Windows 10: Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard

Discus and support Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After a BIOS update, our computer is no longer usable. It turns on to a black screen and stays that way. We've been in touch with the manufacturer who... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Sandjm, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Sandjm Win User

Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard

After a BIOS update, our computer is no longer usable. It turns on to a black screen and stays that way. We've been in touch with the manufacturer who sent out the update, but not having any success fixing it.

A "Geek Squad" person, told us we would most likely need to purchase a new motherboard, and also a new Windows 10 product key in order to get it back up and running . Then we found out we may also have to purchase a new hard drive in order to install Windows 10. I'm pretty sure the existing original hard drive is fine, so not sure why this would be an issue.

We purchased the computer new in 2016 with Windows 10 already installed. If we installed a new motherboard, can't we use the product key that originally came with the computer to reinstall/reactivate Windows 10 from Microsoft?

Also, since the computer will not even boot, how can we find the product key?

Thanks tons for any help/advice/info....it is tremendously appreciated.

:)

Sandjm, Feb 16, 2019
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Feb 16, 2019
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Feb 16, 2019
  4. Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard

1. Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard - Similar Threads - Installing reactivating installing

2. Reactivating Windows 11 after installing new motherboard on Dell laptop with pre-installed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating Windows 11 after installing new motherboard on Dell laptop with pre-installed...: HiI have issues with Reactivating Windows 11 after installing in July 2023 new motherboard on my Dell laptop with pre-installed Windows 10.I upgraded to Windows 11 in January 2022.It says, "Unable to activate Windows", "We can't reach our activation servers right now. Make...
  3. Reactivating Windows 11 after installing new motherboard on Dell laptop with pre-installed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating Windows 11 after installing new motherboard on Dell laptop with pre-installed...: HiI have issues with Reactivating Windows 11 after installing in July 2023 new motherboard on my Dell laptop with pre-installed Windows 10.I upgraded to Windows 11 in January 2022.It says, "Unable to activate Windows", "We can't reach our activation servers right now. Make...
  4. Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard: I guess my account didn't update to Windows 11 and I cannot rollback to Windows 10. Now I cannot activate Windows after installing a new motherboard and the troubleshooter is no help at all...keeps saying the servers are down, for over 12 hours now. What are my options for...
  5. Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard: I guess my account didn't update to Windows 11 and I cannot rollback to Windows 10. Now I cannot activate Windows after installing a new motherboard and the troubleshooter is no help at all...keeps saying the servers are down, for over 12 hours now. What are my options for...
  6. Reactivating Windows 10 after new hardware install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 after new hardware install: I have got a windows 10 digital license attached to my Microsoft account. Today I made a hardware upgrade and now windows 10 won't reactivate. When I have gone through the troubleshooter it says unable to activate windows. The error code displayed why windows can't activate...
  7. Windows 10 reactivation after new motherboard install

Windows 10 reactivation after new motherboard install: Hi Everyone, My PC was pre-built by Digital Storm. I ended up having to update some hardware including my motherboard. Now, I'm encountering an issue when trying to re-activate my license (which should be tied to my Live ID). When I get to the activation page in settings,...
  8. Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard: My old motherboard had a corrupted bios and I had to buy a new one. This was a system malfunction I didn't prepare for of course. Now Windows 10 is telling me that my copy is not genuine (when in fact it is). I have followed all the steps on the support page for this issue....
  9. Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed

Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed: My old motherboard was broken so I had to replace it. I know that windows considers this a "new computer", but is there a way to transfer the license even though I could not deactivate my license on my old mobo....
  10. Can't reactivate windows after new motherboard install

Can't reactivate windows after new motherboard install: Hello, I recently installed a new motherboard and other new components, kept old hard drive though, but installed my OS onto an SSD. I am having trouble activating my OS, even though in my previous PC and OS are linked to my one and only Microsoft account which I am signed...