Windows 10: Installing replacement SSD on laptop

Discus and support Installing replacement SSD on laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running the latest Windows 10 Home. Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1198) The laptop is a Toshiba satellite S855 Intel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Curious, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Curious Win User

Installing replacement SSD on laptop

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running the latest Windows 10 Home. Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1198)
    The laptop is a Toshiba satellite S855 Intel cpu i7-3610QM, 8GB installed ram

Its old hdd is extremely slow so I want to replace it with a 1 TB ssd. The SSD is a Samsung 1Tb V-NAND SSD, 860 EVO sata 6Gb/s, Model: MZ - 76E1TO. The new drive arrived with no instructions or help.

I also own a Kingwin USI-2535 "SATA and IDE Adapter" which I've used in the past, so I know it works. See attached image (Adapter.jpg)

I made the connections as shown in the attached image (setup.jpg)
    The top cable from the ssd goes to the adapter with a usb cable for the laptop.
    The bottom cable from the ssd goes to the electric power supply.

I planned to use imaging software (Ease todo backup or Macrium) to "clone" the present slow hdd to the new ssd and then insert the ssd into the laptop.

But, when the ssd is attached to the adapter and the laptop, the new drive does not appear as an available drive in "My PC" as usually happens when I attach an external hdd to the laptop. The attached hd does appear in the Windows notification bar at the bottom of the windows desktop and I can eject it from that icon..

The only place I can find the ssd is in "devices and printers" (attached image: Devices SSD).

I therefore do not know how to proceed to clone the present hdd to the new ssd.

Can someone help? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

:)

Curious, Nov 29, 2020

2. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Hey,

I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd.

The laptop does not have an additional hdd option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nikaash

NikaashSenpai, Nov 29, 2020
  3. gordon99 Win User
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an external hard drive I use for backups and a free version of the Macrium Reflect program on the hard drive. The SSD is brand new. I have just 50 GB in total on the 231 GB hard drive. The SSD has 250 GB capacity.

gordon99, Nov 29, 2020
  4. gordon99 Win User

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

Hello Bree and others,
    I replaced my laptop hard drive with a SSD successfully. I used my external drive and Macrium Reflect to make a system image of the laptop hard drive as suggested and transferred the image to the new SSD using my Macrium Boot Recovery flash drive. The only hiccup occured when I came to move the four partions onto the SSD. It seems one has to do this by moving the "C" partion last. If you try to do it before moving the the other three partions the "C" partion grabs all the available space.

gordon99, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Installing replacement SSD on laptop - Similar Threads - Installing replacement SSD

2. replacement SSD drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    replacement SSD drive for laptop: My laptop cannot see my SSD drive so I assume it has failed, I am having trouble finding a replacement.The SSD drive installed in my laptop is an SK Hynix, I am attaching a photo of it.The is the only similar drive I have found and do not know if if it is...
  3. SSD Replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Replacement: My Refurbished Dell 790 SSD died. Everything on it is gone. Need to get Windows 10 Pro 64bit back on my Machine.. Via bootable USB...Thank you for the help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-replacement/cc449435-295b-47d3-a1ee-5f71cc550400
  4. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  5. Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?: I have a laptop (HP notebook 8 gig ram) running Windows 10 as a slow ring insider. I want to remove the hard drive which is as slow as treacle and replace it with an SSD. This requires that I do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD ..... My question is this: I have a USB...
  6. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...
  7. Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro: Am trying to replace existing 128 Gb SSD with a new Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD using a Sata USB Cable. The SSD does not show as a drive so not able to clone the existing SSD. It does show under Disk Management but without any assigned drive. Screenshot shows the new SSD as Disk...
  8. Replacing SSD In Dell XPS Laptop And Windows 10 Pro Installation?

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing SSD In Dell XPS Laptop And Windows 10 Pro Installation?: Laptop is dell xps 15 9550 i5-6300hq processor 8gb ram 250gb ssd 32gb m.2 ssd 3 cell 56wh battery I bought this laptop brand new few years ago on ebay not knowing that having a 2nd hard drive meant i get the 3 cell smaller battery. It also came with a regular 7200 rpm...
  9. Asus Laptop Replaced SSD Cant Boot Windows After Install

Asus Laptop Replaced SSD Cant Boot Windows After Install: I put a new samsung 970 pro mvme ssd into my laptop with a windows 10 usb drive, it recognized the drive and copied files, but at restart it booted back into the USB I removed it and it just keeps booting to the bios, i have secure boot off and csm enabled I cant delete boot...
  10. Replacing the SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing the SSD: Good afternoon everyone, I have a Lenovo Ideapad (one of the smaller ones) that needs to be upgraded if I can. It has a small SSD that although runs well, its just too small. Is it possible to install an SSD that has a bit more storage? Say 250GB? 102824