Windows 10: Installing software - cannot write to Program Files directory

Discus and support Installing software - cannot write to Program Files directory in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Trying to install a .jar program. At the installation path selection stage I get the message 'This directory can not be written! Please choose another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rooty94, Mar 18, 2017.

1. rooty94 Win User

Installing software - cannot write to Program Files directory

Trying to install a .jar program. At the installation path selection stage I get the message 'This directory can not be written! Please choose another directory!' when I try and proceed. (This is when saving in Program Files. Googling has led me to believe it is something about not being an administrator - but there is no option to 'Run as administrator' on this file. What should I do?
    Also, I have tried saving it in My Documents instead (not sure if this is a good idea?) and get the message 'The directory already exists! Are you sure you want to install here and possibly overwrite existing files?' which kinda puts me off.

:)

rooty94, Mar 18, 2017

2. File mover program other than File Explorer

I spent most of the day yesterday with 3 Microsoft technicians and none of them could solve the issue. We've been through the ownership routine many times.

But I believe the problem lies completely with File Explorer.

Although the directories such as Documents are marked READ ONLY ... programs write to the directory with no problem.

But I cannot use File Explorer to copy / paste to those directories that File Explorer sees as READ ONLY.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a Microsoft Engineer who will be calling to see if < he > can figure it out.

Since programs can write to those directories, obviously they are NOT < read only > but they are as far as Microsoft Explorer is concerned so that's why I'm looking for another program that will copy / paste files. I want to see if those directorys show
    up marked READ ONLY to that program too.

Arizona Willie, Mar 18, 2017
  3. LeonieEls Win User
    Error when trying to install a VPN program on Windows 10 proffesional

The following error message appears when I try & install a VPN program-

Error writing to file C:/Program Files/NordVPN.exe.

Verify that you have access to that directory

How do I verify that I have access to that directory?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage]

LeonieEls, Mar 18, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

I'd make a directory in documents (or somewhere else in your user directory) called "My_Jars" or something and save it there.

You don't want to save it in "Program Files" as most likely it will try to write stuff to it's own directory and you won't be authorized unless you run it as Administrator which you may not need/want to do.

Don't be tempted to change permissions on "Program Files"

Thema:

1. Installing software - cannot write to Program Files directory - Similar Threads - Installing software cannot

2. No Permission I cannot launch many softwares in directory "C:\Program Files\WindosApps"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Permission I cannot launch many softwares in directory "C:\Program Files\WindosApps"...: For example, if I try to launch WindowsTerminal or even Notepad, it turns out that I have no permission. If I use Adminstrator to log in the system, I can launch them.However, these software were installed by current user account but not Administrator when OS is Windows 10....
  3. No Permission I cannot launch many softwares in directory "C:\Program Files\WindosApps"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Permission I cannot launch many softwares in directory "C:\Program Files\WindosApps"...: For example, if I try to launch WindowsTerminal or even Notepad, it turns out that I have no permission. If I use Adminstrator to log in the system, I can launch them.However, these software were installed by current user account but not Administrator when OS is Windows 10....
  4. Cannot write to specified directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot write to specified directory: Using Photoshop Elements I have always uploaded pictures to c:users-name-pictures. However, the last time I set this location in the photo downloader I got the message "cannot write to specified directory"Whilst I have full ownership of this folder I notice the attributes...
  5. Cannot write to specified directory

Cannot write to specified directory: Using Photoshop Elements I have always uploaded pictures to c:users-name-pictures. However, the last time I set this location in the photo downloader I got the message "cannot write to specified directory"Whilst I have full ownership of this folder I notice the attributes...
  6. Cannot write to local shared directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot write to local shared directory: I wondered if anyone has experienced this issue... We noticed a permissions error on a server that uses a case management system. It works by writing to locally hosted shared folders. After a reboot, we get the error - "Destination folder access denied" "You need permission...
  7. Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86): I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well. By default, their installer (install.exe) chooses C:\Program Files(x86)\xyz as the install directory, where let's say xyz is...
  8. Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

in Windows 10 Support
    Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86): I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well. By default, their installer (install.exe) chooses C:\Program Files(x86)\xyz as the install directory, where let's say xyz is...
  9. Program Files Directory W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  10. Error writing to file when installing software

Error writing to file when installing software: I am trying to install Macrium reflect. It gets part way through the install process before an error dialog pops up Installer Information Error writing to file: C:\Program Files\Macrium|Reflect\Reflect.exe I have tried running the installer as Administrator I have...