Windows 10: Installing Win10 on SSD only and using HD for other programs.

Discus and support Installing Win10 on SSD only and using HD for other programs. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10. I have Win7 Pro product key. I want to install Win10 using ISO on SSD and use SSD to boot only and Dard Drive for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by StevenB58, Mar 11, 2019.

1. StevenB58 Win User

Installing Win10 on SSD only and using HD for other programs.

I upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10.
    I have Win7 Pro product key.
    I want to install Win10 using ISO on SSD and use SSD to boot only and Dard Drive for other programs.
    I have downloaded "MediaCreationTool 1809" to create ISO.
    What proble will I have with Digital Key?
    Will Microsoft allow me to have Win10 on Dard Drive and SSD?

:)

StevenB58, Mar 11, 2019
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Mar 11, 2019
  3. New build PC w/SSD and new HD + new Win10 Retail usb + old HD with Win10 oem

I was informed that I can not use my current copy of Win10 on my new build because it's OEM. Soooo, I bought ANOTHER copy of Win10 Retail on usb from the Microsoft Store.

Now my question:

I'll install the new copy of Win10 onto my new computer's SSD and will be set to boot from it. All my pics, files, music, etc is on my old HD (along with Win10 oem). Since I'll be booting from the SSD with the new copy of Win10, will it cause problems if
    I simply add the old HD to my new build, to access all my files? Or do I need to painstakingly transfer everything from it to the new HD through a usb?

I won't be able to run both computers at the same time because I'll be using the power supply from the old one.

Any suggestions?

MichaelDeJarnette, Mar 11, 2019
  4. xkm1948 Win User

Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to migrate my Win10 to my NVMe SSD. Installation wise there should be no problem. However I cannot seem to be able to erase the old Windows 10 on the SATA SSD. If I boot from USB Win10 Installation media it only ask me whether I want to repair the SATA SSD Win10 or not. Any ideas on how to complete erase the SSD that currently have Win10 on it? I tried sanitize drive and PSID revert in Win10, neither would work. The SATA SSD is Crucial MX200.

xkm1948, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Installing Win10 on SSD only and using HD for other programs. - Similar Threads - Installing Win10 SSD

2. Office and several other programs will only run in Administrator mode after Win10 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office and several other programs will only run in Administrator mode after Win10 update: Yesterday everything was working fine and Office programs all of them, Adobe Photoshop Elements and Firefox browser all worked find from my local Administrator account. When I logged on this morning 04/08/2022 I initially got a blue windows 'configuring screen' after which...
  3. Installed 2nd internal HD SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed 2nd internal HD SSD: I've installed a 2nd HD in my Acer ATC-710, It is not recognized by Windows 10. Help please. Doug Reed *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-2nd-internal-hd-ssd/00451f62-2c60-45b8-90c5-0a5564e3a3c1
  4. Replacing notebook HD with SSD (use HD for internal storage)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing notebook HD with SSD (use HD for internal storage): A mobile workstation came with 750 GB HD and 32 GB flash cache. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...tation/5387509 There are two HD bays. One has the HD in a chassis and the other is empty (no chassis). The 32 GB SSD is flash cache. It cannot be used for storage. The...
  5. Clean install on SSD, how do I load other programs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on SSD, how do I load other programs?: I'm upgrading my Dell laptop to an SSD and rather than clone the HHD I'd rather do a clean install. (Current drive behaves odd at times, even with updated Windows 10, even has a random admin account.) Is there a good way to see what's on the drive now so I can have an idea...
  6. Win10 upgrade on small SSD now problems with MS-programs and only MS.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 upgrade on small SSD now problems with MS-programs and only MS.: Hi, I already had some problems on my Windows 7 64-bit machine due to Windows being installed on a small SSD (128GB) - mainly that IE wasn't working - but now after upgrading to Windows 10 it has expanded to a lot more MS-programs. (I have a second SSD drive of 512GB...
  7. Full win10 install on ssd

Full win10 install on ssd: Hi my actual os: Win 7. Home edition. Installed on hdd i have mounted a 120 g sandisk SSD in my desktop so i would like to install a FULL. (Not a update) win10 on my new ssd i disconnect my win7 hdd ( i want to keep this win 7 hdd) after, can i follow the...
  8. Replacing HD without Win10 installation media

Replacing HD without Win10 installation media: I bought one of those cheapish mini-PCs (MSI Cubi N) that come with RAM, HD and Windows 10 OS. The HD is a slow 32GB mSata SSD which I want to replace with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. As the mini-PC did not come with any Windows 10 installation media, I have to find another way to...
  9. Win10 Pro does not see installed programs on second HD drive?

Win10 Pro does not see installed programs on second HD drive?: Got a perfect upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro for any programs that were on the boot disk. However any programs that were loaded on a second (non-bootable) disk were not recognized at all. Is there any way, other than reloading all those programs, to get Win10 Pro to know...
  10. win10 install to SSD

win10 install to SSD: Windows install says ( Can't install on USB flash drive.). That's how it sees my SSD. Do I have to put my original HDD back in, image SSD to it and then try to install? 13087

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd and hd how to only install on the hd drive

2. alternative to disconnecting old hdd to fresh install of winodws on ssd

3. installing programs on other disk ssd

4. copy win 7 programs and files to new pc win10 ssd,
  5. using ssd for windows only