Windows 10: installing or uninstalling video drivers causes system to hang

Discus and support installing or uninstalling video drivers causes system to hang in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello i'm coming here from AMD forums and going to repost my problem here as someone suggested, maybe you have come up against similar trouble. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by xerxares, May 2, 2016.

1. xerxares Win User

installing or uninstalling video drivers causes system to hang

Hello
    i'm coming here from AMD forums and going to repost my problem here as someone suggested, maybe you have come up against similar trouble. I have since updated my motherboard drivers but it didn't change overall situation.
    I'm having problems installing/uninstalling graphics drivers.

I am having this weird issue.
    I usually install new drivers as they are released, but i have been having trouble installing crimson drivers (whatever version). My computer always crashes during installation and even when uninstalling drivers (PC just hangs), therefor getting a clean install is also hard and it hasn't changed anything either (have used some other utilities to get registry clean of AMD stuff). I have had some success when installing driver and utilities separately or one by one, i still get crashes, but something always installs and in the end it somehow works (the driver anyway), although if installing driver separately and the installer actually finishes, it will tell me that it didn't install drivers anyway (gives me this message as a reason for failing: the driver package does not specify a hardware identifier). Mostly have problems with Radeon settings sofware later as it sometimes wont start with windows or just crashes if i try to change some settings (obviously something has been messed up because of crashes). But i don't seem to have any problems playing games or using whatever uses video hardware. My problems are with installing/uninstalling and using Radeon settings. It is always a very hard going (several hours and many-many restarts) and i am amazed my PC hasn't given up on me yet.
    Would be very happy to rid myself of this problem but i haven't found anything useful with google or in the forums here. (maybe i just dont know how to ask correctly...)

Im using deskdop system with ASROCK z77 extreme4-m motherboard
    GPU: ASUS r9 290x-DC2
    CPU: i5 3570k
    RAM: 16GB
    OS drive: crucial mx100 256GB SSD
    drivers....Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1 (although i have installed 16.4.2 beta drivers..tried at least)
    PSU: cooler master GM-series 650W

Thank you in advance!

:)

xerxares, May 2, 2016

2. windows 10, freezing up

I have a Radeon video card that is built into my laptop and i believe it is causing the hang up. I tried uninstalling the driver, and then restarted the computer, but the system defaulted to the most up to date driver update online. How can I install
    the correct Windows 8 compatible driver with these instructions if HP is no longer supporting it, and it isn't available as a separate driver file?

SaoPortland, May 2, 2016
  3. xWilluz Win User
    Installing or Uninstalling software causes Windows not to start

Installing or Uninstalling software causes Windows not to start and i have to use System Restore to get my PC running again

So i've recently installed Malwarebytes antivirus, after the install i had to restart, after my pc wouldn't start windows and i had to use system restore to get it running.

After this i had tried to uninstall my Audio driver to reinstall it because of microphone troubleshooting. after this i had to restart and the computer launched startup repair and i again had to restore my PC

this has also happened on 3 other occasions.

Any advice?

xWilluz, May 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, I'm wondering if you are aware Uncle MS manages the normal set of Windows drivers you need for your PC in Win 10?
    Thus if you install drivers which differ from his list, he will replace them unless you take special steps.

Key question:
    Since you installed Win 10, has your PC ever been stable?

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  5. xerxares Win User
    No, i did not know that. I just assumed it was like it always was: just install my own stuff and it stays that way... :S so i have to give it an order now to accept my own drivers, even if they are graphics drivers or any other for that matter?

Actually other than having crashes during installation of graphics drivers my pc is quite stable. Dont have any random BSOD-s or any other errors. Have had some bug-crashes with games that are in beta or are known to crash, so nothing out of the ordinary...
    This is the reason i turned to AMD forum in the first place, i figured it is somehow connected to graphics.

Computer hasn't been overclocked either since i installed win10.

xerxares, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. installing or uninstalling video drivers causes system to hang - Similar Threads - installing uninstalling video

2. browser video hangs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    browser video hangs: I've tried to play videos from MSN web site others also using Edge, Firefox, and Opera ----- I've tried with two Dell computers and a Gigabyte ----- within 120 seconds of play, both video and audio stop working but the time index will often continue to run !!!!! Windows 10...
  3. PC Hangs after installing Video Card driver

PC Hangs after installing Video Card driver: Hello Guys! Good day! Hope someone can help me. So today sadly my pc froze unexpectedly and I don't know why. This occurred when I finished printing something. I left my pc on probably 10 minutes and when I came back it just froze. So normally I thought its just a glitch...
  4. Interpret Windows logging to determine cause of system hang of headless system

Interpret Windows logging to determine cause of system hang of headless system: This turned out to be most likely more a Windows issue than something else. I have a headless system running Windows 10 Pro for my Domoticz home automation. Every now and then the system completely stops responding. I cannot get to my home automation website. I don't see...
  5. searchUI.exe causes Windows 10 Pro system to hang

searchUI.exe causes Windows 10 Pro system to hang: I have a Windows 10 Pro system that is fully updated. My computer is a dual Xeon 2.4ghz system with 48gb of ram and an EVGA Nvidia GTX 1660 Super video card. The problem that I'm having is that when the system is idle it freezes. When it is in use I rarely get this...
  6. Update Drivers hangs with "Installing drivers..." phase.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Update Drivers hangs with "Installing drivers..." phase.: I was trying to update display adapter driver(AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics). It am at a point where "Update Drivers" dialog shows "Installing drivers..." message along with a progress indicator continuously moving. It's been at this point for the last 3 hours, and I have no...
  7. system use 100% of my gpu and causing hang

system use 100% of my gpu and causing hang: This problem happen after window startup and sometime it happen randomly. I have updated all the drivers and also do a fresh start (under device performance & health) which it delete all my installed app but still happen even after that. Need help. Hp pavilion 15 au091tx...
  8. 9879 update - Muuse driver won't install and system hangs

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    9879 update - Muuse driver won't install and system hangs: Hi there I've posted this in this section rather than the VM one since I'm not sure if it's a generic Windows 9879 problem or a VMware one. Using a Microsoft mouse (so they SHOULD have drivers for it !!!!) - after doing the latest updates I had to re-install VMWARE...
  9. Large files on external drive cause system to hang

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Large files on external drive cause system to hang: Hi all, I have an HP Spectre laptop. I work in television and have to transfer very large files (70-100gb each). When a drive containing those files are connected, the system will hang - sometimes for a short time, sometimes it requires a hard boot. Not sure what is causing...
  10. System Hangs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Hangs: I have had repeated problems with system hangs since installation on July 29. The latest updates 3pm today have been applied. I have disabled most tasks in startup but so far still getting hangs varying from a few minutes till an hour or more. I have looked at the event logs...