Windows 10: installing my own modem

Discus and support installing my own modem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We currently get our cable, internet and phone service from our cable provider. When we switched our service to include all 3 they came and put in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lnjr, Nov 25, 2020.

1. lnjr Win User

installing my own modem

We currently get our cable, internet and phone service from our cable provider. When we switched our service to include all 3 they came and put in a modem and I have my own router that is connected to the modem and my computer connects to the router wirelessly. The setup is down in the basement which is why I connect wirelessly to the internet. We are going to cancel our phone service and when we do the cable company is going to start charging us a monthly fee for the use of the modem; or we can purchase it from them for about $150. The other option is to go out and purchase our own modem. I have been looking at modems and what I was told was that a docsis 3.1 cable modem would be required for our up to 500 Mbps and up to 1 Gig speeds. A docsis 3.0 cable modem would be required for our up to 50, 100, 150, and 250 Mbps speeds. As long as you meet those requirements, a modem/router combination unit will work with our speeds. Please note, if choosing to purchase/provide your own modem, it is not something we can provide support for in the event you have any issue with that equipment in the future. You would want to contact the modem manufacturer for assistance if you run into any issues with that equipment. I do understand that if there is an issue with the modem that I would not be contacting them and that is not something I am concerned with at least I dont think that it is something to be worried about.

Anyway, my question is this. Is there anything else that I should be considering prior to purchasing my own modem and swapping it out with the current modem? I am guessing that there may be a bit more than just disconnecting the current modem and connecting the new one, but I am not sure what that would be. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Windows 10 Home version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572)

Thank You So Very Much and Happy Thanksgiving!

:)

2. Darren Win User

Wireless cable modem/router/firewall

can someone recommend me a wireless router with built in cable modem. Most of the devices ive seen are equiped with ADSL modems!

required features

• Wireless
    • firewall
    • router
    • Built in cable modem
    • fully telewest/blueyonder compatible

Darren, Nov 25, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    HSPA USB Modem

Hi,

To find out more about the modem issues that you’re experiencing after installing Creators Update, we just have a few questions for you:

• Can your laptop still detect the modem when you plug it in?

• What's the make and model of your laptop?

• What's the make and model of your USB modem?

• Is the modem plug-and-play or do you have to install a separate software to make it work?

• Do you receive an error message? If yes, please post a screenshot.

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

• Which network driver is on your laptop?

Note: To check the network drivers on your device, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start button.

• Click Device Manager.

• Click the drop-down arrow under Network Adapter.

We look forward to your response.

Yolvi Ell, Nov 25, 2020
  4. installing my own modem

ZTE MODEM is not working on Creators update.

Hi,

Your modem's driver may not be compatible with the Windows 10 Creators Update, thus the error message you're receiving. Here are our suggestions for fixing the issue:

1) Update the modem driver through Device Manager.

• Press your Windows key and type Device Manager.
    • Right-click on it then look for the driver related to your ZTE
      modem.
    • Once located, click on the drop down button and choose Update driver.

2) Contact the modem's manufacturer.

• Since this issue also deals with a third-party product, contacting the support team of your manufacturer would also be a good step to take.

Let us know if you need more help.

Jairit Bet, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

installing my own modem

1. installing my own modem - Similar Threads - installing own modem

2. cant connect wireless printer to computer, using my own modem and router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant connect wireless printer to computer, using my own modem and router: can't connect a Cannon printer MG5522 to my computer using my own modem and router. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-connect-wireless-printer-to-computer-using-my/2fe6cf6a-bdde-494c-8be4-24554bc42772
  3. cant connect wireless printer to computer, using my own modem and router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant connect wireless printer to computer, using my own modem and router: can't connect a Cannon printer MG5522 to my computer using my own modem and router. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-connect-wireless-printer-to-computer-using-my/2fe6cf6a-bdde-494c-8be4-24554bc42772
  4. cant connect wireless printer to computer, using my own modem and router

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How do I install FAX Modem for my Laptop

How do I install FAX Modem for my Laptop: Hello I have a FAX Modem from company ALLAN China for my HP Laptop. Operation System is Windows 11. So - but how do I actually install this Modem? I saw there was also a CD supplied with this Modem. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you. Its me Wolfgang...
  6. modem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    modem.: my modem will not respond to ip address.192.168.0.1.Have tried too reset it's factory password but no dice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modem/a8a60dab-d874-4fec-87ee-8090eeeeea5c
  7. modem.

modem.: my modem will not respond to ip address.192.168.0.1.Have tried too reset it's factory password but no dice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modem/a8a60dab-d874-4fec-87ee-8090eeeeea5c
  8. modem.

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. modems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    modems: My modem and computer will not communicate through the ethernet cable. Any ideas on what might be causing this? it says connected secured, not connected back and fourth. it says ethernet cable unplugged. it cant be the modem, because my other computer is plugged into it and...
  10. Internal LTE Modem installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal LTE Modem installation: I recently discovered that I could activate my HP Elitebook Folio 9480m on my mobile plan and I was wondering if anybody else had ever installed an internal broadband modem and if it worked successfully. 100159