Windows 10: Installing Microsoft Store apps onto a secondary hard drive which already has data on it

Discus and support Installing Microsoft Store apps onto a secondary hard drive which already has data on it in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Having recently upgraded my PC, I'm looking to use a large hard drive I was already using for games to install new ones from Gamepass etc fresh Windows... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by JosephFirkins, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Installing Microsoft Store apps onto a secondary hard drive which already has data on it

Having recently upgraded my PC, I'm looking to use a large hard drive I was already using for games to install new ones from Gamepass etc fresh Windows on my primary ssd though. However, whenever I try to install anything from the Microsoft Store and direct it to that secondary drive it says I need to set it as the new install location.

My worry is that when trying to do that it states:

Installing Microsoft Store apps onto a secondary hard drive which already has data on it 5b7c72a8-ef99-445e-93a6-39b0b6d85825?upload=true.png

I'm worried this means deleting everything already existing on the drive, which I don't want to do since I have important stuff on it or just things I don't want to redownload/install.

In this case do apps mean ones specific from the Microsoft Store I had from my previous PC build, or everything that's on that disk?

I can't install games like MCC onto my primary drive due to lack of space, so is there a way to install games onto my secondary drive without deleting things I want to keep? I don't remember having this issue on my past build so I'm not quite sure what's happening?

:)

JosephFirkins, Feb 5, 2021

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    apps not working on secondary drive

Hi Lomavista,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Which apps are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Install all app updates from Windows Store.

Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store

Step 2: I suggest you to download and run the app troubleshooter from the below link and check if it helps.

Run the Windows App Troubleshooter

Do let us know if you are able to use all apps from secondary drive. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Installing Microsoft Store apps onto a secondary hard drive which already has data on it

Windows Store install location can't be set to second drive after it's recovery?

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you have experienced with the Secondary drive. I will certainly help you.

The possible cause for this might be if the secondary hard drive loses its letter/ path.

I suggest you to perform Check Disk on second drive by the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin). Type the below command.
    • Chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r
    Please refer to the below link and check if it helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13765/windows-store-why-cant-find-install-app

Kindly update us on the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

Swetha Sree, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Installing Microsoft Store apps onto a secondary hard drive which already has data on it

1. Installing Microsoft Store apps onto a secondary hard drive which already has data on it - Similar Threads - Installing Microsoft Store

2. How to install another os on the hard drive that already has a os installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install another os on the hard drive that already has a os installed: So i was planing to install another os to the same hard drive, where the os is already installed on it, but i don't know how to. Please tell me how to do it!...
  3. How to install another os on the hard drive that already has a os installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install another os on the hard drive that already has a os installed: So i was planing to install another os to the same hard drive, where the os is already installed on it, but i don't know how to. Please tell me how to do it!...
  4. Microsoft store not finding secondary hard drive.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store not finding secondary hard drive.: I have a C drive and a D drive. I want to download forza 4 on my D drive but it is not showing the option to pick which one. When it asks me which drive to install it on it only gives me the c drive option.I have change all the locations in settings to d drive. I fell that I...
  5. Cannot download onto my Hard Drive, Microsoft Store

Cannot download onto my Hard Drive, Microsoft Store: I cannot download a game onto my hard drive i click the install button and nothing happens, I have followed multiple online guides and have done so many things to try and make this work, but for some reason the Microsoft Store wants me to down load it on my SSD and will not...
  6. Unable to Install Microsoft store apps to secondary drive. Code: 0x80070005

Unable to Install Microsoft store apps to secondary drive. Code: 0x80070005: I am trying to install Forza Horizon 4 off the Microsoft store and so far it has been a very unfortunate experience. I am able to start the download while pointing at my C drive which is a smaller SSD boot drive. There is not enough room to complete the installation there so...
  7. Which drive to install microsoft store apps to

Which drive to install microsoft store apps to: Hi team, I had to instal iTunes and I noticed that it opted for my main drive. I do not want to put it there. After som searchign I noticed I could move possably move the program. When I tried this I get error 0x80073d21. Why am I not asked where I want to install my...
  8. Microsoft Store App already installed but not showing as installed

Microsoft Store App already installed but not showing as installed: Since Forza Horizon 4 doesn't show up in my installed apps I tried to install it today. I click on Install, choose one of my drives and click Install again. Nothing happens. I try again a couple of times with the same result. I try it with two other drives of which one works...
  9. Steps to replace secondary data hard drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Steps to replace secondary data hard drive Windows 10: I cant find the recommended steps to replace a data drive in Windows 10. I plugged the new drive in, formatted, and am now copying the files over by doing a select all and copy. I plan on removing the old drive and putting the new one into the same spot. The only error...
  10. Why does Microsoft Store not recognize secondary hard drives as an install location

Why does Microsoft Store not recognize secondary hard drives as an install location: After searching around on google results it seems this is still unsolved. No amount of doing wsreset or fiddling around in storage settings > change where new content is stored will make the microsoft store recognize it. This is ridiculous. The windows platform and the...