Windows 10: Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?

Discus and support Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have another question I hope you can answer about safe networking. I have another old computer that I don't use (Windows XP). Can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CerebralFreeze, May 28, 2018.

1. Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?

Hey guys, I have another question I hope you can answer about safe networking.

I have another old computer that I don't use (Windows XP). Can I install VirtualBox (or Sandboxie) on it and use it when I need to access sites that aren't exactly safe.

For example, if I wanted to go to PubFilm.to and watch movies, would VirtualBox protect the other computers on my home network from getting any viruses that might get downloaded to the old computer?

Also, can I use it to test 3rd party programs. Install unknown 3rd party programs and see if the registry has changed a week later? For example, I like ShareX but not sure if it does anything harmful to my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

:)

CerebralFreeze, May 28, 2018

2. main OS to virtualbox

so i bought a laptop with windows 8 installed on it. then i upgraded to windows 10 for free a while ago.

now i want to COMPLETELY WIPE my computer and have a linux as my main OS and have a windows 8 in a virtualbox.

now the question is: do i half to buy windows 8 all over again or is there another way, and if so what are the steps i need to do in order to get to my goal?

coy1010allen, May 29, 2018
  3. Nonstop alerts about virus protection

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the operating system with the security notification on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error code/ error message of this issue?
    • When exactly you get this error pop-up?

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: If you have installed any third-party anti-virus software, I suggest you to disable it and check if it issue persists.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software,
    you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall the third-party anti-virus software.

Step 2: I suggest you to run Windows Defender on your device and check if it helps.

Windows Defender is malware protection that is included with and built into Windows 10. This software helps identify and remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. So, you do not need to install any third party antivirus applications.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/getstarted-protect-your-pc

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 29, 2018
Thema:

Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?

1. Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me? - Similar Threads - Installing VirtualBox old

2. An update forces me to remove VirtualBox. But it isn't installed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An update forces me to remove VirtualBox. But it isn't installed.: I removed all the files with vbox in its names and I removed all entries with vbox in its name I was abled to.After restarting the computer and the update-process, it forced me to do again removing virtualbox.My Systeminfo: Gerätename ASUSZENPROProzessor IntelR CoreTM...
  3. An update forces me to remove VirtualBox. But it isn't installed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An update forces me to remove VirtualBox. But it isn't installed.: I removed all the files with vbox in its names and I removed all entries with vbox in its name I was abled to.After restarting the computer and the update-process, it forced me to do again removing virtualbox.My Systeminfo: Gerätename ASUSZENPROProzessor IntelR CoreTM...
  4. Is there a way for me to recover old quarantined items on Protection History?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there a way for me to recover old quarantined items on Protection History?: In Virus settings, this is the farthest back I can go to recover quarantined threats; 2022-03-03. Like it says in Protection History, it only lists the recent items. Is there a way I can go back and find all/older versions of my quarantined threats?...
  5. SECURE_KERNEL_ERROR after installing VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SECURE_KERNEL_ERROR after installing VirtualBox: I had installed VirtualBox and was running Ubuntu on it. As soon as I closed the virtual machine, I was hit with the BSOD with stop code: SECURE_KERNEL_ERROR.I was tweaking the RAM and core usage on it for a few hours. In the end when I had assigned it 4 cores out of 12 and...
  6. 20H2 update not letting me install due to VirtualBox installed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    20H2 update not letting me install due to VirtualBox installed.: I've read through all the forum posts about this issue and none of them ended up working. I uninstalled everything that could even possibly be an emulator, I tried running that .bat file an official support member posted but that didn't help it just told me the locations were...
  7. VirtualBox not installed but Windows Update requires me to uninstall it before security...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VirtualBox not installed but Windows Update requires me to uninstall it before security...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GreenAlien10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lmxzz1/virtualbox_not_installed_but_windows_update/
  8. Virtualbox Windows installing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtualbox Windows installing: [IMG] I wanna install windows 10 pro in VirtualBox but I can't because I get every time error code 0x80070570 and I'm using Dell G5 15 so I wanna how can I fix it...
  9. Install old computer on new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install old computer on new computer: I have an HP LaserJet 1018 printer. There is no driver for Windows 10. This printer was installed on my Windows 7 laptop when I upgraded to Window 10. After the upgrade, the printer still worked fine. I now have a new Windows 10 laptop and I would like to be able to use...
  10. How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?: Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then have the computer connected to my router so it can get access to the internet. Although it will be connected to my network, no...