Windows 10: installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting

Discus and support installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently planning to install only windows into a 64GB SSD that I find lying around for my HHD laptop just to speed up the booting process it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jeffchuaa, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Jeffchuaa Win User

installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting

Hi, I'm currently planning to install only windows into a 64GB SSD that I find lying around for my HHD laptop just to speed up the booting process it takes ages to boot up, I notice that Windows does have its installation tool to reinstall the Windows, but I wish to just only installing the OS into the SSD as it has minimal space as I saw there is other mentioning that they have kept theirs at 40+GB , the system that I'm using is x64, is there anything i do, since i know nothing about installing Windows, and i don't want to mess up laptop at this moment were there's movement control all aro

:)

Jeffchuaa, Jul 26, 2021
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Jul 26, 2021
  3. sttubs Win User
    Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Jul 26, 2021
  4. installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting

1. installing relocating windows 10 into a much smaller drive only for booting - Similar Threads - installing relocating much

2. not able to reduce size of video to much smaller with photo app in window 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not able to reduce size of video to much smaller with photo app in window 10: Recently out of the blue after a routine auto-update of window 10, am no longer able to down size video significantly when open in photo app or fiim/TV app to trim. Used to be able to trim down significantly from GB to MB- relatively fast and seamless. Now it does not trim...
  3. not able to reduce size of video to much smaller with photo app in window 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    not able to reduce size of video to much smaller with photo app in window 10: Recently out of the blue after a routine auto-update of window 10, am no longer able to down size video significantly when open in photo app or fiim/TV app to trim. Used to be able to trim down significantly from GB to MB- relatively fast and seamless. Now it does not trim...
  4. Boot drive relocated to another drive because of bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot drive relocated to another drive because of bitlocker?: I'm not sure how to phrase this, but when I used BitLocker to encrypt my C drive, I think it moved a boot folder to another drive my O drive, along with some other system recovery partitions my E drive. Now my question is that is it possible to move those partitions and...
  5. How to relocate iCloud Photos AWAY from boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to relocate iCloud Photos AWAY from boot drive.: It seems like everyone only has one hdd, but I have MANY, and I'd like to have space on my boot drive restored. All indications are that the photos are in the "cloud," but they still occupy my .5tb boot drive taking up almost all of the space. There is a cloud symbol by...
  6. Windows will not boot unless Boot drive is the only drive connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows will not boot unless Boot drive is the only drive connected: This is a follow up to problems that i was experienced in this post. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lmsr44/is_there_any_way_to_fix_this_reboot_and_select/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf I was able to get the problem fixed, but now it is...
  7. transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    transferring/installing Windows 10 in a smaller drive: Hello everyone. I have a laptop with windows 10 in a 1 TB HDD. I just bought a 240GB SSD for the OS and important/frequent programs. The question is, how do I transfer (only) my OS to the new drive without my programs losing the "links/references" to where the files are...
  8. Installing or relocating Windows 10 to an SD card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing or relocating Windows 10 to an SD card: I have small fan-less mini PC i use as a media server. I believe it runs a Quad core Intel Atom processor and has 2 gig of ram. It only has 32 gig of on board storage. With each successive update of WIN 10 I loose more and more free space and the unit slows down. It has an...
  9. Hard drive shows much smaller than is

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive shows much smaller than is: You're quite welcome. Glad we can help. However, I suggest to use the smaller drive for Windows, 200 GB is enough (186 GB shown). You can transfer Windows back to it then use 1TB drive strictly for data. Easier to manage and backup. If you need help on this, let me know.
  10. New recovery drive is much smaller than previous one.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New recovery drive is much smaller than previous one.: Hi, I'm confused. After my Windows 10 upgrade was finished I created a "Recovery drive" on a 32 GB flash drive and it filled the drive to 26.8 GB. I just finished a clean install on my hard disk with all unallocated space and decided to make a new "recovery drive" on the...