Windows 10: Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #

Discus and support Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license # in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have an old laptop that originally came with Windows 7 and has been upgraded to Windows 10. I have just replaced the original HDD with an SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Envergure, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Envergure Win User

Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #

Hello, I have an old laptop that originally came with Windows 7 and has been upgraded to Windows 10. I have just replaced the original HDD with an SSD and am trying to reinstall Windows 10 using the OEM license key. I am planning on selling it, therefore the procedure of linking the license number to my Microsoft account will not work, because I don't want my Microsoft account on someone else's machine. How can I install Windows without it thinking I am trying to illegitimately reuse the license? It is the same machine, so the OEM license key is in principle still applicable.

:)

Envergure, Apr 1, 2020
  2. GT63_19 Win User

Reuse license to Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive

I'm installing a new hard drive on a PC hard drive that failed, it was upgrade from windows 7 to 10, can I reuse the license? and if so, do I have to install window 7 first then upgrade or just install windows 10? what are the steps to do this, do contact
    Microsoft?

GT63_19, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Need help on how to install OEM Win7 onto a new hard drive but in the same OEM PC

I have an HP desktop with OEM windows 7, all updates are installed, and I have the license key. It is an HP Pavilion Elite Intel core i7 with 8 GB memory.

I have given up on fixing the issues and decided to reset it back to its factory install and there is an HP application on the PC that says it will do this. Yes I realize I will also need to re-install the updates and everything else after.

What I want to do differently is to also replace the old hard drive (still working) with the new 1TB SSHD that I already own

Should I:

1) reset the existing hard drive back to win 7 factory install first and then clone it to the new hard drive and install the new hard drive or

2) somehow install the OEM Win7 on the new hard drive and then install the new hard drives --- not sure how I should do this??

3) or some other suggestion

In any scenario, I want to end up with the new SSHD in the PC with a clean re-install (factory) of the original Win7 and the old HD removed, or perhaps I may keep the old HD installed as a second for data only.

benjiminyoung, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #

new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license

Hi,

I have a Dell desktop with a pre-installed Windows 10 Home copy.

I need to replace the hard drive due to speed / noise issues.

My question is, if I get a new hard drive, how can I install Windows 10 on it again?

And how to ensure that will be a "valid" licensed copy?

Thanks

simplify3000, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #

1. Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license # - Similar Threads - Installing hard drive

2. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive: My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I regain my OEM licence?...
  3. OEM Win 10 license transfer

OEM Win 10 license transfer: Hello. 3 years ago I bought a laptop with OEM windows 10 license. 1 year ago I replaced the original HDD with SSD. Now Im thinking about buying a new laptop. My question is: do I need to buy a laptop with preinstalled windows, or is it possible to transfer windows and all...
  4. Windows 10 Oem to New motherboard and hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Oem to New motherboard and hard drive: Is it possible to transfer oem windows 10 if it is upgrade from windows 7? My brother is upgrading his computer to a Ryzen build with a ssd and has a windows 10 home key from amazon that was oem. Is it possible to then take that same key and use it with new hardware?...
  5. How to use MS license to new Hard Drive

How to use MS license to new Hard Drive: how may i do if my hdd fail and want to use a new hdd. I bought MS Windows license. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-ms-license-to-new-hard-drive/c3c3e1ca-e3ef-4170-afa7-bbaae44d3839
  6. Move OEM license to new installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move OEM license to new installation: I have a Windows 10 Home, it came with the laptop. I'm gonna replace the SSD, and reinstall the system. I won't change anything except that (and adding 8GB additional RAM). I want to move my current license to that. Is that possible, and how? Thank you! submitted by...
  7. Reuse license to Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive

Reuse license to Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive: I'm installing a new hard drive on a PC hard drive that failed, it was upgrade from windows 7 to 10, can I reuse the license? and if so, do I have to install window 7 first then upgrade or just install windows 10? what are the steps to do this, do contact Microsoft?...
  8. Using a Win 10 Pro full version disk with Win 10 OEM license to install OEM version of Win...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using a Win 10 Pro full version disk with Win 10 OEM license to install OEM version of Win...: The subject says it most clearly. I need to upgrade two computers from Win 7 pro, and will have new hard drives for each of them. The full version download for Win 10 Pro comes with it's own product key, and there's an option to purchase just a product key for Win 10 Pro...
  9. new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license

new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license: Hi, I have a Dell desktop with a pre-installed Windows 10 Home copy. I need to replace the hard drive due to speed / noise issues. My question is, if I get a new hard drive, how can I install Windows 10 on it again? And how to ensure that will be a "valid" licensed copy?...
  10. installing Win 10 on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing Win 10 on new hard drive: Hi I have a peculiar problem. recently my Lenovo G50-80 crashed. When inserting a bootable Win 10 repair/recovery flash drive, it would not boot from it even though boot order was changed accordingly in BIOS. I eventually resorted to removing the hdd, after which the...