Windows 10: Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Discus and support Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mpeill, Feb 26, 2016.

1. mpeill Win User

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed. When I run the VM, it runs the install from the iso file, and gives several options for the install, the first of which is to create a new install, erasing all data from the existing hard drives.
    I'd just like confirmation, before I hit go, that the install will erase all data only from the VM drive/folder selected, and not my complete Windows 10 installation.

:)

mpeill, Feb 26, 2016

2. Can I dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on the same drive without partitioning

That sounds like a much better option, or you can also use cygwin or something.

Ubuntu in a VM
    such as
    Hyper-V
    is also an option if you need the actual OS.

RobertJWin, Feb 26, 2016
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Unable to install fall creators update 1709

Oh i see.

I use Ubuntu on a VM.

Windows 10 has Hyper-V so you can download Ubuntu and create a Ubuntu VM.

More work yes, but i like it because it is more isolated too.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-run-linux-di...

SarahKong, Feb 26, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

As long as you are doing this in your Hypervisor, it will not affect your system at all. It's just your VHD(virtual hard disk) that gets formatted.
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I have less than minimum knowledge on Ubuntu.
    However, I have had some experience running Linux 17.2 "live CD" on my Windows 10 Home laptop.
    Insert the Live CD to the dvd drive to run Linux > remove CD to return to Win 10 Home.
    That simple.
    You can do exactly the same with a Live CD Ubuntu.
    You can mess up anyway you want while running Ubuntu and it won't affect your Windows 10 one bit.

What's my point ?
    That you can save the trouble of creating a VM and installing Ubuntu/Linux into it.
    Just thought I would offer an alternative.
    Sorry if I have gone off topic.

davidhk, Feb 26, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It will run rally slow. Get one of the lighter weight Distro's out there. It will still be Ubuntu, just a faster GuI.

bro67, Feb 26, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    davidhk you can run Linux on a USB microSD card or stick. You need to use a Class 10 device.

I run Ubuntu Mate on a Raspberry Pi 2 that is a Armv7 Quad 700mhz, 1 GB RAM. Makes for a nice test bench for playing with.

bro67, Feb 26, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

When I ran Linux 17.2 in Live CD, it did not appear to be slow at all.

However, Speed is relative.

davidhk, Feb 26, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Thank you.
    I already have one installed on my DVD.
    It still works flawlessly, although I seldom "play" with it lately.

davidhk, Feb 26, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    I run Mint Mate in virtual and the performance is great. If it ran any faster, I would get whiplash.

11. Berton Win User
    Mine ls Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on a 3GHz Dell Optiplex Desktop and a 2GHz HP Notebook [both 64-bit] and have quite acceptable performance, in some instances better than Win7.

Berton, Feb 26, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    Mine is Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE

davidhk, Feb 26, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

Hey guy's, the OP only wanted to know:

Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  14. If you created a VHD then yes, it can only be installed to that.

z31fanatic, Feb 26, 2016
  15. mpeill Win User
    Thanks for coming back to my original question, and I reckon it's been answered, that I won't trash my Windows 10 machine, only the Virual "hard drive" I've set up for the VM.
    Thanks for confirming that.

mpeill, Feb 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v - Similar Threads - Installing Ubuntu using

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  5. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  6. How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?

How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?: If there is a tutorial already, I cannot find it here as most of the hyper-V references are about getting Hyper-V working. I have: - Physical Notebook running Windows 10 Home (with key of course) - Physical Notebook running Window 10 Edu (with key of course) - Hyper-V...
  7. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  8. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops. - I've used Virtualbox previously...
  9. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  10. Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V: Hi folks Some might be interested in this -- could be a winner for Ms if they can eat into VMware's market. Microsoft's revealed a plan to make Ubuntu 18.04 a "first-class" guest under Hyper-V. Microsoft's definition of first-class may sound a bit ho-hum for users...
Tags: