Windows 10: Installing OS on a seperate hard drive

Discus and support Installing OS on a seperate hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to install an OS to a new hard drive for a computer I built, if I purchase the windows 10 OS, can I install it on a hard drive through a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TimothyStriegel, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Installing OS on a seperate hard drive

I am trying to install an OS to a new hard drive for a computer I built, if I purchase the windows 10 OS, can I install it on a hard drive through a SATA reader other than the C: drive or is it going to try to default to my computers C: drive? Also, is the license going to be towards the computer I purchased it on or for the computer I am putting together? I'd rather not spend the $$ only to find out I can't install it the way I need it installed.

:)

TimothyStriegel, Jul 30, 2020
  2. little cat, Jul 30, 2020
  3. installing OS X86 on seperate hard drive

hey everyone
    im trying to install ideneb V1.4 of OS X 10.5.5 on a spare hard drive

i was able to install the o/s just fine, but when i boot normally all i get is apple logo and a spinning wheel...i've waited over 2 hours and it just keep spinning

i tried booting with -v -f and -v -x and it goes through all the drivers, but it freezes when it gets to my motherboard(same mobo as in system specs)
    right now i'm downloading kalsay OS X 10.5.2 and i am going to try to install that on a virtual drive and see if that works

any help would be greatly appreciated!

frankie827, Jul 30, 2020
  4. erocker Win User

Installing OS on a seperate hard drive

Installing windows from usb hard drive

I know you can do that, but what about having different windows installers on each partition? I think that's what the OP needs.

erocker, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Installing OS on a seperate hard drive

1. Installing OS on a seperate hard drive - Similar Threads - Installing seperate hard

2. Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed: I have installed windows 10 on my old SSD, but it isn't in a seperate partition form all my regular data. I now have two SSD's in my pc and I want to move only the OS to my new SSD and keep the rest of my data on the old disk.I know that you can create a partition to store...
  3. Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed: I have installed windows 10 on my old SSD, but it isn't in a seperate partition form all my regular data. I now have two SSD's in my pc and I want to move only the OS to my new SSD and keep the rest of my data on the old disk.I know that you can create a partition to store...
  4. Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Installing Windows 11 on seperate drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 11 on seperate drive: It has been a while since using a dual boot system. Is this still available with Windows10/11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-windows-11-on-seperate-drive/c88d59c8-7d07-45a8-9add-a6e0b27c0896
  6. Installing Windows 11 on seperate drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows 11 on seperate drive: It has been a while since using a dual boot system. Is this still available with Windows10/11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-windows-11-on-seperate-drive/c88d59c8-7d07-45a8-9add-a6e0b27c0896
  7. How to install two windows 10 OS in two seperate internal hard drives and keep files seperate?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install two windows 10 OS in two seperate internal hard drives and keep files seperate?: Hi I am planning to install an additional internal SSD in a laptop running windows 10. I have purchased an additional Win 10 Home OS for the second drive and want to set up dual booting. Can this work with both drives running Windows 10 with seperate licences? My intention...
  8. OS hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...
  9. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?: Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808
  10. Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives: Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to the same bay, independently, when they will be recognised. Recently I obtained another dvd drive bay in which I installed the...