Windows 10: Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...

Discus and support Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'll be installing windows 10 on a harddrive (1TB SSD) I'm replacing my old one (1TB 7200rpm) with, on my HP Pavilion laptop (~4 years old). I'd like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/OlegRu, Jan 4, 2021.

1. /u/OlegRu Win User

Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...

I'll be installing windows 10 on a harddrive (1TB SSD) I'm replacing my old one (1TB 7200rpm) with, on my HP Pavilion laptop (~4 years old).

I'd like to have least amount of annoying extra bloatware/adware/extra background processes etc., so the new windows is as clean as possible, and then just my backed-up files on there.

I've read that making a win10 copy using the Media Creation Tool on microsoft's website gives a pretty clean version, but would doing this instead of using my current windows installation (which will probably come with more of that extra crap) to make a bootable USB cause an issue with drivers and stuff?

What is the best way to do this in my situation - have a clean as possible win10 installation, but not end up with missing drivers etc.

submitted by /u/OlegRu
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/OlegRu, Jan 4, 2021

2. New build PC w/SSD and new HD + new Win10 Retail usb + old HD with Win10 oem

I was informed that I can not use my current copy of Win10 on my new build because it's OEM. Soooo, I bought ANOTHER copy of Win10 Retail on usb from the Microsoft Store.

Now my question:

I'll install the new copy of Win10 onto my new computer's SSD and will be set to boot from it. All my pics, files, music, etc is on my old HD (along with Win10 oem). Since I'll be booting from the SSD with the new copy of Win10, will it cause problems if
    I simply add the old HD to my new build, to access all my files? Or do I need to painstakingly transfer everything from it to the new HD through a usb?

I won't be able to run both computers at the same time because I'll be using the power supply from the old one.

Any suggestions?

MichaelDeJarnette, Jan 4, 2021
  3. Convert from HD to SSD and install to new computer

Hi Microsoft,

I have windows 10 pro and Microsoft office 365 installed at old computer.

I planed to convert The HD to SSD and than The SSD will install to new computer.

What must step/procedure be followed to successfully the installation at new computer?

Thank you.

AriefSulistyawan, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...

Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD

My 5 or 6 year old HP desktop is experiencing some severe hardware issues with the hard drive. I've decided that it might be best to keep the basic machine, but replace the old platter hard drive with a SSD drive. I've currently got Windows 10 Professional,
    which I upgraded from Windows 8.* Pro. Bottom line is I have a valid Windows 10 Pro license. So there's a few questions I want to ask, in preparation for doing this.

First question is how do I transfer my Windows 10 Pro license from one old hard drive (a platter drive) to a new SSD drive? I've heard that Microsoft has made this easier, but I still don't know what the steps are.

And how about the data from the apps that we're using? I've got Office 365 Home Edition and have 6 Windows Profiles currently on this machine. What's the best way to migrate them off this old HD to the new SSD?

Doctor-Who, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and...

1. Installing Win10 on new SSD (replacing old HD) - question about making USB flashdrive and... - Similar Threads - Installing Win10 SSD

2. Replace hd and win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace hd and win10: Acer 7551-7422 hard drive totally dead. They have never backed up the computer. The computer did upgrade quite a while back from Windows 7 home premium to Windows 10. I am installing a new ssd. I was told I needed to reinstall Win7 then do an upgrade but for some reason that...
  3. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  4. Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD: My 5 or 6 year old HP desktop is experiencing some severe hardware issues with the hard drive. I've decided that it might be best to keep the basic machine, but replace the old platter hard drive with a SSD drive. I've currently got Windows 10 Professional, which I upgraded...
  5. Question about making flashdrive bootable

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about making flashdrive bootable: If I make a flash drive a bootable one as a backup option to access an external hard drive that I've created a disk image to, and I want to use that flash drive for other things in the meantime while keeping the boot files on there, would it be safe to move all the Macrium...
  6. Installing New SSD Questions

Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  7. Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized: I'm trying to replace my 1TB HD with a similar size SanDisk SSD. I plan to use Apricorn Ez Gig IV to clone the HD to the SSD. I cannot get the SSD to show as a valid drive on File Explorer and the software shows the drive but says it cannot find it. I can see the new drive in...
  8. Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question: The hard drive in my laptop is dying. I am upgrading to an SSD this weekend. I have a couple of hopefully quick questions. My laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. As soon as I was able to I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I really do not want to purchase a copy of...
  9. How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive?: I currently have a 128gb SSD HD with Win10 (c drive), I also have a 2 TB HD to hold games and media, and a newly purchased 256gb SSD HD. My question is how do I install the new 256gb to replace the 128gb HD? I don't want to clone anything, but would like to use the files...
  10. Replacing HD without Win10 installation media

Replacing HD without Win10 installation media: I bought one of those cheapish mini-PCs (MSI Cubi N) that come with RAM, HD and Windows 10 OS. The HD is a slow 32GB mSata SSD which I want to replace with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. As the mini-PC did not come with any Windows 10 installation media, I have to find another way to...