Windows 10: installing win 10 on a new hdd

Discus and support installing win 10 on a new hdd in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a Sony laptop several years ago that came with win8 MS offered a free upgrade to win10 that I took advantage of When my unit crashed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by HarveyKornblau, Jun 19, 2019.

1. installing win 10 on a new hdd

I purchased a Sony laptop several years ago that came with win8

MS offered a free upgrade to win10 that I took advantage of

When my unit crashed a while back, I was able to download a media creation tool to a flash drive. to reintall win 10

I now have to replace this hd and was wondering if I can use the same media creation tool to install win 10 on the new drive?

I do not have any license #’s

:)

HarveyKornblau, Jun 19, 2019

2. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Jun 19, 2019
  3. rk3066 Win User
    Win.10 won't boot after installing Win.7

Hi,

So i installed Win.10 via the UEFI and after installing Win.7 on Legacy Mode onto a different HDD i can't boot into Win.10 (I believe can only because Win.10 was installed via UEFI)

I tried installing the BCD Software but nope. I even tried to select my HDD but say Winload.exe error

Even tried going into the USB and try repairing but the same thing happens

rk3066, Jun 19, 2019
  4. installing win 10 on a new hdd

Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

installing win 10 on a new hdd

1. installing win 10 on a new hdd - Similar Threads - installing hdd

2. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  3. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  4. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD: Also the button for new volume is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-device-which-does-not-exist-was-specified-while/c57a9fb0-e122-485f-824a-1e1ff798e256
  6. A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD

A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD: Also the button for new volume is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-device-which-does-not-exist-was-specified-while/c57a9fb0-e122-485f-824a-1e1ff798e256
  7. A device which does not exist was specified while installing new 2tb HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD: I'm trying to completely wipe everything off my computer and reinstall Windows 11 from scratch. I built my computer around two years ago and installed the Windows 11 OS onto a 2TB HDD but now have a 2TB SSD and want to install it there and swap out the 2TB HDD for an 8TB HDD....
  9. Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD

Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD: I'm trying to completely wipe everything off my computer and reinstall Windows 11 from scratch. I built my computer around two years ago and installed the Windows 11 OS onto a 2TB HDD but now have a 2TB SSD and want to install it there and swap out the 2TB HDD for an 8TB HDD....
  10. I changed mobo/RAM/CPU. Original install was on HDD. I reinstalled to SSD. Cannot reactive...

I changed mobo/RAM/CPU. Original install was on HDD. I reinstalled to SSD. Cannot reactive...: Hello!I upgraded my mobo/CPU/RAM from AM3+/DDR4 to AM4/DDR5.I have initially installed windows 8.1, which I had upgraded to windows 10 home. This was installed to my hard drive, and that installation is still present as I go about backing up data before formatting it.Instead...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it necessary to format a new hdd with a new win 10 os