Windows 10: Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help.

Discus and support Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings everyone, I have just installed window 10 from window 7, some of my files are still in tact but my personal files are gone?? I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Akira, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Akira Win User

Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help.

Greetings everyone,

I have just installed window 10 from window 7, some of my files are still in tact but my personal files are gone?? I have already went to window.old files and check them but they are blank!! What can I do, I am in deep shit now, is there anyway I can get back my files and I don't think I have system restore.

Thank you.

Regards,

:)

Akira, Aug 5, 2015

2. Help! My files are gone

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to answer your query.

You mentioned that you transferred some files and folders to the temporary account unknowingly. Unfortunately, every time you are logged in through a temporary account, any action or settings/files gets deleted the moment you sign out or restart the computer.
    Therefore, if you have not created a backup of your files and folders, I'm afraid it is not possible to recover the lost data.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Sp1809 Win User
    Help! My files are gone

Please help

I recently upgraded to windows 1p and when first logging in i have just discovered i did so on a temporary account. But i did not know this at the time and worked on a number of things and transfered a number of files and folders to that desktop account.
    When i turned the computer off and then on the next day all of my files are gone.

Can someone please help me to get these files back. Ive lost many photos of my son and also assignments for my uni.

Please i need help to try and recover them. I have also used many recovery systems such as recuva etc.

Sp1809, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help.

What type of files and where were they originally located?

alphanumeric, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Akira Win User
    Hello,

The files are on my desktop when it was in version Window 7. It is in a account named FYP, now it is gone from my desktop. It is a MATLAB file, a programmer's program.

Akira, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Actual files of just shortcuts to the files? Was your Desktop folder in the default location? You selected the "Keep files and programs" option during the upgrade right? I've done 3 upgrades, 1 from Windows 7, and didn't lose anything. My user folders were even moved to a second drive. I have a bunch of shortcuts in my desktop folder, I do not keep any files their.

7. System Restore points for the old OS are wiped during the upgrade to a new OS. Then new ones are saved as time goes on.

8. Akira Win User

Hello,

It is the actual file, not a short cut. The Keep files and programs is at default right? If so, I did choose that one. I did not change the default settings when changing versions. Why would anyone want to put delete all the files in window upgrade anyway??

Thanks.

Akira, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Selecting not to keep them basically does a clean install instead of an upgrade. Doing that can eliminate issues from incompatible software etc. If it was an actual file it should be in the Windows.old in the desktop folder for that account.

10. Akira Win User
    The folder in window.old is blank. Is this the end for me?..

Akira, Aug 5, 2015
  11. If you didn't back those files up to another location, yes, they are likely gone.

12. Akira Win User
    Hello,

What just happened?? Seriously this Window 10 is giving me a heart attack. When I go search from my COMPUTER and then picked the FYP user and search for the desktop, the item is there!! It is not gone but why it is not showing at the desktop at all?!! Omg I was literally crying 5 minutes ago. Everything seems to be fine. Thank you for your time Mr. alphanumeric.

Regards,

Akira, Aug 5, 2015
  13. Frank1 Win User

This may not help and maybe you have already double checked, but it's strange that you files are not in Windows old. I did a clean install of Windows 10. After it was installed I looked for a file in windows old and couldn't find it the first time I looked. I then took another look and realized that I looked in the wrong folder. I didn't see that particular folder the first time but when I took a second look, it was there with all my files. Maybe you could look again.

Frank1, Aug 5, 2015
  14. Have you got it set to "Show desktop icons"

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help. - Similar Threads - Installing Window files

2. Need help in clean installation of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help in clean installation of windows 10: My computer came with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) and then did upgrade to windows 10 Recently wanted to do the clean installation of windows 10 so downloaded the windows 10 from microsoft and created iso file of it. while clean installation process found this Name Total Size Free...
  3. Need help in installing Windows 10

Need help in installing Windows 10: Hi, I need help to install Windows 10 in my system as I only have my product key of Windows 7 Home Basic. Please tell me if it is possible to do so! Thanks and Regards, Prateek...
  4. Need help with my HideDropbox.bat file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need help with my HideDropbox.bat file: Hello, I'm getting rather annoyed by the UAC thing popping up on startup every time my HideDropbox.bat file runs and was hoping someone could help me remake it into one that automatically authorises UAC to it. I remember it being possible because someone once did it a...
  5. Need help with a clean Windows 10 install

Need help with a clean Windows 10 install: After using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, then deciding to switch to a local profile, and giving myself Admin privileges, my Windows permissions are so messed up I've decided to start with a clean install. I tried reinstalling Windows hoping to fix some of these...
  6. Help!! Windows 10 gone haywire!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Help!! Windows 10 gone haywire!!: Windows 10 for the past few days has been completely unusable. I can't install any new software. It always returns the error : "Installer integrity check has failed" or "some installation files are corrupt". That's not all. I have serious problem downloading at all. It will...
  7. Need help! windows 10 installation is not working.

Need help! windows 10 installation is not working.: Hi, so i put in my windows 10 USB flash drive and went into my BIOS. I booted using the USB as the boot method. I selected a 64 bit installation, the screen turns a dark blue and loads then before i can do any action with the mouse or keyboard i get this message that stops me...
  8. Taskbar Items Gone - Need Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Items Gone - Need Help: Hi, My PC has decided to not show up my taskbar items today! The only icons are: Start button, cortana, task view and the notification center. The thing is that none of these will open and all my other icons are gone, even the date and time. I have tried to restart my pc and...
  9. Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD

Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD: Hey guys. So here's my situation: I have like 200gb worth of files on my current harddrive and I recently bought a 500gb SSD. I'd like to basically clone my Windows install and all of my files onto the new SSD. I researched how to do this and learned that a good thing to try...
  10. Need Help in Windows 10 Installation

Need Help in Windows 10 Installation: Hey guys, I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't know why I didn't have the option to update to Windows 10 normally, it's been two months & I have not got the "Get Windows 10 Icon" even though I have installed all the updates on PC! Anyways, I tried...