Windows 10: Installing Win10 on a secondary drive

Discus and support Installing Win10 on a secondary drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys, this is probably one of the most common topics but I can't find a clean answer to my specific question. I've got two SSDs, a small old one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Weedoh, Mar 6, 2020.

1. /u/Weedoh Win User

Installing Win10 on a secondary drive

Hey guys,

this is probably one of the most common topics but I can't find a clean answer to my specific question.

I've got two SSDs, a small old one and a big new one. Due to problems of certain software I want the big drive to be my new main drive with Win10 on it. Currently it doesnt have any Windows installed but its almost full to the brim (enough space for Win10 left ofcourse).

I've mounted myself a USB stick using Rufus to install Win10 on the big drive but what I've read so far clearly stated that I'll lose all my data if there's no version of Windows installed on it. I want to keep that from happening and I don't have a drive to backup 1TB either.

Is there a solution to keep all the data on the big drive and install Win10 via USB stick?

Thanks a lot in advance!

submitted by /u/Weedoh
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Weedoh, Mar 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Mar 6, 2020
  3. lvr181 Win User
    Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive.

Win10 does not "see" it!
    But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive!

How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie.

Thanks.

lvr181, Mar 6, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

apps not working on secondary drive

Hi Lomavista,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Which apps are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Install all app updates from Windows Store.

Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store

Step 2: I suggest you to download and run the app troubleshooter from the below link and check if it helps.

Run the Windows App Troubleshooter

Do let us know if you are able to use all apps from secondary drive. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Installing Win10 on a secondary drive - Similar Threads - Installing Win10 secondary

2. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  3. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  4. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive: I had my main hdd lock up and when I restarted it went to repair pc which it could not do. When I go into the advance options I have been able to use the recovery key to turn off the drive but it still will not let me repair the start up. So I went ahead and installed the new...
  6. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive: I had my main hdd lock up and when I restarted it went to repair pc which it could not do. When I go into the advance options I have been able to use the recovery key to turn off the drive but it still will not let me repair the start up. So I went ahead and installed the new...
  7. Bitlocker on secondary drive after installing new drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Repairing a main Windows 10 drive from a secondary Win10 drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Repairing a main Windows 10 drive from a secondary Win10 drive.: TL:DR Can I Repair my NVME drive install from An HDD install using simple tools or should I just rescue files and reinstall. Here’s the sitch. I’m playing a game right one of my apps stopped responding despite being reopened several times. I restart the computer only to be...
  9. Secondary drive showing as RAW after Win10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary drive showing as RAW after Win10 update: I'm rather late with updating to Win10, but yesterday I upgraded my Win 7 machine to Win 10. Everything went perfect except one of my HDD's is no longer being recognized. Yesterday it was simply not being detected; after a reboot however it is now seen in the Disk Manager as...
  10. Any Installer not working on secondary drive

Any Installer not working on secondary drive: During install of VM VirtualBox 5.1.18 on Windows 10 I get an error when installing to another drive (D*Smile, but on my main Windows harddrive (C*Smile it works just fine. I've tried installing other programs but they get interrupted as well. When the installer tries to make...