Windows 10: Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk

Discus and support Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So i had to replace my hard drive in my laptop and i'm trying to install Win10 onto the replacement hard drive. I've tried using windows creation tool... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LoudCaliBOY23, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk

So i had to replace my hard drive in my laptop and i'm trying to install Win10 onto the replacement hard drive. I've tried using windows creation tool onto a usb device but when i plugged it into the laptop it didn't boot from the USB drive and i was prompted to install an operating system. I ran system diagnostics and the hard drive is detected. I figured that i could just plug the laptops hard drive into my desktop and to my surprise that did work but now i'm trying to figure out how to choose which drive to install windows 10 using windows media creation tool.

Does any one know a work around or some third party application that will allow for me to choose which drive windows 10 is installed on?

:)

LoudCaliBOY23, Aug 23, 2019
  2. newluigi Win User

Running Win10 pro clobbers Win7 hard disk

Obviously I have to be more detailed about the configuration:

All my desktops and notebooks have the same configuration:

4 partitions, named Boot, Application, Data and User Data.

Step 1: To be able to test Win 10 I made a 1to1 copy of my Win7 hard disk to another hard disk and disabled the original installation. After that I made an update from Win7 Ult to Win8 pro on the copied disk, as mentioned I have three Win8 installion packs
    bought but never used it after testing!

Step2: Downloading Win 10pro and upgrade the Win8 installation, all this takes time but Win10 worked as expected.

Step 3: Enable in BIOS hard disk with Win7Ult, reboot win10, 2nd hard disk is correctly recognized and Win10 is working.

Step 4: Switching off hard disk (already in an switchable environment) with Win10 installation and reboot hard disk with Win7Ult, error message shows up, that the partitions have to bee checked!

I hope this will clarify the subject

Regards

Luigi

newluigi, Aug 23, 2019
  3. newluigi Win User

Step 1: To be able to test Win 10 I made a 1to1 copy of my Win7 hard disk to another hard disk and disabled the original installation. After that I made an update from Win7 Ult to Win8 pro on the copied disk, as mentioned I have three Win8 installion packs
    bought but never used it after testing!

Step2: Downloading Win 10pro and upgrade the Win8 installation, all this takes time but Win10 worked as expected.

Step 3: Enable in BIOS hard disk with Win7Ult, reboot win10, 2nd hard disk is correctly recognized and Win10 is working.

Step 4: Switching off hard disk (already in an switchable environment) with Win10 installation and reboot hard disk with Win7Ult, error message shows up, that the partitions have to bee checked!

Regards

Luigi

No answer to above description, ( Steps 1 to 5)

newluigi, Aug 23, 2019
  4. newluigi Win User

Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk

Step 1: To be able to test Win 10 I made a 1to1 copy of my Win7 hard disk to another hard disk and disabled the original installation. After that I made an update from Win7 Ult to Win8 pro on the copied disk, as mentioned I have three Win8 installation
    packs bought but never used it after testing!

Regards

Luigi

No answer to above description, ( Steps 1 to 5)

I am still waiting for a reply, up to now no Microsoft support engineer seems to be able to clarify the problem!

Regards

Luigi

newluigi, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk

1. Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk - Similar Threads - Installing Win10 separate

2. Separate Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate Hard Drive: My C Drive only has 100Gb free. Will I be able to install Microsoft Flight Sim data on the E drive where I have lots of space? Bryan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-hard-drive/a74a3df4-ef72-402b-95d5-6813869a431f
  3. Dual booting Win10 from an image on two separate disks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Win10 from an image on two separate disks: Hello Forum! Without giving a long back story like I started with, let's just say, Microsoft updates, audio, latency, WTF is going on and why didn't I disable automatic updates? Way back when, I cloned my old HDD's to SSD's and didn't realize that I lost my system reserved...
  4. Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk

Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk: Dear Sir My hard disk is corrupted. How will I install windows in another hard disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-corrupted-need-to-install-windows-in/87253f42-3d08-4508-9f58-b1e9fc928311
  5. OS on separate hard drive.

OS on separate hard drive.: I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to reinstall the OS again. The only problem I have is that some of the software and apps that I've installed on other hard...
  6. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?: In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port? So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions and did fresh install. Prior to the fresh install win10 refused to boot to the desktop if that other win7 drive was plugged...
  7. Installing a large hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing a large hard disk: Hello! If this has been asked before, please point me to the relevant thread. A friend of mine recently bought a hard disk 8TB and he did not manage to install it correctly. Unfortunately I live far from him and I will have the chance to visit him at weekend. Before...
  8. Disk partitioning, win10 installation

Disk partitioning, win10 installation: [img] Hello. Can somebody explain me what EFI System Partition is doing? Should i remove it? I've tryied already to install win10 from USB multiple times. After installation, pc restarts and starts to display UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, or , if i insert USB again and click...
  9. How to install Win10 Pro to a new empty hard disk.

How to install Win10 Pro to a new empty hard disk.: I need to replace my failed system disk with a new one and wonder how I can go about installing a new win 10 bought and downloaded from Microsoft. I imagine the process would be the same as for a new custom built computer. I miss being able to buy a Windows on a DVD. Thank...
  10. Installing win10 on separate drive for testing

Installing win10 on separate drive for testing: Hi everyone I have 2 hard drives in my PC with win 7 pro 64 installed on each. I don't use a dual boot system I just swap the connectors when I want to use my other installation. Lets call my main installation (which I use the most) W1 and my other installation W2. FYI I own...