Windows 10: Installing win10 on separate drive for testing

Discus and support Installing win10 on separate drive for testing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone I have 2 hard drives in my PC with win 7 pro 64 installed on each. I don't use a dual boot system I just swap the connectors when I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by treads, Jul 29, 2015.

1. treads Win User

Installing win10 on separate drive for testing

Hi everyone
    I have 2 hard drives in my PC with win 7 pro 64 installed on each. I don't use a dual boot system I just swap the connectors when I want to use my other installation. Lets call my main installation (which I use the most) W1 and my other installation W2. FYI I own a retail win 7 pro disk and I have a win 10 installation disk made from the downloaded iso.

I would like to upgrade Win2 to win 10 for testing and want to know the best way to do it
    My questions :
    1) . Win1 has the upgrade to windows 10 icon in the lower right of the taskbar but Win2 doesn't , does this icon need to be there before u can install win 10?
    2) can I install win10 from inside windows 7 without having to re-install software or do I have to boot from the DVD and do a fresh install?
    3)Can I install win 10 as many times as I like from the installation disk eg If i buy a new hard disk or just want a fresh install.
    Please let me know if there are any other issues I haven't mentioned.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your replies.

:)

treads, Jul 29, 2015

2. Win7 Install Strategy for Upgrade to Win10

Hello Community,

I have a question: what is the best installation strategy for Win7 to upgrade to Win10?

(a) create two drive partitions C & D from a single drive,

(b) install Win7 on drive partition -C (approx. 20GB or greater) for later upgrade to Win10,

(c) can the application software (ie: Office 2010) be installed and operate on drive partition -D separate from the OS?

My thinking is since I plan to upgrade to Win10, why would I want to reinstall all my application software a second time!

Second, is it a good idea to maintain a separate partition for the OS only or does it matter?

Thanks, Kenemla

KennethCunningham, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Coxwain Win User
    WIN10 /WIN7 Dual boot, WIN7 forced to upgrade to win10, now I can only boot to Primary WIN10 drive

Could I actually keep two copies of WIN10 and boot them separately on two separate drives?

Coxwain, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Installing win10 on separate drive for testing

In Direct reply to your questions.

1) You do not need the icon, you can install using this link > Windows 10 so long as your copy of windows is Genuine, it will activate without issues. For this method, you will need your Installation License Key for activation.

2) You need to upgrade within the Windows 7 OS to get the free activation. After you have completed the upgrade, you can perform a clean install which should activate correctly.

3) Depending on the changes to your Hardware, you are free to reinstall windows as many times as you want. Using this excerpt from Brinks installation tutorial.

Installing win10 on separate drive for testing [​IMG]
    Tip

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.
    [/b][/b][/b][/b]

I hope this answers your questions! If you need any help, we are here.

Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015
  5. treads Win User
    Ok great thanks, so just to double check re: "You need to upgrade within the Windows 7 OS to get the free activation."
    This mean run the win10 install from the disk from after I have booted into win 7 , yes?

treads, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Yes, you will need to upgrade from within Windows 7 first for the activation.

Windows Sniper, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Installing win10 on separate drive for testing

1. Installing win10 on separate drive for testing - Similar Threads - Installing win10 separate

2. Installing Windows 10 to a Separate Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 to a Separate Drive: Hello. First, my apologies for not being fluent in English. I want to install Windows 10 Pro to a separate drive. Currently I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3 Build 9600) in one drive. Let's call the Windows 8.1 Pro drive Sabrent A, and the drive I want to install Windows...
  3. Separate Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate Hard Drive: My C Drive only has 100Gb free. Will I be able to install Microsoft Flight Sim data on the E drive where I have lots of space? Bryan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-hard-drive/a74a3df4-ef72-402b-95d5-6813869a431f
  4. SEPARATE DRIVES

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SEPARATE DRIVES: Hello r/Windows10! My PC currently has 1 HDD running Windows 10. I would like to add another hard drive to encrypt private information. I would like the drive to be inaccessible by my current version of Windows and the drive should have its own OS that I can boot into from...
  5. Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk

Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk: So i had to replace my hard drive in my laptop and i'm trying to install Win10 onto the replacement hard drive. I've tried using windows creation tool onto a usb device but when i plugged it into the laptop it didn't boot from the USB drive and i was prompted to install an...
  6. Install os on external drive to test laptop

Install os on external drive to test laptop: I have a Samsung laptop but I would like to build a with Windows 10 however it seems like there is no hard drive in the machine as when I try to boot nothing happens and when I looked in the bios I do not see a hard drive connected Is it possible to install the os on an...
  7. Installing fresh Windows 10 on a separate drive

Installing fresh Windows 10 on a separate drive: I'll try to cut my story short. The Acer I bought almost two years ago comes with no-brand M.2 SSD. It broke after a while so I bough Crucial MX500 2.5 SATA, that's because at that time I didn't even look inside and thought my laptop still runs on Sata. Anyway I connected it...
  8. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?: In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port? So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions and did fresh install. Prior to the fresh install win10 refused to boot to the desktop if that other win7 drive was plugged...
  9. EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives

EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives: Hi - I am thinking about transitioning from Win7 to Win10. I have been running Win7x64 for a very long time on my main PC. I have done a lot of installs over the years along with low level customizations. To me, it probably would be best to do a clean install of Win10 on a...
  10. Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro

Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro: I have a Dell workstation (xeon mpu) with dual 1 TB HDDs... Win 7 pro is installed on one drive, and the other is blank, newly formated... I want to be able to boot off either drive... the win 7 HDD, or off the Win 10 HDD. I realize I may have to deal with BIOS boot sequence...