Windows 10: Installing my old laptops SSD into my new laptop as a second drive

Discus and support Installing my old laptops SSD into my new laptop as a second drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, just acquired a new Dell laptop. It came with a 250GB nvme SSD which is a bit small for my needs. It does however have the option to install a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GregH, May 9, 2020.

1. GregH Win User

Installing my old laptops SSD into my new laptop as a second drive

Hi all, just acquired a new Dell laptop. It came with a 250GB nvme SSD which is a bit small for my needs. It does however have the option to install a second SSD. My old laptop just so happens to have a 500GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD and it still works well. I have Windows Professional installed, all up to date according to MS.

i am thinking, to kill two birds with one stone, install the Samsung 500GB SSD into the new laptop as a second drive. By doing this I get both the additional storage I need and all my files on my old laptop. Now I realize I will need to delete the old Windows folder and all application folders, just retaining the My Documents etc folders with my docs, images, spreadsheets etc but will I run into any other issues, for example permissions? I would not be able to format this second SSD as I need the files on it and right now, I don’t have anywhere to back it up to.

i just want to be sure that this won’t bite me with multiple complicated issues And warning pop up messages down the line or slow the PC down.

:)

GregH, May 9, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, May 9, 2020
  3. Anthony12 Win User
    What to do with old laptop

Yeah this is good suggestions here with your old laptop but i just want to say you that you should replace your old laptop with any new laptop by exchanging the old one and i think this is the best opinion for you ....

Give us a call

Anthony12, May 9, 2020
  4. Installing my old laptops SSD into my new laptop as a second drive

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

As a computer tech, I have several ways to do what you suggest.
    One way to at least try, would be to make a new backup of your Laptop drive, to an external drive.
    Then swap drives, installing the new SSD into your laptop. Hopefully you have your backup program on a bootable CD or flash drive, that will boot up your Laptop.
    Run a "Restore" of the backup, to your new SSD, and if all goes right, you should then be able to just boot up your laptop normally to your new SSD.

For me, I'd take out your old drive, and connect it to my Main PC, along with the new SSD, on different SATA ports, and while running "Ghost" I'd clone the old HD to the new SSD. Then I'd put the SSD back into the laptop, and it all went well, the SSC would boot up the laptop. That would be the quickest and most reliable method for me.
    I only say that, because I've done it many times.

Installing my old laptops SSD into my new laptop as a second drive [​IMG]

Cloning one HD to another HD, using my main PC, and the Ghost backup program, in CLONE mode.

If you're close by, bring it over here and I'll gladly do it for you.

Cheers Mate,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Installing my old laptops SSD into my new laptop as a second drive

1. Installing my old laptops SSD into my new laptop as a second drive - Similar Threads - Installing old laptops

2. can I put my old SSD in my new laptop and then upgrade to the windows version the new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I put my old SSD in my new laptop and then upgrade to the windows version the new...: My old laptop stopped working. It had Windows 11 Home on it but it also has a 2TB SSD that will go into my new laptop which comes with a smaller SSD and Windows 11 64 Pro. I would like to keep all my programs and files without doing a drive clone or reloading my programs. Can...
  3. can I put my old SSD in my new laptop and then upgrade to the windows version the new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I put my old SSD in my new laptop and then upgrade to the windows version the new...: My old laptop stopped working. It had Windows 11 Home on it but it also has a 2TB SSD that will go into my new laptop which comes with a smaller SSD and Windows 11 64 Pro. I would like to keep all my programs and files without doing a drive clone or reloading my programs. Can...
  4. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  5. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  6. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Transferring installation from old laptop to new laptop.

Transferring installation from old laptop to new laptop.: I wanted to transfer OS from old laptop to new laptop in a virtual hard drive dual booting. The reason to do this is that I had some old legacy programs that I still use but would be unable to reinstall as no longer available. Old laptop was AMD 10. New one I7 with optane...
  8. Resetting my Laptop and Installing to New SSD

Resetting my Laptop and Installing to New SSD: Hi,I wanted to do a factory reset to my laptop and reset my pc. I have two drives installed in my system. What I wanted to know is when I Reset my PC, will I be able to choose which drive I want to have my Windows installed in?...
  9. Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?: I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y530, and have replaced the hard drive once before, due to busting the old one Gamer rage. I'm currently using a 250GB hard drive and have a 4TB one on the way. I talked with the Live help earlier, and the person said the license wouldn't work...
  10. Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one

Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one: Hi, I currently have a SSD with Windows 10 in my old laptop which I would like to move to a new laptop which has Windows 10 Installed on a PCIe NVME SSD. I've already checked and there is room in my new laptop to install my old SSD in. Is it possible to do this so that...