Windows 10: Installing New SSD Questions

Discus and support Installing New SSD Questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MoonOS, Oct 26, 2019.

1. MoonOS Win User

Installing New SSD Questions

Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what are the steps I should take to move his windows OS to the new SSD, start fresh with just windows, but keep it so it is the full paid version of window and he dosent need another key. Please help me understand so I do not brick his pc, thank you.

:)

MoonOS, Oct 26, 2019
  2. Squirl111 Win User

New Build, Newb Builder, SSD question

hi Everyone.

i just built a new computer and had had a question on readying my crucial M4 SSD. i just read thru a post in this forum from March 5 with questions asked by Heldelance. there were a lot of replies and tips, most of which were quite honestly above my level of understanding. i just want to install the SSD as smartly and efficiently as possible. i have the 128 gig SSD, and two 2TB seagate barracudas. i play games, store over 500 gig of music, lots of pics and thats about it. my plan is to install the OS on the SSD, everything else on the larger hard drives. the post i mentioned previously mentioned several changes or tweaks. i can try those, but dont want to screw up my new computer before i really ever use it. with all of that said, i had a few questions...

1. i already installed the OS on one of the seagate hard drives. i was going to update the firmware on the SSD and then install the OS there. i used the crucial firmware updater and it said there isnt a drive needing the firmware update. im thinking the new drive may have already come with the latest firmware but i havent checked that yet. the bios does have the AHCI mode enabled. if the firmware is already up to date, what other changes or "tweaks" are best suggested for my usage. i just dont want to do myself an injustice with my new machine.

2. i have spent alot of time collecting music over the years, i sure dont want to lose it. i always have it backed up on 2 external drives but i was wondering if raid 1 was worth the extra step of precaution as well. do you suggest raid of maybe just store it on both of the hard drives interdependently? (yes, i realize that may be overkill but NOT LOSING the music and pictures are my main goal)

3. once i have the OS installed on the SSD, do you make it a practice of using the SSD for any other programs or solely the OS?

as my thread mentions, im a newb. i have built several computers in the past but always find i know just enough to get myself in trouble *Smile Installing New SSD Questions :) i wasnt sure if all of the changes or tweaks mentioned in the other post (Mar 5 by Heldelance) were basic essentials, suggestions or high end stuff.

any suggestions or tips i welcome, i appreciate your time.

thank you

Squirl111, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Installing New SSD Questions

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Installing New SSD Questions

1. Installing New SSD Questions - Similar Threads - Installing SSD Questions

2. Questions pertaining to SSD install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions pertaining to SSD install: My 10 year old HP desktop is running extremely slow. Perhaps due to the progression of upgrades from Win 7 to Win 8 and now Win 10. Takes almost five minutes to boot up and is slow opening programs. I have been told resetting Windows and installing a SSD is the best way to...
  3. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  4. New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question: Hi, I had an issue with my boot drive in Windows 10 which ultimately resulted in me having to format and re-install windows on my SSD. Before doing so I unplugged my 3 HDD which are configured in a RAID configuration. Because the OS was on the SSD, I didnt want to have any...
  5. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  6. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  7. Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?): Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is nearly 11 years old! And it's all installed on a single HDD [though a lot of my files are on an External HDD to save room])....
  8. Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions

Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions: Hi, I had a question for the experts here prior to doing a Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD. Background – My 7-year-old PC came with pre-installed Win 7 Home Basic that I upgraded to Win 10 during the free offer. I used Windows 10 for a couple months before the power...
  9. Questions after new install of full Windows 10 and new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions after new install of full Windows 10 and new SSD: I would appreciate if somebody could explain to me why I have a folder called Windows.old and windows 10upgrade in my C:\ I was having several issues with my Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7, Microsoft remote accessed my computer 4 times before they could fix it. After...
  10. Question when installing Windows 10 on new SSD

Question when installing Windows 10 on new SSD: Thanks for all input. I bought an inexpensive laptop last year. When installing a new blank SSD drive into it....This is what I want to do: Find the Win 10 key w magic jelly bean copy key onto piece of paper Remove original hard drive Install new SSD Install fresh new...