SFC and DISM all come up with clean bills of health prior to installing the pesky updates. When starting up the PC with a recovery USB after the damage has been done by one of these updates, the partition structure seems to be intact, but C: is not the active partition anymore and its filesystem is "RAW" instead of NTFS. I've noticed that after restoring the backup of the system image, D: is whole and fine and all the data in it is there and uncorrupted. I have the nagging feeling that something really small and simple is going wrong, and that it's a matter of finding out what and then applying a solution just as small and simple *Smile .

While it was working properly, I've copied the MBR and track 0 of the disk with MBRTool and tried to put these back when the PC wouldn't boot. According to the program, this was done successfully, but it didn't help. I also tried the boot repair option of Macriums rescue USB. Macrium doesn't see a Windows installation or an active partition on the disk and can't go on from there. I've marked the C: partiition as active with DiskPart, but that doen't seem to "stick", if you understand my meaning. If I mark it as active, then terminate DiskPart, then restart DiskPart, the partition is again not marked active.

So how do I get these updates, especially KB4592438, to install correctly? For the time being, I have hidden KB4592438 with WUShowHideDiag.Cab, but that's obviously just a stopgap until a solution comes along. All help to find one, preferably not: "Do a clean Windows install", will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Jaap.

:)

Jaap Verhage, Jan 5, 2021
  2. Bing54088 Win User

After updates Windows 10 says "Missing operating system"

I have the same issue, and I followed your suggestion steps. After that, I can see C: drive, and Windows folder is there.

Then I rebooted the computer. But I still have the missing the operation system issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bing54088, Jan 5, 2021
  3. ' choose an operation system to start"

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, do let us the complete message that you receive.

Sometimes, this could be due to two operating system installed in your computer. Just to make sure this is not the case, I suggest you to try the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type msconfig and press enter.

3. Click the "boot" tab and check if there are any other operating system listed.

4. In addition, change the timeout time to 3 seconds(default)

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jan 5, 2021
  4. Kabas Win User

Installing KB4592438, KB4586853 results in "Missing operating system"

Missing operating system

I just used the media creation tool and the upgrade don't work, with the same result: missing operating system
    The clean installation(from media creation) is ok, but windows 10 is not activated.

After clean installation:
    The internal bluetooth hardware was not recognized, it does not appear in the device manager and so there is no bluetooth option available in the system.

Kabas, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Installing KB4592438, KB4586853 results in "Missing operating system"

1. Installing KB4592438, KB4586853 results in "Missing operating system" - Similar Threads - Installing KB4592438 KB4586853

2. Missing operating system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing operating system: When I turn on my HP G60 notebook I am faced with a message saying "Missing Operating System", I know why it is happening, I accidentally deleted system reserved partition, I dont have installation media, I use windows 10...
  3. Missing operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing operating system: When I turn on my HP G60 notebook I am faced with a message saying "Missing Operating System", I know why it is happening, I accidentally deleted system reserved partition, I dont have installation media, I use windows 10...
  4. 20h2 results in missing operating system - any fix known?

20h2 results in missing operating system - any fix known?: Lenovo m90p, installation of 20h2 update to windows 10 consistently corrupts the C: partition of the disk and results in system refusing to boot with "Missing operating system". Many hours wasted already - tried pretty much everything I could find, to no avail. Anyone...
  5. Installing KB4592438 results in "Missing operating system"

Installing KB4592438 results in "Missing operating system": Yesterday, I tried installing KB4592438 om my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.572 64-bit. The PC has an almost new Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB SSD. The install seemed to run fine, but after restarting the PC, I got the message "Missing operating system"...
  6. Cannot install KB4592438

Cannot install KB4592438: Hi, KB4592438 will not install on my system. From Windows Update, it fails every time. I have tried deleting everything in C:->Windows->SoftwareDistribution->Download; running several command line fixes that were supposedly helpful in a similar thread; ran the Windows...
  7. ''KB4586853'' is installed but i'm still on version ''.572''

''KB4586853'' is installed but i'm still on version ''.572'': i still don't know why i face this problem after few months '' 3 months or so " everytime i should clean install to get past the update that causing this issue '' error 800f081f ''. i did everything on the internet Dism , installing the .cab file,Mounting the...
  8. KB4586853 19042.662 won't install.

KB4586853 19042.662 won't install.: C:\Windows\System32>DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\windows10.0-KB4586853-x64_deb9db20837707fd59e74869625b7afb298fc232.cab Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.572 Image Version: 10.0.19042.661 Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package...
  9. missing an operating system

missing an operating system: so ever since I bought my Lenovo Ideapad 320, i have been experiencing the same struggle. i would be using my laptop normally then it just turns into a black screen and when I restart it, it tells me that system needs repair so I try all the advanced options and nothing...
  10. "Missing Operating System"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Missing Operating System": After the last Windows update I received an error message "Missing Operating System". The issue occurred when the system started to reboot after update. I did everything that I could, including the system repair, recovery from the system image. I used safe mode but cannot...