Windows 10: Installing OneDrive etc on a new machine

Discus and support Installing OneDrive etc on a new machine in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Considering a new Lenovo Yogo laptop. Here is my question. *I have a HP desktop with Windows 7. The Lenovo would replace it. I have Picasa on it (for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eknirb, Sep 27, 2015.

1. eknirb Win User

Installing OneDrive etc on a new machine

Considering a new Lenovo Yogo laptop. Here is my question.
    *I have a HP desktop with Windows 7. The Lenovo would replace it. I have Picasa on it (for photos, from Google)…as well as Google Drive, and OneDrive, and Dropbox.

*Picasa displays all the various folders I have in MY PICTURES. They are all synched to go to Picasaweb online.
    *Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox display all the folders you’ve put inside them, and they’re all online at their respective websites. Easy, we know all this.
    Here’s where I have a query.
    If I get the new laptop…what happens if I install those programs (GD, OD, DB, PW) on my new laptop? Once I install and sign in, will all the files in their current online location begin downloading to their new home on the Lenovo? (Instead of where they used to live on my HP.)
    Or do I need to wipe out everything online and start over? Which would be…difficult.
    Or…do I NOT install any of those programs, and just access stuff from/upload to/ the current online sites?
    Make sense?

:)

eknirb, Sep 27, 2015

2. Installing Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine

I got a windows icon on my taskbar that offers a free upgrade to Windows 10. I would like to install it on my computer, but first I need to know the following:

1. Are all the apps from Windows 8 available in Windows 10? For example, I have the OneDrive app and Microsoft Office 365 on my windows 8 PC, and I don't know if those are available in Windows 10.

2. Will this upgrade affect my personal files/installed software apps?

3. If I want to keep Windows 8, is there a way I can install this free upgrade on a virtual machine? Otherwise, I will just go with replacing my current OS with Windows 10.

Evan

EvanPopchock, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Ratandeep Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine

Hello Evan,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate you for providing details about your query.

Most of the applications which you already use on Windows 8 will be available after upgrading to Windows 10.

Upgrade will not affect your personal files or installed apps.

For question related to installing Windows 10 on virtual machine, I would suggest you to post the question on TechNet forums.

TechNet forum

Technet forums - Windows 10 Insider Preview

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Ratandeep, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello eknirb, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Windows 7 issues should be posted at our sister site www.sevenforums.com instead.

Brink, Sep 27, 2015
  5. eknirb Win User
    I understand, but the new laptop--where these progs will go onto---will be W10.

eknirb, Sep 27, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, there's no need to install OneDrive in Windows 10 since it's full integrated in Windows 10 by default.

If you sign in to Windows 10 with the same Microsoft account that you used for your OneDrive, then it will sync with your online OneDrive.

You're other programs should as well.

Brink, Sep 27, 2015
  7. XweAponX Win User
    You may not want to have more than one Cloud service connected the same way OneDrive is connected. I had OneDrive, DropBox, and Mega all installed and my CPU usage was constantly ay 95%. So I removed Dropbox and Mega and left OneDrive, because it's native on Windows 10 (Native means already built in like Apple Apps on iPhones). After I removed them, it was back to normal, about 30-60% usage.

If you use a lot of Cloud Storage Apps, it's better to just use the Tile Apps provided in the Windows store - When you do get Windows 10. But do not get the desktop versions, they'll bog you up for sure.

XweAponX, Sep 27, 2015
  8. eknirb Win User

So....when I sign into OneDrive on Windows 10...and I would be using the same ID, an @Outlook.com ID...all my online files come zooming down to populate the OneDrive folder on the new Lenovo?

eknirb, Sep 27, 2015
  9. eknirb Win User
    If anything, I think I'd just bag OneDrive because I also have a Chromebook, and that accesses GD perfectly, ya know?

eknirb, Sep 27, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    Well, it's a Chromebook, Drive is native on that

XweAponX, Sep 27, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct for the folders you select to sync.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 27, 2015
  12. eknirb Win User
    I just don't want to have to redo everything. I have a LOT of stuff stored online.

eknirb, Sep 27, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

As long as you don't delete the files online, they'll still be there.

Brink, Sep 27, 2015
  14. XweAponX Win User
    They are not exactly downloaded TO your PC - They are dynamic Links? But if you upload TO a folder, it uploads to OneDrive, and if you Delete a file, it DELETES from OneDrive.

XweAponX, Sep 27, 2015
  15. eknirb Win User
    so on a W10 machine, all I would need to install is Google Drive. If I put Picasa on- it will draw from the same photos it does now on this machine, as I will just copy all the photos over. I'm not sure if they won't duplicate online.

eknirb, Sep 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Installing OneDrive etc on a new machine - Similar Threads - Installing OneDrive etc

2. installing onedrive on new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installing onedrive on new computer: Hi,I am getting a new laptop. I have nearly one TB of one drive files in the cloud and about half of them already on my windows 10 laptop. I want to transfer the already downloaded files to my new computer. I DO NOT want to download all of those files onto the new computer...
  3. installing onedrive on new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installing onedrive on new computer: Hi,I am getting a new laptop. I have nearly one TB of one drive files in the cloud and about half of them already on my windows 10 laptop. I want to transfer the already downloaded files to my new computer. I DO NOT want to download all of those files onto the new computer...
  4. BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation: I occasionally encounter BSOD with my new machine. Mostly running stable but without any real cause it could throw a BSOD and restart my system.Below are my minidumps:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=gbwlz9...
  5. BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation

BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation: I occasionally encounter BSOD with my new machine. Mostly running stable but without any real cause it could throw a BSOD and restart my system.Below are my minidumps:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=gbwlz9...
  6. BSOD - New machine, fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - New machine, fresh install: New computer, fresh install, and I'm getting strange behavior.I've had 3 random reboots without any warning and 2 bluescreens with logs below.You can find the dump logs here:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=6n6qPrAny help appreciated....
  7. BSOD - New machine, fresh install

BSOD - New machine, fresh install: New computer, fresh install, and I'm getting strange behavior.I've had 3 random reboots without any warning and 2 bluescreens with logs below.You can find the dump logs here:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=6n6qPrAny help appreciated....
  8. Trouble installing Windows 10 on a new machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble installing Windows 10 on a new machine: I built a new computer over the weekend and I'm trying to install Windows 10 on it. I've purchased Windows 10 Pro and downloaded the .iso file to my MacBook Pro. I've tried to create the USB drive approximately 10 times using various techniques, but almost every time it...
  9. Installing Win10 on new machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on new machine: Hey everyone, I'm selling a PC and am looking to install Windows on it for the new user. I have my own system with an ISO for Windows 10, as well as a blank 1TB hard drive intended for the PC being sold. I'm not entirely sure how to install the ISO on the blank hard drive so...
  10. Switching Installations to a New Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching Installations to a New Machine: I have Win 10 installed on my current Dell mid-tower - I downloaded the Win 10 installer and retrieved the installer activation "key." But I just purchased a newer Dell tower with no OS. I want to wipe the drive and install Win 10 fresh, using this same key. I have no use...