Windows 10: Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%

Discus and support Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86% in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have made a bootable USB using Rufus as the windows media creation tool could not find my USB. I'm now trying to install Win10 onto a fresh HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Christyful, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%

I have made a bootable USB using Rufus as the windows media creation tool could not find my USB.

I'm now trying to install Win10 onto a fresh HDD and the the installation is stuck at 86%. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks!

Christy

:)

Christyful, Dec 26, 2016

2. How will I know that the Win7 to Win10 upgrade is ready?

I bought a new, larger HDD and installed vanilla Win7 on it (call it "new-Win7-HDD"). I then performed Windows Updates until KB3035583 was installed. I then did the "Get Windows 10" exercise and was informed that my upgrade is now reserved and
    I'll be notified when it's ready.

So I could have a working system while I wait, I pulled out new-Win7-HDD and substituted my old HDD (call it "old-Win7-HDD").

Question 1: How will I know it's time to switch back to new-Win7-HDD (so that the upgrade can be completed)?

Question 2: Would it be a good idea to uninstall KB3035583 from old-Win7-HDD so that the upgrade isn't done on the wrong HDD?

Notes:

When new-Win7-HDD is upgraded, call that "new-Win10-HDD".

Once I have new-Win10-HDD, I will retire old-Win7-HDD.

Once I have new-Win10-HDD, I plan to do whatever needs to be done to create a clean install, then wipe new-Win10-HDD and do a clean install <<<<---- COMMENT?

That's my plan, and those are my questions. (I couldn't find any existing article or forum post that specifically addressed Question 1.)

Thank You.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Dec 26, 2016
  3. My HDD died, how can I update to Windows 10?

Unfortunately, my HDD died. It was licensed for Win7 and upgraded to Win10 for free.

I installed Win7 (same license key) on a new HDD, and I was wondering how can I install Win10 back.

Thank you.

Shaked Kattan, Dec 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%

USB 2.0 flash drives work better for Windows 10 installs as well as plugging then into black USB 2 ports and not blue USB 3 ports. The fact that MCT could not find the USB thumb drive should have been a danger sign.

Also Rufus causes people a lot of problems if they don't select just exactly the correct combination of the overly complicated settings. There are much more reliable ways of creating the USB flash drive.

Also, have nothing connected to the computer other than mouse, keyboard and monitor. Connect other devices after Windows is installed.

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2016
Thema:

Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%

1. Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86% - Similar Threads - Installing Win10 HDD

2. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  3. Update 2004 stuck at 86%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update 2004 stuck at 86%: I am trying to update to the 2004 update and I'm currently at the bluescreen that says"Waiting on updates 86%. Don't turn off your PC, this will take a while. Your PC will restart several times". It has been running like this for three days now. Can I somehow shut it off...
  4. stuck at 86%

stuck at 86%: My surface is stuck at 86% of a download for over 3 days. After 2 days I have tried to shut it off and 2 hours later when I turned it on it is at the same place meaning blue screen saying working on updates 86% Don't turn off your PC. I do see that the 5 round dots are still...
  5. Windows 10 Feature Update will not install stuck at 86%

Windows 10 Feature Update will not install stuck at 86%: I have been trying to install Windows 10 latest Feature update, but it keeps sticking at 86%. my last attempt ran for 24 hours, and did not move past 86%. My first attempt was to run the install from the Windows Update screen, having ran "Check for Updates" the with the...
  6. Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD

Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD: I have a Lenova laptop with a new HDD. I had hoped to install Win10Pro from a CD but it runs into a problem and shows the 3 partitions. One has 931GB tot space with 931 avail and 2 other small partitions when I say Next, I get a message saying "could not create a new Part...
  7. Windows install stuck on 86% for hours. What to do?

Windows install stuck on 86% for hours. What to do?: Hello, I was going to re-install Windows on my Inspiron 5000 Series to clean it up a little. I went for the option of refreshing Windows I think that's what it's called. Windows was supposed to re-install and keep my files but wipe all third party programs. I selected the...
  8. Win10 x86 installation on clean HDD is stuck in a loop

Win10 x86 installation on clean HDD is stuck in a loop: This is a continuation of a journey to update my Acer laptop (specs in My Computer below) to the current version of Win Pro v.1903. It started in the "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" when trying to re-install Win10 Pro x86 thread in the BSOD forum section, after trying to do an...
  9. Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86%

Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86%: Hi all, trying to upgrade my desktop (self-built) from Win7 to Win10 but it keeps getting stuck at 86% (configuring settings 46%). Since at that point there is no task manager or anything and my system has no hdd activity light it's hard to tell if anything is still...
  10. hdd broke, need help on installing new win10 to the new hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    hdd broke, need help on installing new win10 to the new hdd: hi, laptop's hdd broke, i put new one in but stuck on how to install win10 i found an iso version from microsoft Access Denied i downloaded it, how to make bootable usb? 72961