Windows 10: Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Discus and support Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Thanks for coming back to my original question, and I reckon it's been answered, that I won't trash my Windows 10 machine, only the Virual "hard drive"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mpeill, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

You're welcome, I like to use Ubuntu in Hyper-V too. One thing to keep in mind is, if you need sound, or want a larger resolution, you might be better off using VMware-player-7.1.2-2780323 and uninstalling/turning off Hyper-V.

Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  2. cereberus Win User

Hasn't that now been superseded with vmware workstation 12 (free version available) which is what I use now?

Works great with Windows 10.

cereberus, Feb 26, 2016
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    On a VM it should run at near native speed -- not my favourite distro but that's another issue.

As for slow speed --I've got CENTOS 7 on an external old Laptop HDD that I "cannabalized" from a defunct laptop and it runs really fine plugged into the usb port via a SATA-->USB2 or better -->USB3 connector. I even bring up a Windows VM on it and it runs perfectly fine too.

I "cloned" the whole thing to an SSD and it runs almost as fast as natively booting. There's almost no lag in starting the Windows VM too from this SSD.

OK that's not what the OP was wanting -- he might want to learn about VM's or HYPER-V or both -- why not VM's are excellent as a learning tool.

All you need is to have enough RAM and make sure the HOST is not too busy when using the VM.

This talk of poor performance on VM's these days on reasonably modern hardware is PURE BOVINE SCATOLOGY --

Lack of RAM will be an issue --shouldn't be a problem these days - even a modest laptop usually has 8GB RAM fitted - in any case Linux distros don't need much unless you run huge overbloated GUI's on them).

I can't stress this often enough but over the years the biggest single issue I've found in poor computer performance has been the incredibly poor performance and quality of consumer HDD's. These days with SSD's, and the use of NAS boxes and home servers HDD's have improved in quality - but slow HDD's will absolutely KILL any system even with dual or quad i7 processors in them. !!!!!!

VMware workstation is now 12.1 - fixes a few issues with various video drivers - especially if you want to try on a 4K UHD TV.

There is an equivalent VMware player (free) but you have to hunt for it since there is a paid VMware player version too. - Seems all these companies are making their Free stuff harder and harder to find. VMware workstation is paid for software but really great in managing VM's - you can run them as servers (i.e in the background) and use dynamic RAM rather than have to have it all allocated in advance and a number of other things -- for normal casual home users the Freebie is perfectly OK. I get VMware workstation from work otherwise I'd be wuite happy with VMware player.

Hyper-V also has a few issues with USB as well as sound so it might not be the best choice if you want to play around with bits of hardware on your VM.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

1. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v - Similar Threads - Installing Ubuntu using

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  5. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  6. How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?

How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?: If there is a tutorial already, I cannot find it here as most of the hyper-V references are about getting Hyper-V working. I have: - Physical Notebook running Windows 10 Home (with key of course) - Physical Notebook running Window 10 Edu (with key of course) - Hyper-V...
  7. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  8. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops. - I've used Virtualbox previously...
  9. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  10. Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V: Hi folks Some might be interested in this -- could be a winner for Ms if they can eat into VMware's market. Microsoft's revealed a plan to make Ubuntu 18.04 a "first-class" guest under Hyper-V. Microsoft's definition of first-class may sound a bit ho-hum for users...
Tags: