Windows 10: Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help.

Discus and support Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings everyone, I have just installed window 10 from window 7, some of my files are still in tact but my personal files are gone?? I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Akira, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Akira Win User

Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help.

Greetings everyone,

I have just installed window 10 from window 7, some of my files are still in tact but my personal files are gone?? I have already went to window.old files and check them but they are blank!! What can I do, I am in deep shit now, is there anyway I can get back my files and I don't think I have system restore.

Thank you.

Regards,

:)

Akira, Aug 5, 2015

2. Help! My files are gone

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to answer your query.

You mentioned that you transferred some files and folders to the temporary account unknowingly. Unfortunately, every time you are logged in through a temporary account, any action or settings/files gets deleted the moment you sign out or restart the computer.
    Therefore, if you have not created a backup of your files and folders, I'm afraid it is not possible to recover the lost data.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Sp1809 Win User
    Help! My files are gone

Please help

I recently upgraded to windows 1p and when first logging in i have just discovered i did so on a temporary account. But i did not know this at the time and worked on a number of things and transfered a number of files and folders to that desktop account.
    When i turned the computer off and then on the next day all of my files are gone.

Can someone please help me to get these files back. Ive lost many photos of my son and also assignments for my uni.

Please i need help to try and recover them. I have also used many recovery systems such as recuva etc.

Sp1809, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help.

What type of files and where were they originally located?

alphanumeric, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Akira Win User
    Hello,

The files are on my desktop when it was in version Window 7. It is in a account named FYP, now it is gone from my desktop. It is a MATLAB file, a programmer's program.

Akira, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Actual files of just shortcuts to the files? Was your Desktop folder in the default location? You selected the "Keep files and programs" option during the upgrade right? I've done 3 upgrades, 1 from Windows 7, and didn't lose anything. My user folders were even moved to a second drive. I have a bunch of shortcuts in my desktop folder, I do not keep any files their.

7. System Restore points for the old OS are wiped during the upgrade to a new OS. Then new ones are saved as time goes on.

8. Akira Win User

Hello,

It is the actual file, not a short cut. The Keep files and programs is at default right? If so, I did choose that one. I did not change the default settings when changing versions. Why would anyone want to put delete all the files in window upgrade anyway??

Thanks.

Akira, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Selecting not to keep them basically does a clean install instead of an upgrade. Doing that can eliminate issues from incompatible software etc. If it was an actual file it should be in the Windows.old in the desktop folder for that account.

10. Akira Win User
    The folder in window.old is blank. Is this the end for me?..

Akira, Aug 5, 2015
  11. If you didn't back those files up to another location, yes, they are likely gone.

12. Akira Win User
    Hello,

What just happened?? Seriously this Window 10 is giving me a heart attack. When I go search from my COMPUTER and then picked the FYP user and search for the desktop, the item is there!! It is not gone but why it is not showing at the desktop at all?!! Omg I was literally crying 5 minutes ago. Everything seems to be fine. Thank you for your time Mr. alphanumeric.

Regards,

Akira, Aug 5, 2015
  13. Frank1 Win User

This may not help and maybe you have already double checked, but it's strange that you files are not in Windows old. I did a clean install of Windows 10. After it was installed I looked for a file in windows old and couldn't find it the first time I looked. I then took another look and realized that I looked in the wrong folder. I didn't see that particular folder the first time but when I took a second look, it was there with all my files. Maybe you could look again.

Frank1, Aug 5, 2015
  14. Have you got it set to "Show desktop icons"

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing Window 10 and my files are gone. Need help. - Similar Threads - Installing Window files

2. My Files Are Gone. Help!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Files Are Gone. Help!!: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one from the board inside my desktop PC and plugged the new one in so that I could set it up. I created a partition and formatted it, then I named it "New Volume". Now when I plugged back in my old one, named...
  3. My Files Are Gone. Help!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Files Are Gone. Help!!: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one from the board inside my desktop PC and plugged the new one in so that I could set it up. I created a partition and formatted it, then I named it "New Volume". Now when I plugged back in my old one, named...
  4. My Files Are Gone. Help!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Files Are Gone. Help!!: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one from the board inside my desktop PC and plugged the new one in so that I could set it up. I created a partition and formatted it, then I named it "New Volume". Now when I plugged back in my old one, names "Storage"...
  5. Need Help on Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help on Windows 10 installation: I've managed to run my installer from a flash drive. But I'm getting stuck at the getting files ready for installation part. Everytime it reaches 69% it gets stuck then after a few moments the installer restarts again from the beginning. I really don't know what to do. Please...
  6. Need help installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help installing Windows 10: AMD StoreMI messed with my drives and I tried to delete the AMD StoreMI device and asked to restart my computer. After I restarted my computer Windows 10 was gone. It was still trying to boot from the AMD StoreMI drive. I installed media creation tool on a USB drive and it...
  7. Need help installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help installing windows 10: Hi This PC had a windows 7 ultimate in 2015 so when microsoft announced free upgrade i got windows 10 pro It worked fine but about Jan-Feb 2019 its hard drive failed(I don't know for sure,my father told me this and he ain't so tech-savvy) Well it had multiple problems but...
  8. Need Help, windows gone extremely wrong

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need Help, windows gone extremely wrong: Okay, so i desperately need help with this i’ve been trying to fix it for over a month now and nothings helped. It doesn’t matter how many times i reinstall windows each time with a new media creation tool there is always the same problem with Missing system DLLs and can not...
  9. Help my Windows 10 is gone

Help my Windows 10 is gone: I bought a laptop it had windows 10 on it then I decided to test out the Enterprise Edition trial but I didn't write down the windows key code down so now I can't downgrade back to basic windows 10 & my trial version expires in 11 days, what I tried was factory resetting to...
  10. windows is gone need help

windows is gone need help: i got a freands computer to do a factory reset on it so that it word run faster after doing it i get a black screen saying boot device not fond plase install operating system on your hard disk what happen did it unstall windows or something ive done this 100 times before and...