Windows 10: installing windows 10 into a partition

Discus and support installing windows 10 into a partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; so i have been using vmware to virtualize some older operating systems like 95 98 ms dos and windows 10 insider builds but windows 10 dev channel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gamers rule, Feb 7, 2021.

1. installing windows 10 into a partition

so i have been using vmware to virtualize some older operating systems like 95 98 ms dos and windows 10 insider builds

but windows 10 dev channel build is not installing on vmware and i want to install it on a drive partition

but how windows only installs it on the c:/ drive

help

:)

Gamers rule, Feb 7, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Carsomyr Win User
    Partition SSD during windows 10 install

I'm assembling a new PC and running a fresh windows 10 install. I'd like to know how to partition the ssd into 2 separate partitions during the windows install (I'm using a bootable usb drive to install Windows).

I want to know if I need to input specific settings for those partitions or if it's all automatic?

I need one partition for Windows on and another for my documents. The ssd has 960gb size.

So I'm guessing it has about 60gb over-provisionning. I could leave out a bit more, but it probably doesn't matter that much

Carsomyr, Feb 7, 2021
  4. installing windows 10 into a partition

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

installing windows 10 into a partition

1. installing windows 10 into a partition - Similar Threads - installing partition

2. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  3. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  4. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  5. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

"KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  6. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...
  7. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...
  8. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  10. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...