Windows 10: Installing windows 10 on a separate hard drive for use on a different computer.

Discus and support Installing windows 10 on a separate hard drive for use on a different computer. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm refurbishing an oldish HP mini PC for my daughter to use. I've already made the media creation tool and now, I want to install windows 10 pro on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ToddClement1, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Installing windows 10 on a separate hard drive for use on a different computer.

I'm refurbishing an oldish HP mini PC for my daughter to use. I've already made the media creation tool and now, I want to install windows 10 pro on the hard drive that is going in the HP using my work computer. Reason being; I know it will need to download a ton of updates and the internet at my house is stupid slow.

My question is; can I use the media creation USB drive to install windows 10 to the HD that will go in her PC currently connected to my work PC as "E:" without affecting any of the other drives? It's been a while since I installed Win10 and I don't remember if it gives you the option to install it on a separate HD. Does it?

Will this cause a booting issue? I am assuming that it wouldn't since I pulled the SSD from my personal Dell MT and put it in the HP to make sure it works and it booted up like it was brand new.

Forgive me if this has been asked and also for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

Todd Clement

:)

ToddClement1, Dec 22, 2020
  2. little cat, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Unable to access external hard drive after Anniversay Update on Windows 10

Hello,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer's website, download the latest chipset drivers, install them manually and check if it helps.

Installing the latest chipset drivers will help you to install the drivers for USB ports.

Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa to install drivers in compatibility mode manually :
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of accessing external hard drive for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Installing windows 10 on a separate hard drive for use on a different computer.

Delta6326, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

Installing windows 10 on a separate hard drive for use on a different computer.

1. Installing windows 10 on a separate hard drive for use on a different computer. - Similar Threads - Installing separate hard

2. Use different networks for separate applications on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use different networks for separate applications on Windows 10.: Hi I have a question to a relatively specific and unique situation.I have 2 networks that I use for different things.A WiFi network that is quite slow but has low ping useful for gamingAnd an ethernet connection that is faster but higher ping useful for video streaming etcIf...
  3. Key purchased, can't use after using, on same computer, different hard drive and install or...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Key purchased, can't use after using, on same computer, different hard drive and install or...: Key purchased, can't use after using, on same computer, different hard drive and install or upgrade from. How do you call customer support??? Ridiculous Microsoft is a massive company, but you can't call anyone and talk live??? Online support can't help this issue....
  4. Question about 2 different windows installations on separate drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about 2 different windows installations on separate drives: I'm installing Windows 10 as a kind of "burner machine" on my second SSD soon, and I just have one question. Let's say I un-assign the drive letter from my main drive in my burner machine, or disable the disk from device manager completely. Will this be enough to stop...
  5. Installing Windows 10 to a Separate Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 to a Separate Drive: Hello. First, my apologies for not being fluent in English. I want to install Windows 10 Pro to a separate drive. Currently I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3 Build 9600) in one drive. Let's call the Windows 8.1 Pro drive Sabrent A, and the drive I want to install Windows...
  6. Separate Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate Hard Drive: My C Drive only has 100Gb free. Will I be able to install Microsoft Flight Sim data on the E drive where I have lots of space? Bryan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-hard-drive/a74a3df4-ef72-402b-95d5-6813869a431f
  7. Activating Windows 10 after swapping hard drive to different computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 after swapping hard drive to different computer: I had the hard drive with Windows 10 from my previous computer put in my current computer. The product key for Windows 10 doesn't work and I get error code 0x803FA067. I've several times. Any solutions or do I have to buy a new product key?...
  8. Windows 10 Installer does not use hard drive

Windows 10 Installer does not use hard drive: I am trying to reinstall Windows 10 on an HP 7800p SFF, however the installer assures me that the drive I am trying to install to cannot be used displaying the following error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to...
  9. OS on separate hard drive.

OS on separate hard drive.: I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to reinstall the OS again. The only problem I have is that some of the software and apps that I've installed on other hard...
  10. Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7: I installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive in my computer to keep from messing up my Windows 7 installation. It appears windows 10 still makes changes to windows 7 even on a separate hard drive. See attached picture. I can not correct this using the system repair disk or...