Windows 10: Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key

Discus and support Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In 2013, I installed Windows 8 Pro with a valid product key. That was upgraded to Windows 8.1, and that was upgraded to Windows 10. My hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GaryGo, Jan 25, 2019.

1. GaryGo Win User

Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key

In 2013, I installed Windows 8 Pro with a valid product key. That was upgraded to Windows 8.1, and that was upgraded to Windows 10.

My hard drive crashed and I am reinstalling Windows 10 Pro from a USB drive created with the Media Creation Tool. When asked to save files, I chose to perform a new install, since the hard driver was empty.

Now it asks for a product key. I have a key for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, but I do not have a product key for Windows 10.

The installer won't the installer accept the old 8/8.1 keys.

How can I reinstall Windows 10 Pro on this PC without buying a new license?

Thanks.

:)

GaryGo, Jan 25, 2019

2. Find original win 8 product keys used?

That key should still be usable to install 8.1. Technically, since you used it to install Windows 10, if you use it to install Windows 8.1, you should stop using the version of Windows 10 you activated with it. As far as I know though, its not enforced in any manner.
    I upgraded my laptop from 8.1 Pro (MSDN Retail key) to windows 10 Pro. Then months latter, reinstalled 8.1 Pro with the original key on that laptop. It activated with no issues. I then clean installed 10 Pro on that same laptop with a skip key and it activated with no issues. The 8.1 key was not blacklisted etc. I don't "think" its tied to the Windows 10 activation in any way. No way of proving it though.
    I keep a detailed list of what product keys I've used on what PC. Windows and office etc. Saves me from any guess work latter on. *Wink
    Then if I have to reinstall a previous OS I can use the original key and not worry about activation issues.

alphanumeric, Jan 25, 2019
  3. RobCoxXA Win User
    Win 10 Pro upgrade using Win 8 Pro product key

I just bought a new computer running Win 10 Home. When I went to upgrade to Win 10 Pro using my Win 8 Pro product key from my old computer, the upgrade wouldn't activate.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch of error messages (mainly 0xC004C003) and am being told windows isn't activated. I can't seem to get my activated Win 10 Home back.

I don't have a product key for the Win 10 Home because it came pre-installed. There's no product code recorded on the packaging or labelling on the device.

So:

How do I either

• activate the Win Pro upgrade, or
    • Get my activated Win 10 home back?

RobCoxXA, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key

Upgrade Windows 7 PRO Product key to Window 10 PRO Product Key

Dear,

Kindly be informed that 2 months ago I upgraded my laptop from win 7 PRO to win 10 PRO without asking any product key and now I need to reinstall windows 10 in my laptop for fresh installation so how can we activate this windows 10 with original product
    key using Windows 7 Pro product key.

Md Sakir Hussain, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key

1. Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key - Similar Threads - Installing Pro original

2. Win 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro product key: Hi,I have a pc where the motherboard died and a retail licence of Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap it to a new build pc. The retailer say they don’t sell Microsoft products any more but they never sent me a product key email. Spoke with licensing phone support who say contact...
  3. Win 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Pro product key: Hi,I have a pc where the motherboard died and a retail licence of Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap it to a new build pc. The retailer say they don’t sell Microsoft products any more but they never sent me a product key email. Spoke with licensing phone support who say contact...
  4. Win 10 Pro product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. new fresh install of Win 11 Pro - but will not activate with my Win 10 Pro Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new fresh install of Win 11 Pro - but will not activate with my Win 10 Pro Product Key: Did a fresh install of Win 11 Pro after upgrading hardware using new motherboard, cpu, and hard drive. I am not able to activate Windows 11 using my valid Windows 10 Product key. Or keys - have 3 others not used and they won't work either although all are valid.Troubleshoot...
  6. new fresh install of Win 11 Pro - but will not activate with my Win 10 Pro Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new fresh install of Win 11 Pro - but will not activate with my Win 10 Pro Product Key: Did a fresh install of Win 11 Pro after upgrading hardware using new motherboard, cpu, and hard drive. I am not able to activate Windows 11 using my valid Windows 10 Product key. Or keys - have 3 others not used and they won't work either although all are valid.Troubleshoot...
  7. Win 10 Pro Product Key

Win 10 Pro Product Key: Hello, I bought a laptop with an OEM version, that I subsequently upgraded to a full version installed via download. How do I find my product key? I have run CMD as an Administrator and entered wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey, but I suspect...
  8. Can’t activate win 10 with original product key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t activate win 10 with original product key: I updated my girlfriends old laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and now it tells me to activate windows, but when i try to use the old key printed on the bottom of the laptop it just gives me a error message. Could the key be to old? submitted by /u/Frozen-bones [link]...
  9. Using Win10 (originally was Win7) product key for new PC installation

Using Win10 (originally was Win7) product key for new PC installation: Hi, like many users my laptop using a genuine Win7 product key previously was upgraded to Win10. I'm currently facing windows login issue in which i tried to repair and so but it didn't help. As my laptop is quite old, i'm planning to purchase a replacement desktop...meaning...
  10. win 10 upgrade asking for product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 10 upgrade asking for product key: Hi, on my work laptop, i have received the win 10 app and it was ready to upgrade, As it was my work laptop I did not at the time but I did use the download to create a USB and I have updated two personal PCs with no issue. I now have permission to upgrade the original work...